How many out there have progressive spinal stenosis w/nerve entra

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cactuslil, Jul 6, 2003.

1. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Away back when I pinpoint this FMS beginning stage, say 7 years, I had no spinal stenosis....then a year or so after MRI said I had generalized stenosis; then WHAMMO I got a case of spinal stenosis from cervical to LS.

I was told by my diabetes man that I must absolutely cease sweeping,mopping, standing to do dishes et al. No lifting. He said that caused the nerve entrapment to excellerate.

Any out there know anything about this? Lil'
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

My husband was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in his cervical spine (C6-7), but primary problem became RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy). He'd had problems with his neck since a teenager from wrestling and then boxing.

Have you been evaluated for RSD as well? Can cause lots of generalized problems - fatigue, depression, etc. -- in addition I guess to the problems caused by the stenosis. Oddly enough, he found weightlifting thru the pain to be of help because of the RSD (in fact, that's what they told him to do -- work thru the pain), but in your case, I don't know.

He definitely cannot do certain things, like looking up, lifting his neck/head up when lying down, and doing any kind of work while lying on back looking up. If he does, he is in excruciating pain.

However, they told him that until he either urinates without control or legs got to weak to hold himself up or walk, or pain got too bad, to hold off on surgery! So far, (8 years), so good..

Hope you find some answers,
    Victoria
  3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

xrays show DDD, marginal bone spurs, and - perhaps most importantly- stenosis, esp C5-7 on the left.

I have pain, numbness and tingling down my left arm and pain in my neck. My lifting is severly limited, I can't look up or down, and I can't lie flat.

I haven't yet had an MRI and have been struggling with finding solutions to my severe pain.

I want answers and haven't been getting enough from chiro, GP, or physio. I have an appt with an Ostoepath on Thursday and have requested a referral to a physiatrist, but it's been a week now and i haven't heard back regarding an appointment.

I find doing detailed work with my fingers of my left hand, such as untying knots or dishes makes my pain worse. Typing only aggravates slightly, maybe because my arm is resting and somewhat supported.

I had to stop physio cause pain getting worse and worse.

I tried an inversion table, but my pain skyrockets not only when lying flat, but apparently when upside down too.

I don't know how I will manage to get an mri if I have to lie flat for more than 2 minutes.

The chiro looked at my xrays and asked what kind of accident I had been in, but I haven't been in any lately that I remember. This problem occurred a day after I did some heavier lifting than usual.

I am interested in any recommendations people have for me and Cactus Lil, who is worse off.
  4. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Well since the last time I talked to you, about the SS, and the DDD, it seems that we both have gone a little further down the Hill, so to speak, I'm needing surgery, at the C4/5/6, and maybe at the 3. I need to get some X-ray's, I forgot to have them done, but the MRI showed the problem.

So other than doing what I am now, taking the Max dosage of Vicodin, with the SOma and Vistril, along with Hot Shower's & Hot Pack's. I can only try some more PT and Massage Theraphy.

Sorry your going through this crap too. How's the AS coming along? Did they see any Fussing going on?
    That's what they want to do to me, but I'm taking one Last ROad Trip First. Then we'll see, if the other treatment's don't help, I won't have much choice.

Even then, The Surgeon said there was a 5% chance it won't help and might make me worse.
    GAD'S where have I heard that before. SIck to Death of it, dosen't seem to end, it just takes Breaks, then hit's you all over again/ hate it.

How's the Daughter doing? ANd of Course Will, hope he's going to have a good summer. You do let him have Summer breaks don;t you? lol

God Bless you Lil, I'll add you to my Prayer's.
    SharonK/kredca4
  5. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

I was told gently a year ago to cease bending to pick up things, sweeping/mopping et al. I asked my dear daughter to move in to help with a few simple chores...she turned into the bitch from hell; never has done anything but cause contention! The doc asked me to have her ousted and either get someone to live here and help out in those chores or rent the apt. again and use that money to have someone in but under NO circumstances could I continue as I had been.

When those EMT's arrived (in Austin they would have been paramedics and fired) I was thrown all over the room; they even threatened me with calling the police and taking me to jail! Girlfriend!

