How many suffer from back and rib pain on a daily basis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onesmileymyley, Jan 2, 2003.

1. onesmileymyley

onesmileymyley New Member

I also have back and rib pain everyday. It is more on the sides and my left is worse then the right.
  2. healing

healing New Member

I too have back and rib pain -- I have pain just about everywhere. Anyway, my physical therapist and doctor (a DO)keep adjusting my ribs and my back, and it seems to help. Especially the work on the ribs. I also had one zero balancing treatment that helped....
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Your rib pain sounds like 'Costachondriasis', it is inflammation where the muscles join to the bones of the ribs. The only thing that helps when I do get this is OTC Advil gel caps, and a low dose of Xanax. Then I get in the bed with a long heating pad wrapped around me. Heat helps.

As for as I know, this is not Fibro, but it seems to come along with it.

I have also taken 'Joint Support'(Glucosamine and Chondroitin) for it, it also helps. You can read about this on the 'Store' link here at Pro Health. It is great for arthritis.

Mine will hurt more on one side than the other, but I have had it on both sides at the same time too.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Healing

Can you please explain what a zero balance treatment is?

Thanks
    Gill
  5. starstella

starstella New Member

do you also have painful lumps at places along the rib areas? It could be trigger points. Have you been diagnosed with any kind of back problem, such as a disc disorder? If so, the back problem could be creating problems in your ribs also. What does your doc think about these pains?
  6. onesmileymyley

Yes I also have all the lumps in my ribs. some are more painfull then others and I would say I have about 50 of them. some big and some small. I see a chrio and he said that my spine is all misalligned. I am working on getting it back in order. Shril I was told I had costo but I am confused as I do not get sever heart or chest pains. I do get a tight chest from time to time and once and awhile I will get a pian but they come and go very fast. also costo does not mention anything of lumps.
  7. Bambi

Bambi New Member

It's just I have SO many of the things people ask about. It doesn't
    make any sense if you just think about it, but for me a rib brace I
    bought at the pharmacy is the ONLY
    thing that helps my rib pain when it's flaring. The back is a never ending thing. My husband puts massage oil and massages my back and legs and
    then puts the PK5 on. Sometimes he'll
    use the vibrator we have, it's huge
    and has heat and a pulsating motion.
    I have to share it with my 13 year old Schnauzer though if she hears it.
    lol! Other than that. laying down awhile helps some and so does the heating pad followed in 15 minutes by
    ice pack, sometimes several back and
    forth. I told my husband if he tried to help EVERY pain I have he'd need
    octopus arms..from the bottom of my
    feet sometimes up to and including my
    hair. I hope any of the suggestions
    might help you...I know how painful
    this pain can be. Stretching also helps me sometimes if I can bare it.
    Take care. Hugs, Bambi
    Just had to ask Onesmileymyley...my
    maiden name was Miley..any thing to
    do with your nic?[This Message was Edited on 01/03/2003]
  8. JP

JP New Member

love your name...I am a 24/7 pain case for both back and ribs...and there are reasons beyond the FMS. Too many injuries, sports, auto accidents and a REALLY bad fall with a REALLY big dog-funny story...changed my life a bit however.

take care...Jan
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

is something I thought I'd just have to learn to do. Some days it's awful, some days it's not so bad, but it's always there, and I just sort of figured it always would be. I'm blessed that I don't have rib pain too. Unless you count that area right between my breasts - that HURTS and is tender all the time.
  10. onesmileymyley

I have the name as it is my youngest son's name. his name is myls but we call him smileymyley and he is 1. To everyone else thank you for your response
  11. onesmileymyley

bump bump de dump
  12. oceans

oceans New Member

*raises hand*

it is worse on the sides for me too.

~
    kate.
  13. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I definately have costochondritis. On a daily basis, it's the ribs on the sides--more so on the right than left. I hurt alot down by the waistline and the dr called these floater ribs. I sometimes get the sternum pain too. I do what Shirl does--anti-inflammatory, Xanax and heat. What does a chiro do for the ribs? Been afraid to go to one cause I have osteoporosis. I'm afraid adjustments could cause a stress fracture? I also have some scoliosis and I think this may have some effect on the ribs.
    Tania
  14. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Does cold weather affect your rib pain more? When it's warm it seems like my pain is less.
    Tania
  15. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

My back hurts always. I can't stand up longer than 15 minutes before it hurts so much on the lower left that I make huffing noises and have to sit. My right ribs are starting to act up much more frequently than before. I don't wanna gross anyone out but it's VERY painful to wipe! lol. The rib muscles will go into a big 'ol spaz every time! damn! Can't we even go potty safely? N
  16. morgana

morgana New Member

Hi hope that you had a great xmas and new year and your sons tonsil op went ok and hes feeling alot better.
    I have constant rib pain every day now its more of a burning and deep ache it goes frommy left side ynder my arm underneath my left breast and to my breastbone.it also radiates to my shoulder sometimes and down to underneath my left rib my diaphragm i think.
    I also have lots and lots of lumps and bumps all over my ribs they are so hard and soooooooooooo very painful to touch I have also found some lumps in the cartilage muscle which joins my breast bone to the ribs which is quite scarey as they borderline into my breast itsself.this is also making my breast very tender at the moment.do you hsave the pain under and what feels like in your breast??i dont like toi keep going back to the dr as i think hes sick of the sight of me LOL if you would like to chat some time my ad is celeste@cheerful.com gentlehugs morgana
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The PK-5 rub is just fantastic! My huband found it at Walgreen's and rubbed my back and sides with it, it was great. He went back and got the kind that is like a 'roll on deodorant' that I can use myself when he is not home.

If you want to go one stronger, try the 'Banalg' Hospital Strength, this one is very powerful, and also works great. But just be careful with your eyes and private parts. I use it with gloves on. It is hard to get off the hands, but it is a great rub too.

Shalom, Shirl
  18. oceans

oceans New Member

cold weather makes pain x10 worse for me, i hate winter !
  19. Quequay

Quequay New Member

I have had rib and back pain constently for a year and a half. My chest is the worst, on either side of the sternum or center of chest. I have to where a support bra cause the weight of my breasts increases the pain. I thought for sure that I had lung cancer because the pain seemed that deep in my upper back and down to the bottom rib and hurts when I take a deep breathe.

I just can't beleive the amount of people that are in pain...technology of today and medical knowledge growing with each day there should be some kind of relief.

I don't know yet but I am certainly going to find a way to fix it, there has to be something I can do. It is not right that this many people should be suffering...I better get my thinking cap on and see what happens....

Good Wishes to all,
    Kristen
  20. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Mine is left sided from tissue damage from being rear-ended almost 3 years ago. Now I have FM and chronic myofascial pain ~ it NEVER goes away...sometimes turns into an excruciating headache until i rub out the triggerpoint. Im always massaging my back, above and below ribs and neck!!! ARG!!!!!!