How many people tested for HHV-6?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by genevieve, Sep 27, 2002.

1. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi,

I am interested to know how many people have been tested for HHV-6 virus and how many of those came up positive and how many negative.

Anyone any ideas how important this is in the scheme of things?

It seems to be recommended you get tested for it along with mycoplasmas.

Any info much appreciated,

With love,

Genevieve
  2. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi,

I am interested to know how many people have been tested for HHV-6 virus and how many of those came up positive and how many negative.

Anyone any ideas how important this is in the scheme of things?

It seems to be recommended you get tested for it along with mycoplasmas.

Any info much appreciated,

With love,

Genevieve
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

HHV6 variant A is believed by some to cause chronic fatigue syndrome. There is some interesting research done with this virus, but like everything else nothing that proves conclusively that it is the cause. It is not easy to get accurate testing. The most accurate test is PCR which is not cheap. Even so the researchers will tell you that the test for HHV6 does not differentiate between the different types. HHV6 variant A is considered to be a nasty little virus that does serious damage and may be responsible for CFS. HHV6 variant B is considered to cause a relatively innocuous childhood disease. The test can't tell you which of these illnesses you've had.
    Your doctor may prescribe treatment for herpes if you have a positive test result which might help you. It's still very early in the research phase to know for sure.
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

I believe over 80 or over even 90 percent of the general population (in the US) test positive for HHV-6, usually contracted in early childhood, hence simple tests for HHV-6 are useless for CFIDS. Relevant tests, concerning CFIDS are tests for (recent) HHV-6 reactivation, which is much rarer in healthy people, and significant in CFIDS. There are HHV-6 A and B, one usually coinciding with a more severe type of CFIDS than the other.
    (I've been tested in London, via Dr Hyams, can't remember the lab, and have HHV-6 reactivation.)
    Susanne
    For Mycoplasma, I believe Nicholson is taken to be the best tester in the western world, but not sure.
  5. mlw

mlw New Member

Hi Genevieve:

It is important to be tested. In my case, I felt awful for a long time. Symptoms, low grade fever, swollen armpit glands, etc. I was tested for EBV, CMV, micoplasma, everthing and what came back was elevated titres for HHV6. Once diagnosed, you should be placed on a anti-viral medicine: Valtrex, Famvir, etc. This virus is definitely connected to CFIDs. It attacks the nerve endings and causes havoc to the immune system.

MLW

6. genevieve

genevieve New Member

Hi ohmyaching, sb439 and mlw,

Many thanks for your replies and info, much appreciated, I think we will go ahead and get tested for this.

With love and best wishes,

Genevieve