How many of you with OsteoArthritis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 30feeling80, Mar 3, 2004.

1. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

I know there is a common thread with Rheumatoid Arthritis and FM (mycoplasmas)...But is there a link with Osteoarthritis and FMS?

Tell me what you know.
    Darlene
  2. Erinys

Erinys New Member

early onset osteo on hands & back - by teen years, FM by 28. But I think everyone gets osteo at some point.
  3. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Hi Darlene!

Like Ed, my rheumatologist lists FMS and osteoarthritis as two different problems. However, the arthritis (especially in my knees) seems to act as a focal point for my fibromyalgia pain.

Here is another question: is the condition known as "Osteoarthritis" the same thing as "Degenerative Joint Disease"? I've seen both on my chart but had always figured that the two terms were interchangeable.

Best wishes!

Janice
  4. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hi There-
    I was diagnosed with FM last week AND at the same time found out (as a result of hand x-rays) that I also have the beginnings of osteo in my fingers/hands. The doctor was kind of surprised because I'm relatively young for osteo (45), but it can happen - especially if you've used your hands a lot over the years. I've been using computers a lot throughout the years.

Take Care
    KittyCat

5. LottieWilkins

LottieWilkins New Member

Yes - osteo in both knees (old sports injury)
    No - not FMS-related (osteo was about 20 years before FMS diagnosis, maybe 14 years before FMS symptoms)
  6. mrsfie

mrsfie New Member

Dx with fibromyalgia 3 years ago. Just did x-rays on knees in Jan and the result was osteo.

Sharon in St. Louis
  7. catgal

catgal New Member

I am 54 and have had FM/CFS since my early teens; developed osteoarthritis when I was 30; psoriatic arthritis at the age of 42; rheumatoid arthritis at 48, and degenerative disc disease was discovered at age 50.

I tried naproxen then vioxx, but got internal bleeding. Then was put on celebrex, but it didn't help at all. Have been on bextra for 2 years now, and it helps--20mgs in the morning and 20mgs at night. It seems to work well on its own, but works much better for me at night when I take it with soma and klonopin. Blessings to you, Carol...
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

According to Dr. St. Amand, the father of the Guai treatment. He believes our bodies cannot eliminate phosphate debris from the body and stores it in the soft tissue. When the body runs out of soft tissue in which to store the debris, it stores it in the joints which causes osteoporosis.

I've been sick at least 13 years and have OA in my hands, writsts, and knees. Dr. St. Amand says the symptoms of FMS can be reversed but that the OA is permanent. I have noticed improvement in the pain and stiffness in my hands since being on the Guai treatment. Claudia, Dr. St. Amand's co-author and nurse says she has had the same beneficial results from the Guai.

Love, Mikie
  9. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hello Darlene,
    I also have osteo, started in my twenties in the hands. I now have it in the spinal area lumbar and cervical damage. It is causing numbness in the legs and sciatic nerve damage in both legs. Also have nerve problems with both arms and hands. Neuro says surgery is the next step but I don't want it until absolutely necessary. He said to come back when I can't stand the pain anymore. I only take over the counter stuff for the osteo. I was diagnosed with the fibro about 8 years ago. It just makes the pain more vivid. Hope this helps, I think that there probably is a link.
    Soft Hugs,
    LassieCass
  10. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

I was told in 1997 that I have osteo in my chest.

Diagnosed in 2002 with FMS.

After reading posts here about pain in the chest I'm not sure about osteo.

Next Dr. appt. Mar 11. I'm going to get him to xray some "stuff".

Dee
  11. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

both knees,shoulders,back and I am thinking my hips are next.No DX yet.(pathetic since I am only 44)
  12. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have osteo in my hands, knees and neck. I just had my 3rd knee surgery because of the arthritis causing problems. My neck and hands kill me. The doctors say I shouldn`t have this bad of arthritis at my age..46 years old. I feel like I`m 80.

Best wishes,
    Sandy
  13. Tanita78

Tanita78 New Member

I was dx with osteo and fibro around the same time 3yrs ago along with dercums this year.I have had problems with my knees for 12yrs since a very young age so the osteo may have came before the fibro but just was not diag at that time.
  14. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

I know that bones damaged from OA cannot be helped much. But can Guai treatment stop the progression of OA?

I am asking for the sake of my mom. She is young (51), and has it in her knee. She will eventually need a knee replacement. But OA is beginning in her elbows as well. She is active and very physical. Her doc told her it was degenerative. How depressing for anyone, especially one so full of life. Do you think there is hope in Guai?

Thanks for your opinion
    Darlene
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Guai will stop the body's depositing the debris in the joints. The Guai allows the debis, the by-product of energy production in our cells, to be excreted through our kidneys instead of being rerouted in the bloodstream and deposited in the joints and soft tissue.

Claudia and I discussed this through e-mail and neither of us expected this bonus from the Guai. Logically, we know that the O/A cannot be reversed, but something in the Guai helps with the pain and stiffness. The Guai will stop the debris from being deposited. It will also start pulling it out of the soft tissue where it has been deposited in the past.

Love, Mikie
  16. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

Very briefly, I've had osteoarthritis for many years, and I'm sure for me the pain from the osteo is a trigger for FMS; although of course there are other triggers too.

Osteo is gradually getting worse; more joints involved, pain of greater intensity and longer duration=more fibro flares.

Guai virtually impossible to obtain in UK, so can't go down that route.

All the best
    Ruth

17. PLP

PLP New Member

I've had it forever. I had trouble with my knees when I was a teenager. But because nothing showed up on xray, they said it was fibro. Actually got fibro fall of 2002. I still kept saying I didn't think the problem with my knees was fibro cause it just "felt" different. Well, it's finally showing up on the xrays sooooo.......

Peggy in FL
  18. LotusPearl

LotusPearl New Member

My OA symptoms begun when I was 33 y.o. and I had also FMS symptoms, so that my rheumy gave more importance to FMS and explained to me all the psycho crab related to it.

Following his advice I focused on FMS, alternative treatments and stuff. I have ups & downs but believed it wasn't going to get worse.

What I found out now that I'm 40 is that OA kept evolving and have received no treatment for that since docs say "there is nothing to do about it".

I have read that Dr. St. Amand states that FMS evolves to OA. I'm considering if reversing FMS could at least stop OA to keep evolving and prevent it to get worse.

Blesings,
    LotusPearl
  19. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

My mother, my son and I all have OA. My mother and I have FMS, and I have reason to believe my son is following behind me. He hs complained of OA since the age of 10 and is now almost 23. I was 23 when I had my first back surgery and am now 47.

Lane
  20. Knotty

Knotty New Member

I don't know about any links. But I'm 65 - have had osteo arthritis in hands and other joints since in my 30's. My hips are quite bad with osteo. One Dr. said I also have RA in my hands as well. And I have degenerative disc disease. Plus Fm - which I suspect goes back to perhaps childhood. I also have Sjogren's Syndrome. So sometimes it's hard to know which pain is which. I can't take a lot of N'saids but do take Celebrex off and on (as the stomach allows).Eat tylenol like it's going out of style.

We can't get the guai here in Canada either - I've already asked the pharmacist. Only in the bottle as a cough relief. He's never heard of the guai pills.

I also have severe IBS and a number of food intolerances. I don't find any difference in pain on the diet - but it helps the spastic colon "some".

I also have Clinical Depression which at the moment is fairly bad in spite of meds - Spring Doldrums. Waiting for actual Spring and getting rid of this darned "white stuff".

Happy St. Patrick's Day to All!