How many smokers here?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrsjethro, Jul 6, 2006.

1. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

Okay, I totally know that I'm asking for it..... I should quit and I do intend to some day soon. I have been on quite a journey recovering from my past 20 years of actions and decisions over the last 2 years and basically the smoking is the next one left to really deal with (other than the "sickness"). I just didn't feel like I could handle everything at once.

I was just curious how many people here still smoke...

And for the people that have quit smoking - have you seen any improvement in your fm, mps, cfs symptoms from that?

I've quit twice in the past and I know the "general" benefits of being healthier, not smelling like an ashtray, breathing better, smelling and tasting things better and actually having a little more energy (before all the fm, cfs and mps set in).

And please don't bash my head in for this post. I know that I should have never started back in the first place. I'm getting there....
    Thanks,
    MrsJ
  2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

Yes I do have the nasty habit,and I will quit but for right now it's more of a question of my sanity!
    Forgive and love me anyhow....
    Mary P.S.I don't smoke in my house,it does help me cut down.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/07/2006]
  3. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Yes, I am guilty... Have thought about quitting but everytime I think about it I get more anxious... I know it is bad but with all the stress going on I just don't want to think about it right now...

I'm scared of the thought and I also know it is bad for your health- make sense?

Hugs
  4. pumy

pumy New Member

Mrs. Jethro,

I used to smoke. I quit when my Grandma was diagnosed with lung cancer. I'm not a preacher. You will
    know if and when the time is right for you to quit smoking. My husband decided for me. Of course I didn't. You have to decide for yourself. I quit 7 yrs. ago. Cancer runs in my family. I was scared not to. How much do cigarettes cost now?? Arn't you afraid of getting lung cancer? I always was. I do think the anti smoking movement is getting more and more out spoken. Something to think
    about.

Pumy
  5. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I smoke whenever I go out. I think that when I drink I need to have a cigarette. However, it seems that it's becoming more and more often that I'm doing it, so I really need to stop. It's funny because I will go 2 to 3 weeks without a single one. But then as soon as I go out with my best friend, I'll smoke like a half a pack in one night.

I made the mistake of smoking last night, knowing that I'm getting sick. By the time I got home my throat was so sore, and I kept waking up feeling like there was fluid in my lungs. I would wake up feeling like I was choking on it. I know it's because I smoked last night.

I'm really going to try my best not to do this anymore, because it's only going to hurt me. Plus, my husband hates it when I smoke

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

before I saw the light. Haha

I never smoked much anyway. Stopped over two months ago. Hasn't had any noticable effect yet.

Pretty amazing that stopping smoking could stop FM pain. What a great bonus!
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I am a smoker and don't feel guilty at all!

I don't smoke in the house, the car, or when I go to places, like the park, the store, etc. That way the opportunities are very limited, and just cutting down by restricting myself have been very beneficial for me personally. I will probably puff on one and the same cigarette 4-5 times before it's out. I roll my own, which makes the cost redicuously low. 2 buck for a bag that last me 4-5 days.

Nobody have ever been able to tell that I smoke because there is no smokes in my clothes or on my breath that goes with heavy smoking. I can't stand the stench of smoker's clothes and breath myself, go figure!

8. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

then will quit again....i had the fm and all the crap way before i started smoking...in my early to mid 30's...stupid me...i wa tired of being good all the time...caught my then not legally separated husband smoking...so i wanted to let him think i was smoking a long time ago...

he couldn't beleive it...

see i was always miss dependable, wife, mother and worker..

he was not loyal or dependable...

well trying t quit again...

jodie
  9. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I know that as a former smoker I get alot of flack. You know..."Don't tell me about it!" LOL

I give the good Lord the credit for stopping my smoking habit. I woke up one morning and haven't had a cigarette since. I even kept a pack in my drawer for a year (can you imagine what a menthol pask smells like after a year??? Phew!) and then threw it out. I have not had a craving since. Like I said...The Good Lord has the credit for my quitting.

And if He can help me, He can help anyone! LOL

God Bless.
  10. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am embarrassed to admit that and even more embarrassed for anyone to see me smoking.