Well, my doc has fought for medicaid (for SSI receiptients) to get a full hospital bed with spinal mattress (weighs a ton)...purchase not rental; he got a full power Bruno chair which will convert should my condition progress and he wrote to them that if I were to use a powerchair other than one especially for spinal patients they would be replacing it within three years; my oxygen C-pak et al and the diabetes are both home care covered. Now this one in a million doc went out on the limb for an SSI patient (scum); he told me to gear up and obtain what I need or may need as medicaid is fixing to go kaboom in Texas and each county here has different rules (Hard to believe but true).

I notice today I am not in as much pain and feel some body healing; mentally I am super depressed! I have alot to learn about life using a chair, especially with the lift I have (thank you Jesus); it can get goofy and that is instant panic if your're blocking traffic and there is this big old chevy van and a lift in the road! Lordy!

Yes ladies, what you are saying is what I am hearing. I know these last two weeks of forcing myself to "rest" my legs are going, going and very nearly gone. And to the respondant about surgery......Last, very last resort! Don't any of us forget the mitrial (sp?} valve prolapse et al.

My son is a great little trojan. I let him have a slumber party last night as he is filming a movie he wrote...next I heard illegal fire works in my back yard and there he was directing these two boys in a rescue mission! Yeah...rescue from the cops! I smiled to myself and thought what a lucky boy he is to have a mom that allowed he and the other two to have the liberty to do whatever they wanted and it worked out just find. I had many smiles for a change. Thanks for asking about him. He does indeed need broad shoulders. CactusLil'
  6. loopylu

loopylu New Member

I HAVE LUPUS. MY UPPER BACK, I CALL IT MY BROKEN WING HURTS ALL OF THE TIME. MY DOC GIVES ME TONS OF CODINE BUT WITH LITTLE RESULTS. I STARTED WORKING WITH WEIGHTS. IT HAS HELPED SOME, BUT NOT ENOUGH. I HAVE JOINED A BIBLE CLASS AND THESE WONDERFUL LADIES PRAY OVER ME AND I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH, IT WORKS BETTER THAN THE PILLS. TRY JESUS. WHAT HAVE YOU TO LOSE? LOOPYLU
  7. loopylu

loopylu New Member

I HAVE LUPUS. MY UPPER BACK, I CALL IT MY BROKEN WING HURTS ALL OF THE TIME. MY DOC GIVES ME TONS OF CODINE BUT WITH LITTLE RESULTS. I STARTED WORKING WITH WEIGHTS. IT HAS HELPED SOME, BUT NOT ENOUGH. I HAVE JOINED A BIBLE CLASS AND THESE WONDERFUL LADIES PRAY OVER ME AND I AM TELLING YOU THE TRUTH, IT WORKS BETTER THAN THE PILLS. TRY JESUS. WHAT HAVE YOU TO LOSE? LOOPYLU
  8. loopylu

loopylu New Member

9. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

There is no greater healer than our Savior...that was somewhat what I was refering to when I mentioned my son.

Thank you for giving credit where is was due. Love Lil'
  10. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Lots of bad stuff in my neck area a c2-3 herniation a c-6 syrinx and bone spurs. I cannot do much at all any more I am on 30 MGs of Oxcontin and roxicet for breaktru pain. The on thing that has helped is my tempur pedic bed. THey cannot operate as it is too dangerous and it may not help at all and would mean a halo for three months so I watch every step I make. I got some berkinstocks to wear and they seem to help a little bit. Watermelon is a natural anti-inflamatory so I would look for foods that help, plus I drink soy milk because of the calcium. I am sorry about the wheel chair, use it when you need to but don't give up those legs keep them moving even if it's laying in bed. Love ya lots. I have baby greys again, can't wait till I start to handfeed them they stay with the parents till 3 weeks old.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2003]
  11. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Boy if what you say isn't enough to scare one! The doc has me in a full hospital bed w/spinal mattress which weighs a ton....I can't safely even move it up to the head...it slips and I am only 4'11" so I put a block to keep the mattress where it is supposed to be. I hated it at first but have gotten used to it;

I just had a crying fit and gave in and swept half the house (its been raining and with a boy who had two friends for an overnight party) plus the dogs it was toooo much! But now I feel it in my neck!

