How many physically abused as a child?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hartogold, Apr 21, 2006.

1. hartogold

hartogold New Member

I was severely abused physically and emotionally as a child. I was also sexually molested from age 5-11.

My pain doctor and my psychiatrist both say that almost every one of their patients with Chronic Pain Syndrome, FMS and CFS have an abusive past.

I was just wondering how many of you were abused as a child?
    Thanks for sharing and letting me know I'm not alone.
    Hugs,
    Sandy
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Was sexually abused by my brother and cousin for years.....my mother knew what was going on and did nothing to stop and I was sexually abused by a friend of the family. My mother physically abused me as well as mentally....... I HAVE NOT told a soul about this (with the exception of my husband) this is why I cringe when my husband starts yelling as it brings back so much memory.
    thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
    Ann
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2006]
  3. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i was abused by a stepmom every wasy and every day from 5 yrs old until 15. were talking her masturbating me in the shower and on and on. bill
  4. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I was abused for a very long time before my mother got custody of me. In fact the female gym teacher saw bruises on my back and legs so she told authorities and then they gave my mom custody of me.

My dad physically and mentally abused me.

I had some uncles who sexually abused me and also a friend of my dad's sexually abused me.

I had been staying the night at their house b/c me and their daughter were best friends, I thought well my dad won't hit me tonight b/c I won't be home, well the sicko thought I was asleep so he started touching me in a sexual way, so I just closed me eyes and tried to go to sleep.

It didn't work, the only reason he stopped is his wife came in to check on us.

His wife was really sweet, and she was so friendly to me.

There are times I wanted to tell her what he had done but I never told anyone.

Pamela
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

My violent alcoholic mother physically & sexually abused me for many years , although she made a great fuss of my sister & made sure that she always had whatever she wanted.

I was always in trouble at school for being so dirty ( I tried to wash my own clothes from the age of ten whilst my mother hit & yelled at me)& for never having dinner money & the equipment for lessons. No-one ever thought to ask why, it was always considered to be my fault.

I think our bodies mechanism for coping with stress was just completely overloaded.
  6. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

when I was 15, and again when I was 19. I was almost murdered when I was 17. Guy tried to beat me to death because I wouldn't sleep with him. So, yes...I was abused.
  7. chopindog

chopindog New Member

I was sexually abused by two of my brothers, one for many years. My mom was also a achoholic and a drug addict while I was growing up. She was both physically and mentally abusive. The mental abuse by far being the worst.

Joy
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

It happened twice when I was around 6...this by the older son of the woman who took care of me after school. He had either just been drafted or had just come back from Vietnam. I was terrified when it happened and was completely silent about it to everyone, but when I saw that he might be doing the same thing to a younger girl in our group, I stood up to him in front of the girl and this guy's brother (also 6) and told him if he didn't leave us alone I'd *tell his mama*!

I remember feeling a huge rush of adrenaline when he left the room and didn't bother us again -- at least not that I know. As an adult, I shudder to think of other ways that scenario could have played out. But at the root of it, it was the first time I ever had the feeling of the potential of my own power. Strange, I'm sure.

[Our family lost touch with his decades ago, but I did hear that my abuser ended up getting married and had at least three daughters. I always wondered if he turned himself around or continued along the same path.]

A few years later (at age 9), a younger girl friend in my neighborhood -- about the same age as I'd been when it happened to me -- told me about two neighborhood boys that had taken her 'into the woods'. Thinking back, it is so odd that we didn't go to our parents -- but there was really just no public education about this sort of thing back then. Another friend (my age) and her sister, and the abused girl and her brother, all marched over and told these boys' father that we wanted to talk to the boys.

The father made the boys come out, and we stood there telling these older (13/14-ish) boys that if they 'put a hand' on any of the girls on our street that they'd live to regret it. It was like the pre-teen version of the angry mob scene out of Frankenstein! To this day I can't imagine how the boys explained that to their father (who stood there listening intently the whole time). I do remember we didn't see the boys outside for a very, very long time after that.

If anyone has seen the movie "Monsoon Wedding", I feel a kinship to the grown cousin who confronts her childhood abuser when he begins to isolate a young family member. Because of my own history, I am hypervigilant if I suspect someone is bullying or abusing a child and will go after the perpetrator with no holds barred!

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

ON Different kinds of abuse: Not only sexual but withholding necessities of life, for example.

In my home the abuse was emotional. My mother was a compulsive cleaner and never stopped nagging and criticizing. My father was a liar, drunk and bully. He never spoke to the kids except to issue an order: Bring me another beer.

When I was about 50, I mentioned to my brothers that I had repetitive dreams of killing my father. They both looked shocked and said they did too.

10. kriket

kriket New Member

Yes. I was emotionally tormented. I bottled anger up. I honestly believe that this led to me getting sick. Just think my body finally broke down.

Kriket
  11. moonchild1970

moonchild1970 New Member

Yes, mentally,physically,and sexually.
  12. petsrme

petsrme Member

I think abuse in some ways are more common than we think. We hate to lay blame on our parents if it seems trivial, but people aren't perfect and most parents make mistakes. I feel guilty for saying anything about abuse, but if I am honest I have to admit to some emotional and verbal abuse.

I also suffered from sexual abuse from a few cousins and a grandfather of a friend. I don't place any of that blame on my parents because they had nothing to do with it, but it did play a factor in my life.

Like I said, I think abuse is very common and almost all of us have suffered it in some way. It is so sad and I hope that I am wrong, but I have just talked to so many clients that I saw that it happens in a lot of families, rich, poor, educated, etc. I am so sorry that children have had to go through it. It is terrible and some is much worse than others. It is just so hard to admit it sometimes because of guilt and other issues. The thing that I have found is that you just need to talk about it as you have done here. Admitting it is a big load off of the chest. I wish I could give a big hug to all that have suffered and tell them that they are loved. We may grow up, but we still feel the pain.