Both my mother and father had emphasyma and I had to watch my father die a long death from it. I had to take care of him in his last year of life and it was very painful for me to watch.

I was worried about MY lungs so I went to a pulminary who tested me for emphasyma. The tests came back negative for that fortunately but the Dr said that I won't have to worry about emphasyma because I'll be dead before that sets in of heart failure because of the ciggaretts and T1 Diabetes.

So...here I sit at 43 and still smoking without any true plans of quitting. Cigs are my only relief from all my stresses.
  11. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Count me in....
    I don't smoke around kids or other people's houses.
    I smoke when I want.
    I am over 21.
    I do know the dangers.
    I smoke 3 packs a day probably. I know they will kill me. I can't quit, I don't have it in me to be able to. I quit drinking years ago. But couldn't quit the smoking. I figure if that is the least of my evils, I'm not all that bad, haha! So it may shorten my life by ten years or so, I don't care. What am I supposed to do while I can't do anything else? I am not an over eater. Well, except when it comes to chocolate, haha! I know, I know, it is a horrible nasty habit.

I hope you all never light up!
    Kellyann
  12. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I refuse to be defensive about it anymore. And I'm sick of people preaching to me about it. the (half true) statement I'm the sickest of hearing is "there are hundreds of harmful chemicals in smokes". True there are lots of chemicals in processed cigarettes, but only in trace amounts, its the tar that gets you no matter what. I know some people swear by unprocessed tabacco, but I've tried them and they are so strong they hurt my lungs. I have to smoke very light cigarettes to tolerate it. As for the chemicals in cigs, there are far more and worse in perfumes, scented candles and air fresheners, those really kill me.So to all those smug people that preach to me about chemicals, and falsely think that they are chemical free - I set them straight.

I'm MCS, and am allergic to smoke from way back, before I got sick I was bothered by too much second hand smoke. Easy solution for me, is smoke outside and leave it behind. I've discovered its a smoke allergic, not the tabacco, since my worst smoke allergy is to wood smoke. We have a wood stove and if it backs up a little or we open a window I really start to hurt right away, and the tips of my fingers and toes burn.

So I guess I've chosen to pick my poison. For now anyway. I have to admit when I quit once my pain went way down. but yet it didn't the next time I quit, but I'm still hopeful, and will eventually try to quit again when I feel ready to tackle the brutal brainbending w/drawal I get. For someone who only smokes 4-6 a day, outside, you'd be amazed how bad the w/drawal stil is and it last mths. In the meantime, I'm very quick to knock poeple off their soapbox when they start on me about it. If you tried to talk to a fat person the way folks think they have the right to lecture smokers, you'd get you'd be looked at like a bully.

Jeanne
  13. Bambi

Bambi New Member

it's good for you. I have Chronic Severe Asthma also, controlled pretty much by medications, but I do all the things I shouldn't like having too many pets and lots of things. I've smoked since I was about 12 and took to it like a duck to water. Never got nauseated or dizzy even..not bragging.

I am just getting over my first experience with Pneumonia right now and I know the cigarettes didn't help any in the recovery I'm still going through. I'm 58 so have smoked a LONG time. Both parents smoked, my dad a lot and he died of cardiac arrest but had Emphesma also by then and my mother died of cancer that started in her lung. I think it is a stupid, dirty, smelly and nasty addiction. It's one addiction I think shuld get more attention than most others along with alcohol (no I don't have THAT one).

I heard a doctor on tv say years ago that eventually they will admit that the lung exrays we get so casually over our life times is really the culprit, but who knows. I see what it does to my furniture, clothes, walls etc and I DO think it has contributed to my serious teeth problems.

