How many of you were workaholics and overachievers??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jun 17, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I've noticed that a lot of posts on here include people in occupations and/or situations where you've worked yourselves pretty much to the point of complete exhaustion. I used to do the same thing. I would go in early, skip lunch and breaks, work overtime and even bring work home of week nights and weekends. My hubby says I would have been there even if the building had burned down. I suppose he was right.

I just kept on pushing myself for as long as I could and then I just started spiraling downhill. At the end it seemed like sickness and sickness just kept hitting me until I was fired for missing too much work. That really was a blessing in disguise.

I'm just wondering if there is any connection with our working ourselves to death and the level of pain and symptoms that we now suffer. I know that some people seem to do so much better with fm, and then there are those of us that it just seems to hammer over and over again. I can't seem to get out of a flare for more than a couple of days to 1 week and then I'm right back to where I started. I am trying to learn to pace myself, but it is so difficult.

Any have any opinions on this? I'm curious...
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

The original Manager of the Universe here.

Well, to give myself a break, I had to be. I was a single mom for a long time and my job was one with a lot of responsibilty. I did it well and ate up the praise. The old carrot and the stick scenario.

However. I crashed with CFS eventually and I know it was a long time coming because I didn't manage stress well; I had no balance in my life. Even now I would rather work at something than play because I feel more at home working and that's where my atta girls came from.

Weird.

Marta
  3. place

place New Member

building a database for my job!
  4. kriket

kriket New Member

I have always tried to please everyone else and I am also a perfectionist. I used to work myself to death. Now, I work 1-2 days a week, but still try to do way too much at one time. I can see where workaholics and overachievers could constantly be in a flare from not letting your body and mind rest.

Kriket
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I started working hard already in my teens, I worked 2 jobs, I had advanced hobbies on the side. I kep it up as a young adult when FM hit really hard after my first pregnancy. I started my own business, i travelled to the US from Sweden 3 times a year, etc.

Then I moved here, and kept working my buns off the very first week upon arrival, becoming a "mom" and "sis" to almost 200 homeless in a small town in SD. I kept it up thru my symptoms that just increasingly got worse, had an average of 3 abcence days per year. Single parent thru those years, with very abcent fathers (yey! Yeah, right!).

After having my 3rd child 2 years ago, my body gave in, and I could not do it anymore. The pregnancy was also my 3rd severe eclampsia, and I think that was the drop that made my bod' throw in the towel.

I've spent the past 2 years trying to get a diagnosis after running into the "it's all in your head" diagnoses. I wonder why I turned into a hypochondriac suddenly after pushing thru life like I did for the first 30 some years?

Anyways, that's my story, and my mum is similar.
  6. stagename

stagename New Member

don't forget many of us were showing symptoms as children and pre-teens, and many were sick and/or diagnosed as teenagers. I was 14, but maybe sooner.

my parents were workaholics, and i was maybe post-traumatic, but i was a child when i started being sick.

don't blame ourselves or personalities for the illness. we have enough guilt and stigma already.
  7. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I was. I went to the top of my field, was maxed out for my education, then had the foot injury, so I changed careers. I quickly zoomed up there too. Now I can't do much of anything.
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Yes, I most definitely was both -- at home and at work.
  9. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

I really didn't mean to imply that I thought this was what had caused our illness, and I've read a lot of posts from different people that have had it since childhood. I'm not entirely certain that I didn't, myself. When I look at my past medical history and some of the illnesses that I had as a child, I very well may have had a certain degree of it then.

I was just pondering (I do that a lot more now), and started wondering if maybe I had actually made my symptoms worse now than what they might have otherwise been by pushing myself so hard for all of those years.

I really didn't mean it to sound like I was blaming anything and I really am very sorry if it came across that way. I was honestly just wondering. I didn't know what it was that I had when I just kept getting sick all the time and I just kept trying so hard to push through it.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I am truly sorry. I am just trying to learn more about this and I appreciate you pointing that out to me.
  10. fibrohugslife

fibrohugslife New Member

I am a major workaholic and even when I had to stop working, I had a business that I did online, and I worked at that heavily until I could not do that anymore.

Now I am in school online and I have no choice but to work hard at it as my classes are short (5 weeks) and have a lot of schoolwork projects involved in them. I also need to keep a 3.0 in order for me to get the grants and scholarships I apply for to pay for my schooling. However I have learned to pace myself in my schoolwork.

I have learned that the stress of my jobs and the drama that I had going on in my life took me over the edge and caused the Fibro, CFS, IBS and Depression to rage.

Now I have learned to just pace myself. I am really wanting to restart my online businesses and I have an opportunity with one that will make it easier for me in about two months to help me keep track of my business stuff.

For my other business I just need to build my website up for that one and I have yet to do that but will do it soon.

