How many of you use Amino Acids??

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by morningsonshine, Jun 15, 2006.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Dose this help with lymes, i've noticed a few say they use it and was considering adding it to my supplements.

Do you look for certain aminos, of just a good blend??
    I was thinking of trying the one from Pro-health anyone else use it?

Thank you
  2. jarjar

jarjar New Member

My lyme doc is big on testing for amino acids...I tested and needed them but the custom blend charge for what I needed was going to be very expensive. So I buy a blend with all the aminos that I need and I can tell a difference. Take about 3 grams a day.

jay
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

that I posted on the CF/FM forum:

There's a really good overall informative article, "Biochemistry of Lyme Disease: Borrelia burgdorferi Spirochete/Cyst by Prof. Robert W. Bradford and Henry W. Allenthese", if you google 'Townsend Letter Lyme' or the title- Townsend Letter is an alternative medical journal for doctors and public - also backs up what it says with biblios of sc. articles.

Within that article, published Feb/March 2006, these amino acids are listed as helpful against Lyme:

-----------------
    Listing 1: Dietary Supplements Increasing Acetylcholine
    Synthesis Improving Neurologic Function

* Phosphatidylcholine (Lecithin)Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    * Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)
    * Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
    * Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid)
    * Lysine (Amino Acid)
    * S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM) (Sulfur-bound Adenosyl Methionine)

If the inhibition of acetylcholine release were total, Lyme patients and those suffering from food poisoning would not be able to move; they would be completely paralyzed. Since the blockage is only partial, any increase in the amount of available neurotransmitter would benefit anyone experiencing neurotransmitter blockage. For this reason, dietary supplements increasing the amount of available acetylcholine have been shown to benefit Lyme patients. .. "
    -----------------

Somewhere else I also got additional info about what supplements are helpful for Lyme as well but cannot relocate it - but I know it also recommended L-Arginine. This one my son feels has helped him cognitively plus given a bit of energy, but of course if you are prone to herpes breakouts, you may not want to use it.

Hope this helps,
    Victoria

4. bsyounges

bsyounges New Member

my dr.tested me for amino acids.several years ago.
    when i was first refered to a rhumatologist she tested me for tender points, diagnosed me with fibro 2 seconds later and was writing a stack of prescrips for anti-depressants and pain meds 3 seconds later. i asked her for a more natural route and her response was that "all you fibro people have the same complaints, this is what you will take". "she also said i was so depressed that i depressed her just by walking into the room". nice bedside manner.
    i asked her about amino acid treatments i had read about and she poo poo'ed the idea and handed me a stack of presrips.
    i left her office and straight for a local natural pharmacy down the street for a good, balanced amino acid complex and started taking it.

at my 2 week follow up appt with dr. sweetheart she commented on how much better i looked. how i was putting a sentence together easier, my eyes were brighter. she seemed pretty proud of herself. she said i was responding to treatment wonderfully and asked if i had any questions aaabout the meds i was taking. i grinned and told her i never had them filled and told her what i was doing. she was apalled but a med student who was shadowing her appts that day said he knew all about amino acid treatment for depression and fibro and congratulated me on working things out my own way. i haven't been back to her office since.

then i found a local dr. who actually tested for amino acid levels. i tested dangerously below normal levels in all but 1. no wonder i couldn't think. my brain was starving. the lab that does the test will make a compound to meet your specific needs but i found a local compounding pharacy that will make it for less and put it in capsules for me. i have been taking it ever sinse. it is a natural antidepressent for me. it helps with energy levels too. the one time i went off of it, i tried for one week and realized by the 3rd day that i wasn't bothering to get out of bed till 3 and was getting suicidal. i was just too depressed to notice. i started right back on my aminos and haven't stopped since. i figure if it ain't broke............don't fix it.

5 years later i'm waiting for my lyme labs to come back. finally a posible answer.
    good luck, deb
  5. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

Aminos have helped with my emotions and concentration.
    Many others here have posted good results .

Last winter I was desperate and walkied into the health food store and could barely think , and felt almost unsafe driving .

I started taking amino fuel ( liquid) by twinlab after grabbing it off the shelf in desperation . I started noticing a difference REALLY fast .

Do a search on " The Way Up From Down Dr Priscilla Slagle " on google. She advocates aminos for multiple
    purposes , but esp details the benefits of tyrosine and phenylalinine for brain function. You can read about it on her site .
  6. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Thanks bsyounges, great story about aminos and the Dr., they have been a great help to you, i kinda forgot about this for awhile.

annxyz, thanks for the info tip, i was afraid of just buying any old brand with out looking into to it first.

Wasn't sure if any brand would do, or if i needed to know what i was low on first.

I see prohealth carries an amino, haven't tried it yet.

I wonder if i could get a Dr. to test for it, my LLMD won't do anything outside of what internist do. Checks my blood work and prescibes ABX. When i asked about hormne testing and other stuff, he said that would be pracicing outside of his "expertice" and he could get in trouble.

Oh-well, he's a very nice guy doing his best within the system. Our modern medicine just dosen't see us as a "whole" person, just different parts in the same body.