How many see a neurologist for FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jul 26, 2009.

  1. Chelz

    Chelz New Member

    I am thinking of seeing a neurologist for my FM. I normally wouldn't think about this, however, my integrative doc has not helped me with a few problems and neither has two different rheumatologists.

    I have deep bruised like muscle pains in both of my hips/buttocks. This pain is causing a lot of burning sensations and my hips, upper thighs can sometimes feel like they are on fire. The pain is always there, but when I try to exercise, or I have been walking more, it is much worse, hence the reason so many of us, I suspect, have an intolerance to exercsise.

    To be fair, I did have surgery in my right hip/buttock area to remove a large lipoma, so this area is much worse and it could be the result of trauma from surgery, but I had burning pain there all the time, just worse now.

    I had a CT scan of the right hip, MRI of the area, nothing was revealed. I also had a Kennalog shot given by the rheumy which did not help either.

    Physical therapy was recommended, but I had a HORRIBLE physical therapist who refused to use ultrasound on me and wanted me to do exercises that I just can't do right now. Warm pool therapy is not available to me either.

    It is the burning and hot feeling in my hips that bother me most. Feels like a hot poker is in them or something. I am strongly feeling this could be some kind of neuropathy or nerve irritation. Getting desperate. Only problem is this, I know some neurologists like to prescribe Elavil, prednisone or neurontin, all these drugs would be out of the question for me, so maybe I just shouldn't go. Confused and not sure. Anyone out there with any good results from a neurologist? Hugs to all, Chelz.

  2. shari1677

    shari1677 New Member

    I was diagnosed by a neurologist - she knew immediately what it was upon me describing my symptoms. It was a "no brainer" for her. I see her once every year or so. Once I get the recommendations, I go back to my family doc, who is much cheaper, to do my maintenance care.
  3. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

    For some of us, I think a neurologist is more appropriate than a rheumatologist.

    However, how many know about CFS/FM?

    I did like the neurologist, actually specialized in sleep problems, that I had before being diagnosed. At that time it was narcolepsy.

    Shari, great news for you!!! Maybe I will call around and see if there are any neurologist in my network that are familiar with FM.


  4. loto

    loto Member

    see a neurologist. He was the one that diagnosed my FM, after ruling other things out, and after conducting the pressure point test. I continued seeing him every few months for a while, but when I'd ask him if other symptoms I would have (wondering if they were related to the FM), he would tell me to see my primary doctor. So, since I had to see my primary doctor anyway, I quit going to the neurologist. It may have just been him, he wasn't very talkative and didn't have a good "bed side manner". I'm sure there are other neurologists out there who may keep up on the FM stuff, so I would recommend finding a good one in your area! I would like to find a good neurologist to see, but in my area there aren't very many. I'd have to travel kind of far, and at this point that's not an option for me.
  5. Shananegans

    Shananegans New Member

    I saw a neurologist for my FM for 4 years. She was great to me, found my migraines and my sleep apnea. She was a CFS specialist but she really only treated my symptoms, never looked to get to the bottom of it.

    But here's the kicker, I recently discovered that FMS was not what was wrong with me in the first place. I actually have Celiac and no one ever looked for it until I found it for myself. My neurologist was NOT the person that originally diagnosed me tho, she was only following someone else's lead so I do not blame her by any means.

    But I do agree with a poster above me, I would choose a neurologist over a rheumatologist for treatment of FM any day of the week. I makes more sense to me to see a neurologist since they suspect FM to be a central nervous system issue.

    Hope you find help
  6. jmq

    jmq New Member

    I have the same pain as you described in my hip and buttock area. I went through the MRI and everything you described. I go to a Rhuemy and Nuerologist for my FM but the Rhuemy is helping more. The best thing I have found to give me relief is a portable TENS machine that he prescribed for me. My insurance paid for most of it too. I am almost addicted to it. I just stick the electrode pad right on the tender spot and I feel relief within mins. Sometimes the pain stays gone for a day. This is more relief than the pain meds do for me.

    I hope this helps you in some way.


  7. But I am wondering did the neuro prescribe any meds for you or what?

    Sadly I also have the pain in hip/butt area, esp. at night OMG! I have been told its buritis and another says fibro?
  8. jmq

    jmq New Member

    My Nuero put me on Lyrica...I was already Tramadol the pain and Wellbrutrin for the depression and to counteract the weight gain. The Lyrica is helping me so far. Hope this helps.

[ advertisement ]