The chair! The doc ordered me in one a year ago when he first took me on; I'm past the point of using my legs but for very short distances....I cannot even make it half way down my back yard. My biggest fault all along has been failure to mitigate my losses by pushing on as if I was going to get better. Sometimes you just have to lay some things very dear down; and I am not doing so with grace!

Will pray for you that you don't have to have anything further done. I have some cervical involvment and it scares me too death! Love Lil'
  12. Ellie

Ellie New Member

AS for sweeping I got the shark ultra cordless sweeper and it works great super light can clean all of the house with it.
    You can get them at Sears the cheapest!!!!! As I just told Sandy we are all here for each other in that case we are very lucky people. Take care and I will pray lots for you. Aloha my friend Ellie
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2003]
  13. Jen F

Jen F New Member

You're a strong soul, I imagined you as a tall lady, but guess you gotta lot of spunk inside that short painful body of yours.

I think us shorter women have more neck problems than women of average height because we stress the neck throughout our lives when lifting and especially when trying to reach up to high cupboards.

As for Ellies comment on the shark, that vacuum caught my eye when my trusty Bissel lightweight broke. I ended up with a slightly heavier vacuum, but it's still considered a lightweight. I now have a pamphlet that gives all sorts of details on the different vacuums out there, including weight. I find the lightweight makes things much easier and I always feel a little better when there is less dust in here.

If you ever want me to look up vacuum info, just ask. If I am on the board, I will get out that pamphlet with the specs.
    jen
  14. Cactuslil

Cactuslil New Member

Isn't this "thing" we have something! When someone asks me "What do DO you have?" I kinda chuckle and ask where they would like me to start. Then they chuckle and end of conversation!

I have been wrestling this spinal uprising, the getting completely off steroids and treating the acute sleep apnea I almost forgot I had FMS.....how's that for a joke.

You know three years when I was ready to go over the cliff, in dire straits, just really diagnosed then all medical care ripped from me (Texas and in an indigent unfriendly county) I stumbled upon this board. It, you, the experienced in this ailment and those like myself just struggling after being blessed with good health probably saved me from a committment. And I still kick the pricks, to be biblical. However, after the last ordeal I know I cannot continue to ttry harder than the doc will allow.

That is the beauty, if there is one, of this particular forum....we that have tried many things, many meds or isms can relate to the new diagnosee and get them over the hump.

Then as we reach new revelations about this ailment, we can come and ask what next? I believe all docs are now wresting the dilemna. I re-read Stargyl (sp) Survival Manual and the statistics of HIV and AIDS survivors who had FMS was shocking. I believe with active AIDS the rate was 99%. There is a definate immune connection and for mankind I pray researchers stumble upon a treatment.

Till later. Lil'
  15. kimkane

kimkane New Member

HI CACTUS, I READ YOUR MESSAGE BECAUSE I WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT PSS, AND IT SCARED ME. I HAVE FMS, CFS,RA, MS, AND ALL THE STUFF THAT GOES WITH THEM. BUT I HAVE BEEN HAVING DIFFERENT THINGS HAPPEN WITHIN THE LAST MONTH OR SO.
    I WONDER IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK. MY RIGHT ARM FROM ELBOW TO FINGER TIPS IS ALWAYS TINGLING, NO MATTER WHAT I DO, THE LEFT HAND I HAVE A TREMOR I HAVE HADTHAT FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS. I NEED TWO HANDS TO TAKE A DRINK, OTHERWISE IT IS ALL OVER THE PLACE. I FILED FOR SS LAST MONTH. I WILL NOT KNOW TILL OCT AT THE LATEST. ANY WODS OF WISDOM?? ABOUT 7 YRS AGO I FELL AND BROKE MY BACK IN 2 PLACES, AND I GET MANY STIFF NECKS, I AM A GOOD ONE TO THROW OUT MY C2. IT IS HARD FOR ME TO RELAX MY NECK AT NIGHT.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, GOD BLESS
    KIMKANE9@AOL.COM
    [This Message was Edited on 07/09/2003]