How many pills do I have to take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nibbernaaber, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nibbernaaber

nibbernaaber New Member

Hey all my name is nibbernaaber and I'm new to this board, I wish I was to fibromyalgia, but anyhow I am sure I'm not a pro like some of you here!

My question is for all of you who have tried all of the different drugs out there for the pain and problems.... Has anyone ever gotten off of them? Is there anything all natural that can be used instead? I have been on and off of different pills for 2 years now, usually 4 or 5 a night and I'm only 33 and as of now I take nortriptylin, prioxicam, topamax, and varapamil. I guess I wonder if I will be doing the pill thing for the rest of my life, and if so how good is it for me? I have heard you can turn fibromyalgia around or reverse it, but that's about all I've heard, does anyone have any other news they can share on this subject or know know anything about this?

Thanks So Much
    Nibbernaaber.....
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

This is a complicated question. It depends on why you are on your meds and if they are helping.
    Some people have found that they can treat Fibro more naturally but it has taken many months or even years to research and test certain products. Some things work for one person but not the other.
    The first thing you should remember is never go off your drugs without being supervised by your Doctor. Usually, you have to taper the doses. Before you do it, have a plan for your next steps.
    Spend some time here reading posts and find out what others have been doing. That will be a helpful place to start.

Good Luck
    Kathy.
  3. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Welcome to the board! You will find a lot of valuable information here. There are people here who only take vitamins and supplements, ones who take meds and others who take both. It is kind of trial and error as to what will work for you.

The best information that I can give you is to read, read, read! There is no one size fits all in the treatment of these DD's. What works for one may not work for another.

As to your question about doing the pill thing for the rest of your life, I guess you just have to look and see if you are getting quality of life with your meds. I also was upset about taking so many meds, so I actually weaned them down to just a few that I felt were helping the most. I take tramadol and neurontin for pain and ZMA (ordered from this site) and flexeril for the nights that I can't sleep. I found that these meds were the ones that were helping me the most. It is different for everyone though.

Again, welcome to the board! Take care, Sally