how many people waste their money on things that dont work?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by charlenef, Oct 27, 2006.

1. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i have spent hundreds of dollars on thing to try for pain and will keep on doing it looking for an answer for this dd. im just wondering who else does this? charlene
  2. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

If it hurts bad enough you'll try anything. I have a Loooong list. Every now and something works.
    Bill
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Because of the nature of these illnesses, I think we have all tried things that haven't worked. The dilemma is that sometimes things work for one but not for others. I think a certain number of educated attempts are worth it if we can afford it. It's not exactly waste but it seems like it sometimes.

Kathy
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Of course I waste some money on this kind of stuff. Do we really have a choice? Even if 1/10 of the things I try has a 5% effect on my health, that's a really big deal. I mean, isn't it?
  5. maedaze

maedaze New Member

I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the last 12 yrs. The upshot, I am still sick. Now and then something might help 'allieviate' a symptom. But on the whole, it's been a total waste of money.

Maybe I am a better person for it all??? I know much more about myself, even did past life clearing in case this was related to a past life!! - yes well desperation does take you along all sorts of paths. I have certainly learned how to 'manage' my life alot better.

But on the whole of it, I have not got any better, just better at looking after myself. Found the odd thing i can take and i do.

Am i still spending money on something i hope will help?
    Yep I am. Slow learner????
    I just can't accept this is IT for the rest of my life.
    Something out there MUST be able to help me so i still keep trying.
  6. yodasmom

yodasmom New Member

I have been doing this for 30 years and holistically for 25 so you can imagine how much#####$$$$$$$$$$$$ has gone down. I just went thru (still am) in abad time so just spent another couple 100 to ramp up. After 3 months gone if no improvement.

Do you any of you do muscle testing on yourself before you even open the bottle? that helps.
  7. Abbycat

Abbycat New Member

Between RA and FM I've spent thousands on copays alone. Not quite as much on other things, but a lot.

My favorite thing is my good old heating pad. Actually it's a new one. Walgreens has a two year warranty on theirs and mine always die before then.

So they give me a new one everytime. I think I'm on my fifth one! If the pharmacist ever retires I'll be in trouble. Ha, ha!

Abbycat
  8. DeTell1

DeTell1 New Member

I'm sure I've probably spent just as much, if not more than everyone else. I think we keep trying because none of us wants to admit that this may be as good as it's ever going to get. I know I'm not. I've spent money on co-pays for doctor visits, pharmacy perscriptions, a new bed, lots of topical pain relievers, heating pads, herbal medications, a magnetic car seat cover, a treadmill, yoga dvds, both professional & home massage products, and many other things I can't remember right now.

I think somewhere in the back of my mind I've accepted that I will never be "well" but that doesn't mean I can't keep trying to make things @ least a little better.
  9. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I live on $4000 a year (And I don't get social security).

I spend whatever doesn't go to bills on my health (and the occasional videogame!).

It's not like I have to throw money away at the bar like other kids my age, so what else am I going to do with it?

I overdid it with the D-ribose recently (which actually helps me), I bought it on sale, in a large quantity (wiped my savings) so I am flat broke. It's worth it to me, though, because it reduces my relapse fatigue from doing stuff. I have almost no muscle fatigue, so I'll gladly forgo winter clothes, movies, electric bills, and even videogames to pay for that kind of help!

Hopefully a miracle med won't come along while I'm out of funds!
  10. charlenef

charlenef New Member

i guess im not alone my husband is always saing ok what did you order now when ups pulls up. i just cant help my self when i hear something help someone. im just looking for a miracle in a bottle. when im sleeping for a couple of hours before i get up i have such great dreams then.......reality my day in a bed with the lap top. charlene
  11. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I do my best to try not to get too taken in by what people claim to be 'cures' or a surething help. I try to do a lot of research and talk to real people who have tried it before I spend the money on it.

Although of course, because of the nature of the disease, we are all desperate to feel better and we'll do anything to do it. So of course i've wasted money on products that haven't improved my health.
  12. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

When we have chronic pain, most of us would by swamp land from a guy living in Arizona, if it helped lol

How do you know it won't help if you don't try it?

8 years ago, I found out about VAX-D Therapy, for decompression of the spine. It is a computerized system, and this helped on my road to recovery. It was expensive and nobody paid a portion, but I needed to try it. Actually, my hubby found out about it.

I am still amazed at the number of people who WON'T go to a chiropractor. I heard, on another message board, about an Upper Cervial Chiro, and made it my business to find one. They are few and far between, but like a miracle, there was one about 20 miles from where I live. I started going to him about 5 yrs ago and THAT is when I started getting better. I have OA in the Facet Joints and lower back, hip and knee as well as FM. My partners in pain.

I bought green tea from Herbsway and it is loaded with antioxidants, and it tastes good as well. It does have Stevia in it.

I have bought the Glycosimine cream from Dr.Janet, and that works for me for the FM pain - most of the time. For the bad times I have my meds.

There is soooo much on the market, that a person can't try them all, but you won't know until you try. Everybody's body is different and because it works for me, it may not work for you.
  13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Wasting money on things that don't work.... Are talking FM/CFS or just anything in general? Seriously yes I have spent a lot of money trying to find something that makes me feel better.

Chiropractors help me, but I can't afford to go often enough to maintain feeling good. Physio therapy, accupunture, replacing the metal fillings in my teeth. I have tried all of these things.

Herbs, vitamins, exercise programs.... If it sounds reasonable and someone that I respect says it helps them I will give it a try.

Believe me if I had the money I try a lot more. I love to go for weekly massages, chiro treatments, change the mattress on my bed, go for aqua classes, buy a more comfortable car, maid service, take a long vacation...

I am sure all of these things would make me feel a least somewhat better. All I need is a win at the lotto so I can afford to give them a try.

hugs Redwillow
  14. charlenef

charlenef New Member

we need to win the lotto to be able to afford all the different things that are out there. id take my health over the money any day. im sure we all would thanks charlene