I DO want to quit, but like most of us I have an excuse for now to put it off. I always find one. I have quit very briefly in the past and saw NO change in my pain levels or anything related to the FM. I would never advise anyone to start because it IS so hard to stop, but I did and I surely can't lecture ANYone about it and don't want to be lectured either.
    Bambi
  14. quest390

quest390 New Member

I'm a smoker and it doesnt seem to affect me all that much when it comes to my CFS. Just wanted to give my 2 cents. Have a great weekend. Austin
  15. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i still smoke. since going on meds for seizures and headaches do to a "unidentifiable bright spot" found in my brain when i was 23, then all the meds and phtsical restrictions that have camoe with this dd, i have had to give up every other vice i had. smoking is the only one left. i know all the research, i know it's bad for me, but i can't give it up. i have had to give up alcohol, diet pepsi, all kinds of foods that are headache tirggers (yet i still get headaches almost daily). i need to keep something.
    rachel
  16. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

You know, people used to roll their own years ago- I have read articles about people living to be 100+ and smoked- now I am not saying smoking is good -no no no BUT sometimes I wonder if they changed the way they grow tobacco or the environment we live in today plays a big factor- I am a smoker- not saying good thing... I do not smoke in vehicles including my own- I will not smoke in your house if you do not- In my own house I have 1 area I smoke- 1 ashtray- my hubbie does not smoke so I respect that...

But again, I wonder about the polluted land, environment and what not....Look at all the mothers that smoked in the 40's & 50's, etc. - and had children- I am one of them..
    Just makes you wonder I guess..
  17. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I am a smoker have been since I was about 12 yrs old. (I'm 40 now) While I respect anyone that wants to quit or has quit for me I have no intentions of quitting.

I recently went to a new reumy my doc had referred me to, he diagnosed me with Raynauds Syndrome but told me until I quit smoking he would not Rx any meds for it as they would not do that much good. I told him that while I didnt mean any disrespect to him I had no intentions of quitting. He looked at me funny, guess no one had ever been that blunt with him before.

I enjoy it and while I know it is bad for me (my mother died from lung cancer and emphysema, she smoked till the day she died) so are alot of other things in this world. So anyway I applaud anyone who has made the decision to quit, but for me I will smoke till the day I die. Sorry if this seems harsh but just my opinion.
  18. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My MIL was truly a chain smoker, lighting the next cigarette with the last. She would do this even washing the dishes, she never stopped. I was surprised by the link between decrease in Alzheimer's with increased frequency of smoking. She surely did not fit in that group.

June
  19. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I'll be 5 years in remission from lung cancer come this September. And, it was "advanced"...not contained to just in the lung. Between the diagnosis, chemo and my attempting to quit, I was a total basket case. Plus, I'm allergic to patches, gum, etc., so it's cold turkey. I had two oncologists tell me not to worry about quitting.

Do I think my smoking caused the cancer...probably, but there were other contributing factors. I bought 3 ionizers to help get rid of the smell in our home. After a while, I noticed every surface was harder to clean...mirrors and glass especially. I stopped using them. Later on, it was published that these ionizers were dangerous and were taken off the market. If they gummed up mirrors, they gummed up my lungs.

Of the 4 people I know who've had lung cancer (me being one), only 2 of us smoked. The other 2 never smoked nor lived in a smoking environment. There are fewer people smoking these days, yet lung cancer is on the rise. I find that interesting. I suspect it's due to living in "contained" environments with the use of air conditioning/heater combos - no fresh air. Did you know one of the worst home air pollutants is dishwasher soap? People who use a lot of air fresheners (Fabrez especially) are setting themselves up for lung problems. Any oil based product is bad for our lungs....just like tar from cigarettes.

Every day of my life that I've smoked, I tell myself daily I'll quit, but never do.

20. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I smoke about 50 a day and have no intention of giving it up. I don't drink, gamble or go out socially, so I have to have one vice that I enjoy. My Dad dies of lung cancer but he had quit smoking 25 years before. He also used to work among a lot of chemicals, but of course the Drs blamed it on smoking. I was a hairdresser and worked with and inhaled chemicals, so who knows what is going to kill me.
    I smoke when I want, in the house, car and if I go shopping I will go outside for a smoke. Who knows what will happen tomorrow, I could get hit by a Mack truck, so I'm going to continue to enjoy my smokes.

Mafs