How many of you use Guai why or why not?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krchamp, Dec 5, 2006.

1. krchamp

krchamp New Member

I was just wondering how many of you on the board use or have tried Guai. and why or why not have you tried it?

I am really thinking about trying it. I just seems like it has so many restrictions on what you can and cannot use with it. Also, money is tight but I am desperate. So I just wanted to get an overview of what every one thought.

Thanks,
    Kristi
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

Pain is not an issue for me and I wouldn't need this but this what Dr. Cheney has to say about it:

Guaifenesin is famous for causing toxic reactions. [Guaifenesin is a drug often added to cough syrups to loosen mucus. It is available by prescription in higher concentrations. Some CFIDS and fibromyalgia patients have found it effective in reducing pain. However, the effects of guaifenesin are counteracted by salicylates, a large class of compounds including aspirin. Its effects are also counteracted by many herbs. Therefore, patients taking guaifenesin must be extremely careful to avoid using any of these compounds, and they must take guaifenesin for several weeks before they begin to feel a improvement.]Guaifenesin (short acting, start at 300 mg. every 12 hours)
    Beware of toxic mobilization.

hope this helps

karen
  3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

A couple of years ago I tried the guafenisin program. I gave it a year and a half and it did nothing for my FMS. I was really strict with it-even wore gloves while doing gardening. But others here have been helped by it, you it may be something you want to try. I understand the feeling of desperation you have. I am doing better now as I have finally found a doctor who is willing to prescribe a narcotic to help control my pain.

You might ask Mikie on this board. She is very knowledgeable about this program and can give you some help with it.

Ellen
  4. kbak

kbak Member

Hi,
    There are lots of articles on Guai in the library here. You can also put guaifenesin in the search on the top of the page and see all the different posts on it.

Good luck,

kbak
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here by title. You will find all our old posts.

I consider my FMS symptoms reversed by this treatment. The Guai is not expensive, it is a tried-and-true old med, and it has few side effects. One does have to be commited and patient; it's a long-term treatment. It looks harder than it is to eliminate sals from one's supplements and personal-care items. It is OK to eat herbs, just not to take supplements with herbal extracts.

The only way to know whether this will reverse one's FMS symptoms is to try it. The success rate is highest when one has professional assistance and support but it can be done on one's own, with one's doc's approval. It is necessary to buy the book and become sal free before starting. You can go to fibromyalgiatreatment.com for more info. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Yes, I'm doing the protocol because it's working for me & it's cheap compared to many treatments. Dr St Amand's book has to be followed exactly. Avoiding salicylates isn't a problem after initially sorting out your toiletries as it soon becomes second nature.

Guaifenesin isn't renowned for it's toxic effects at all; it actually has very few side effects. However,doing the protocol properly will cause a temporary increase in symptoms as the phosphates leave your body cells. This takes about three months for every year you've been ill. The protocol takes determination.
  7. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I posted at the same time as Mikie; the only herb you can't eat is mint, & of course you can't take herbal remedies (which you don't need as the Guai should revers your symptoms).
  8. krchamp

krchamp New Member

I have read a lot of articles about Guai but I just can't decide to try it or not. Honestly, I am afraid to start something and get my hopes up and have it not work.

I do have a wonderful doctor now and she helps me with pain management. I have talked to her about it and she said that she would support me either way. I just don't know whether I should try it or not. She has also read up on it and would help me anyway she could. I am very lucky to have such a great doctor.

I don't think I have read but does anyone know if I have to stop taking my other meds when and if I start Guai?

Thanks!
    Kristi
  9. Jude

Jude New Member

If you decide to do the guaifenesin protocol it is not recommended that you give up your prescription meds. Few prescription meds have salicylates in them. The meds can be checked to determine if they do contain salicylates. At some point in the future you may want to cut down on the meds but do so under the care of a doctor.

Jude