How many suffer from excessive work place anxiety?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I am experiencing so much work anxiety, I'm just not sure what to do.

I work in a local hospital in the medical records dept. When I first took this job, I really thought that it wouldn't be so demanding. I don't know how many of you are familiar with this kind of work.

I have fibro, TMJ, back problems, migrains, yeast problems, IBS. In spite of all my medical problems, I would still love to find a job that is suitable for me. I haven't found that yet, and maybe never will.

Hospitals are gossipy, stresful environments which I was too naive to see from the beginning.

In medical records you have to constantly pull charts for doctors to sign, deliver charts to the ER and other floors, It is heavy, repetitive high volume, with very little training.

I am someone who needs GOOD training on a job because of my cognitive problems. I just can't seem to find that.

Thankfully, some of my other co-workers agree that the training is sink or swim, so at least I have some support with the co-workers, but not all of them.

After I was there for only 8 months, I did not get a very good review because I had a hard time understanding the job with such awful training.

My boss does like me and knows I try hard, my next review was much better and I received a raise, but the hell I went through with my pain and fatigue was enormous.

Now, I feel paranoid if I forget one step, even though my family keeps reminding me that I am at least doing the job, trying my best, in spite of all the health problems.

We keep hearing with out conditions that we should pace ourselves, eat smaller meals, take time out. How in the world could anyone do that while they are on the job?

I barely have time for a break. I'm only working part time (30 hours a weeks), so I get a lunch break only for half an hour.

Many of the women I work with are younger than me, I'm 41, and they have more stamina and think clear, this only gives me more anxiety.

I was thiniking about talking to a vocational counselor to see what kind of job would suit me best, although I have no idea how to go about doing this. I can barely walk around or think when I get home from work, again it creates anxiety.

I am not a medicine person, so anti-anxiety drugs are out of the question for many reasons.

How do all of you cope? Is evaluation time at work a problem for you? I don't know how long I will be able to deal with this, although I have worked there now or 2 1/2 years. My posts are always long, sorry about that. Hugs, Chelz.

2. jole

jole Member

Boy, do I understand! I was a med. transcriptionist in HIM for years, and yes, that is a very high stress job! I also helped file, pull files,etc. and it is a killer. I kept it up for as long as I could, but finally had to quit.

I hope you can hang in there, or at least find something less stressful, but I really don't have any ideas for you. Just a lot of understanding and sympathy!! :)
  3. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thank you Jole and Msdreamalone. Thanks for acknowleging these problems. Jole, medical transcription is stressful as well, I know a few of them who had to get out of that career because of work stress and the whole environment, so I know you understand. I will try to hang in.

Msdreamalone, you have also nailed this one, I forgot about workplace nastiness with verbal abuse. I see it all the time. Hospitals should be a place of healing and nurture and maybe they are for the patients, which is good, but for the employees it is a totally different atmosphere.

I am constantly worried about mistakes, even though I do so much and the majority of the work I do is accurate and timely, but one slip up and it's dooms day. Thanks for listening. Hugs, Chelz.
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I got hauled out by the emergency squad for anxiety attack (I thought I was having a heart attack). That was 4 years ago and that is when I went on Effexor. It really did help. I had many trips to the ER (on my own) and many DRs prior to that. I had a couple of minor nxiety attacks after that but I went on FMLA and could leave when I felt it coming on. I also have severe chronic migraines and lots of common migraines and just headaches (daily). My cognitive is really poor and I have no virtually no retention. I am ready to throw in the towel. I just can no longer function.
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

My job involves unmanageable caseloads (and all of the files and paperwork and seeing people in person and having to take and returns hundreds of calls per month), and covering for others. I've been there for 7 years. My fatigue, fibro fog and sensitivities to light and loud noise (coworker socializing/gossiping) makes my job feel like prison. I am trying to get a job with the organization that doesn't involve unscheduled service to people. I am trying to get a position that would involve seeing people that I've scheduled only.

Whenever I feel especially fatigued or have more pain than usual, that's the day that I have walk-ins (people who are on my caseload walking in off the street) or meetings that are offsite or 3 hours long. Once I'm done seeing 2-3 walk-ins and or sitting in on a 3-hour meeting that could've been condensed to 1 hour, I have no energy to work casefiles and call people back.

