How many on stimulants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ariel27, Jul 24, 2003.

1. ariel27

ariel27 New Member

Hi everyone, I am just curious how many of you are on stimulants, and how are they working??

Carla
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I never wanted to take them because I felt they were counterproductive to trying to calm the seizure activity in our brains. I did decide to try the Provigil as it works in a much smaller area of the brain. Unfortunately for me, the Provigil had a paradoxical effect and made me more tired and sleepy.

It is contraindicated if one is on Klonopin, so that may be the reason. Also, I was probably an ADHD kid and stimulants often have paradoxical reactions for us.

Love, Mikie
  3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I take caffeine pills (Vivarin) or Ritalin as needed, once or twice a month. (I also drink coffee, but am slowly weaning myself to decaf.)

I'm going to talk to my doctor about the Klonopin at my next appt, so we'll see what I do then!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most people on Provigil in a study said that they get similar results using caffeine and it's much cheaper.

I try not to have to use stimulating substances, but in a pinch, I will drink a little caffeine.

Love, Mikie
  5. CyberBear03

CyberBear03 New Member

I tried a few of them--all they did was make me shake
  6. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

Carla, I'm finding that my brain fog is a bit better on Adderall. At first it didn't work because I was on a lower dose. At least now I can actually stay awake all day. Am on the duragesic patch too. At this point, I think I'll try anything the doctor suggests. By the way, Ritalin gave me headaches, but insurance being what it is, I had to try it first.
    H
  7. donna13210

donna13210 Member

A stimulant saved my life!

I had developed such a problem with short term memory and concentration, I HAD to do something.

My memory had become so bad I lost my job! I would page people, then couldn't remember why. Sometimes I couldn't even understand my own notes. I would lose my train of thought in the middle of a phone conversation. And god forbid if my boss told me "....and don't forget to tell so-and-so the next time you see him...."! Yeah, right!

The breaking point was when a pair of pants appeared on a banister by my bedroom, tags still attached, and I couldn't remember buying them!! That was scary!!

Even though I didn't have ADHD as a child, I asked my doctor since I now had the SYMPTOMS (if not the disorder) why couldn't we try a medication for same? He agreed and it was like a miracle!

I got a new job and got through the technical training process okay, though I have to refer to my notes and reference material much more than my co-workers.

My memory and concentration are not perfect by any means. After all, I still suffer from FMS! But at least I can function "fairly" well.

I'm not advocating it for everyone. All I know is it saved me!

Hope this info can help you or someone else......
    Take care
  8. donna13210

donna13210 Member

Forgot two things:

The name of the drug was Concerta. I discontinued it months later to see how I would do without it. And I did okay.

Also, the stimulant had absolutely NO affect on my energy level, which I thought was strange. Too bad!

See ya
  9. nathan

nathan New Member

I have been ADD for as long as I can remember. I think the onset was 15. I am now 32. I was finally diagnosed 5 yrs. after college in 1998, I stated taking Dexedrine. I was already beginning to feel the weight of the Fibro kicking in. But it was waxing and waning. I think the stimulants gave me few more years of full- quality life before a tick bite in 2001 kicked the Fibro into full throttle. My Doc and I went through all of the meds I was on and took me off stimulants to see if they were the culprit, but they were not. I just quit them again last month. I see a clear difference in the quality of life I lead. Granted- I am ADD, I need them for reasons other than, Fibro, but I fing life without stimulants now, with Fibro stinks. I get severly depressed, I eat a lot more ( of foods that I should be avoiding) and don't sleep well. I become a cranky introverted mess without them. I read Dr. Cheney's article on Stimulants and Fibro, and I think there is a some merit to his opinion, however, I truly believe in the quality of life vs quantitiy or longevity. I grew up without meds for ADD, it was horrible. Now, that I have the choice I choose to take them. I have brain problems, my MRI showed white matter, incrreased T2 signal and mild atrophy for age, so as to fit ithe bill for a demylinating disease such as MS, Lyme Disease, you name it. So, the choice is yours. I'm a fan of stimulant meds. Without them I would be devastated. I konw theyare not for everyone. I would not recommend them to anyone who experiences anxiety on a regular basis, or takes CNS depressant meds. That would be like taking uppers and downers. Adderall by day and Ativan by night warped me real good. I had some nasty anxiety for about 2 or 3 weeks. I wish you luck. Sincerely- N