I truly believe that I overdid things for myself majorly during those rough years. I know that when I finish school, I would like to travel to England or Canada to visit family there.

11. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

Of course

I thought I was indispensible: the world could not survive without me, and I was not any good unless I worked and worked - until I totally collapsed - at work, of course. I was replaced within 48 hours.
  12. tcpolchies

tcpolchies New Member

After workin in the dental field for soem time I got bored and wanted to keep busy so I picked up thre jobin CA. LOL! What was I thinking! Oh yea keeping ym mind busy. I recall I just couldn't sit a home at the end of a regular shift. I would go into AT & T 11p - 7a then over to L.A.S.D. work for an Elementary school from 8a-3:30p then over to a PT job at answering service from 4p to 8p then get a lil sleep in. Strange I didnt feel tired or sleepy. In fact I had a lot of energy. I did that for four years the return to the dental field. Continued to work for AT & for another year. Oh did i mentioned i was a Naval Reservist to, LOL!

T~
  13. stagename

stagename New Member

i didn't mean for that to sound so abrupt.
    my doctor told me for 15 years, if i would just de-stress my life i would be better. i'd tell her i was having pain and weakness and she'd say 'what's going on at home?'. i'd tell her i was getting migraines and she'd say, 'how's work?' i'd tell her i was tired all the time, and she'd say, 'don't overdo it'.

someone made the point that our personalities prove we aren't faking, because of all people, if i could be up and around and working my butt off all day i certainly would be. it's torturous to lie on the couch and not even have the energy to chew or breath when my mind is racing.
  14. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I never stopped.I worked 50 to 60 hours a week.And I miss it.

As soon as I get well I will go back to it but I don't think Ill work as many hours or such a stressful job.

Take care
    Sue
  15. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i was a workaholic. i had two stressful parttime jobs, a full time job, was trying to finish college, and be in a band all at the same time, plus play mom to two teenagers and run the house. yeah i think i qualify at that. but my symptoms started way before all of that. I just pushed my self to hard and they eventually overcame me. Angellwolffe.
  16. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I think most of us have that mind set to just work until we drop!!! That's is also what I did- But it seems that society puts that in your mind- I miss working but I am going back to school in the fall to get into a different field since I can't multi task and work fast pace anymore-
    I have a goal and that is to maybe work from home and put in what hours my mind, soul and body allow me to.

I used to say at work, I'm going to die in this place- and I agree with MrsJethro- I think they did me a favor by derminating me....Otherwise I may have dropped...

It is hard to pace yourself- especially when you used to go 100 miles an hour and than some- I am trying myself and than the guilt starts in- BUT can't give up....

god Bless everyone

Janet
  17. uktim1

uktim1 New Member

im a selfemployed plasterer so each day is a trial by fire really not the easyest job in the world even for people who are healthy i just work till im almost droping i go home get washed and then sleep for as long as possible your right about paceing your self the trick is knowing your limit and stopping just before it not allways easy to do in my job tc tim
  18. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I must confess to being a work alcoholic, and I miss working. I cleaned teeth during the day and at night I was an entertainer, I was trying to break in to the field of country music. Just before I got sick and pregnant. I was performing at a local club. This man came up to me named Jimmy Bowen from MCA records this was in 1992. He told me that I was an up and current country music singer. That I was gonna be the next Reba. I laughed at him. I told him, if he was who he was claiming to be I was Dolly Parton. Lol
    Long story short I got singed with MCA/Nashville, I started my single and got sick. I could not handle the pressure of being ill and the pressure of the music industry. I may not have a album be I have 2 beautiful children that I would not change it for anything. Oh Hubby and my horses to.
    Hugs
    Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2006]
  19. IlivetocantoronXena

IlivetocantoronXena New Member

I must confess to being a work alcoholic, and I miss working. I cleaned teeth during the day and at night I was an entertainer, I was trying to break in to the field of country music. Just before I got sick and pregnant. I was performing at a local club. This man came up to me named Jimmy Bowen from MCA records this was in 1992. He told me that I was an up and current country music singer. That I was to be the next Reba. I laughed at him. I told him he was who he was claiming to be I was Dolly Parton. Lol
    Long story short I got singed with MCA/Nashville, I started my single and got sick. I could not handle the pressure of being ill and the pressure of the music industry. I may not have a album be I have 2 beautiful children that I would not change it for anything. Oh Hubby and my horses to.
    Hugs
    Michelle
  20. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

Now when I fall short on energy from CFS I get them to pump up my drugs so I can push more. I will never stop. I'm not sure why, but even at home I cannot just sit and watch TV or something.

I just worked 11 days in a row, 10+ hrs a day. I guess I'm a crazy person, too! LOL!!

I'm sure I had something to "prove" somewhere back there in my life, now its just an ugly obsession. I sort of feel like a shark- if I just don't stop moving maybe I won't die.