Sundays (and today is Sunday) are the worst for me. I get so depressed thinking about what the workweek has in store for me. Sometimes I just want to light a match to all of the paperwork and files, etc. I know I would do so much better if I didn't have to work for a living.
  6. nina_and_me

nina_and_me New Member

I, too, work in a large healthcare facility. Although I am non-clinical, the work is very demanding, the hours are long, and there is pressure to do more and more in 40 hours because they can't afford to pay overtime.

I've been here for 3 1/2 years, and I initially thought that a hospital would be more understanding of major health problems, but it's the opposite. I also thought that our health benefits would be better - my premiums are higher and our benefits are horrible.

The workload and the demands are higher than at any job I've ever worked. I, too, am told what I "should" do to manage my illnesses and the people who tell me these things haven't got a clue about my situation.

I think a vocational counselor is a good idea, and I'd like to see one, too. I know that I won't be able to work until retirement age. I'm 42 now, and I'd like to make it until I'm 60. That goal seems impossible, because I have trouble making it from day to day.

It's frustrating and it's a little scary.

nina
  7. shywolf4

shywolf4 New Member

I think a vocational counselor would be a great idea. They can know all your restrictions and find the right job for you. Contact your state's disability office and ask if they have a vocational counselor for people with disabilities. Most people think that sort of counselor is for handicapped teenagers trying to enter the workplace, but I have since found out that it is also for anyone who has developed a disability that prevents them from doing their previous work. It is to there benefit to find you a job you can do so that you do not file for Social Security. Good luck.
  8. MKate

MKate New Member

HI -

I know exactly what you are saying -- the anxiety about job demand is exaxperating - especially when you want to do a great job - but worry about your bodies/mind's ability that day or week, hour, minute, etc....

Have you seen the article ON Heart Failure and CFS? It is great. I'm using the vitamins, and got results in 4 days....

Short of that -- I am a financial advisor/Financial Planner. I have always wanted to find someone just like you, who can work 20-30 hours / week, do a low-key job, but would be loyal and helpful, and consciencious.....Many good financial advisors just need someone who will stay with them, learn the job and be loyal.....The hours are often less, too and can be flexible.

Do not go to a bid brokerage house -- but to someone who does LIfe Insurance and Health and Long-term care with Investments....it is more lowkey....There a small offices of one or two or 5 or 7 people. Usually the "cream of the crop" type of caring people (If I do say so myself)!

Good luck -- I'm chaning my environment as well -- creating a job where I can use my Financial Planning skills but only work low-key for 30 hours / week. It is taking some time (more months than you want to know) but I'm almost there. The hunt IS worth it....someone needs YOU>

Mkate
  9. moab341

moab341 New Member

Unfortunately I have no choice.
    I support myself, and no work = no money.

I would love nothing more than to walk out the door and take the time for myself that I need to rest and try to pull my life together.

If one more person walks by me and says, "Are you sick, you don't look very good," I'm going to lose it!

10. jake123

jake123 New Member

Working in an alternative school for felons, etc. high school age. Mostly nice kids, a few hard cases to make even the other kids want to tell them to SHUT UP. Pressure from the higher up to my boss, whom we adore, but we feel her stress and we always hope we are doing a good job but occasionally we feel inferior and depressed. Luckily, as a group on our wing we try to boost each other up.

Sometimes I have to go home and go right to bed and rest until I stop thinking about it. Othertimes, I just go to the mall and indulge myself--if I deserve it! I don't do alot of cooking in the evening. A quick salad, a sandwich, cup of soup, blt, cereal.

One has to deal with it anyway one can, huh?

11. Shalala

Shalala New Member

WHen you commented about people quitting etc and it is NOT JUST ME ... i NEEDed a chuckle. I think I am feeling a little better now.
  12. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks to everybody who responded. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with this problme, but of course I know that's not true.

Some of you have more stressful jobs than I do and I really do give you all credit. Yes, I experience cat fights among the employees and unfortunately a lot of competition. I do not like competition to see who is better, faster, etc. Just a nasty part of working in this environment or maybe it's like that in a lot of work places. All is know is that it is Friday now and I can RELAX FOR THE WEEKEND. I hope. Thanks again and thank you for the vocational counselor information. Hugs, Chelz.