How Many Take Benzo's , The Dose and How Often

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 28, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering how many take benzo's , the dose, how often and how they help.

I take Xanax, my Rx is .05 three times a day and if needed can take an extra at bedtime.

Does anyone take as much as I do and as often?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi greatgran

Yes I take benzo's altho I swore they would never croos my lips again several years ago.I take clonezapam.

Now Im taking maybe a fourth of a .05 refuse to take more. only at bedtime if things are bad. Hoping to get off of even that.

I caution everyone using them and to careful watch dosage.

But then theres the catch 22. Plan on post website my daughter found that helped me withdraw and understand benzos.

Some docs wont even prescribe them anymore or soma.

[This Message was Edited on 09/28/2008]
  3. dhinkle

dhinkle New Member

I have been taking flexeril for 25 years and take 10 mg. most nights. I have been known to take .25 mg of loranzepam if I get too anxiety. Flexerill is cyclobenzaprine. It actually has worked the best for me. I also have radically changed my diet the last 8 years and am now in really good shape. I have taken out MSG, ASPARTAME, NUTR SWEET AND HIGH FRUCTOSUE CORN SURUP. It has worked and I can now work after years of horrible pain and not working. I was once in a wheel chair with FM. Life is good right now. E-mail me and maybe I can help.
  4. gongee

gongee New Member

I myself take Xanax 3.50mg per day divided up into 5 doses.

I know it sounds like a high dose (and it is to me) but I was told by my doctor who prescribes it and several other physicians (one being my son) that even 4 mg per day is a low dose for someone with panic disorder. The usual dose begins at 5 mg. I just pray I never have to go up to that point.

I also was told by doctors and several people who now do not take Xanax that once you get to a dosage that controls the panic and anxiety completely, you actually forget about it. When you can come to that point you are better able to come off of it if you and your doctor see fit.
    I guess whatever we have to do in order to function, we have to do.

5. spacee

spacee Member

Yes, it was very difficult for me to take the benzos. I was used to taking nothing for anything.

But for 22 years I have taken them. They did save my life.

At first I was on 1gm xanax 4 times a day. (What the docs didn't realize was that I was having tachycardia..which didn't happen in the office. They thought I was having anxiety)

Then I was given Klonopin (clonazapam) 1.5gm at nite. And then I didn't need the xanax during the day. BUT I did need .5 xanax to help sleep since the clonazapam wakes me up).

Later I weaned off .5 of the klonopin to 1gm per night. I will have to stay there because of the neuropathy (skin pain) that I have which klonopin makes bearable.

I would not take these if I didn't have too. But the neuropathy was caused by a med a urologist gave me and I have no choice but control the pain. Otherwise, I am house/bed bound.

6. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I take 0.50 mg of Xanax 2 times a day...One in the afternoon when I am to exhausted to move and one at bedtime. If I am having a bad "dying feeling " day, I take an extra one.

As long a person knows to NEVER go off these suddenly, I think they are a lifesaver. At least in my case.

I also take 10mg of Lexapro once a day.

Take care,

7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

You know I take a benzo.

I take Xanax 1mg at bedtime to sleep.

I have taken up to 3mg per day for panic disorder in the past but was originally prescribed 2 mg 3x per day (6mg total) which meant I took 3 naps. I reduced to 3mg (3 x 1mg) almost right away and have not taken more than that since.

Not a pattern to worry much about. I'd so much rather take this than a sleep med. that causes sleep walking, eating and amnesia like some of the new ones do.

I ranted on this very topic in a thread titled Xanax if anyone's interested.

Peace out,
  8. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

I've been taking Xanax 0.5mg once to twice a day... Mainly take one at night to help me sleep... When I was first put on Xanax in 1999, I was put on 0.5mg three times a day. The stuff definitely helped...
  9. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

I take two .05 (?) at night. I take it for tremors, jerks, RLS, and sleep. My rheumy wants me to go off the Klonopin because I'm on so much other stuff. Also, my neuro is unhappy about the Klonopin. My fibro doctor thinks it's fine. It's nice being able to eat soup without spilling it all over the place because your hands are shaking so much.

However, I also take ambien and Rozerem. So that's a lot of sedating stuff. And the funny thing is, I still can't sleep sometimes. But I do have a hard time waking up.

I still feel kind of guilty about my meds. I know I should probably go off some of them. I know that I can't sleep without the AMbien. I have tried over and over, and it just doesn't work. And I don't sleep walk or sleep eat or anything like that, as long as I go right to bed.

Enough said.
  10. monicaz49

monicaz49 New Member

As needed
    Lowest dose .25mg AND...i only take 1/4 of the pill since i'm so sensitive. As needed low dose it has been a life saver to me, higher doses every day was no good for me.

If your dose is helping then take it. You could try lowering the dosage a bit if you want to see if you still benefit from it. Dont worry though, I know people take 3mg a day. I say...take as little a dose as you can, as needed.

Sometimes if you take too high of a dose unnecessarily, then when the med wears off you immediately feel like you need it again in your body. Funny, but Xanax helps me more on a LIGHTER dosage and made me worse on a higher one. Everyone is different though.

Good Luck

11. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks to each for your replies. The medicine does help but I am about to up my dose for awhile to see if I can get my anxiety under better control

I have been on .25 three times a day for years but lately my anxiety has increased. My Rx calls for .05 three times a day so going to try that for a couple of months.

I have been in a crash, sinus infection, and a lot of family stress so got to get rid of this anxiety.

So going to increase for about a week or whatever and see if it helps.

I was to anxious to go for my CT Scan today.

Thanks and God Bless,
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Gongee, thanks you so much for your reassurance, I totally agree but needed to your post to tell me if I have a medicine that works why be miserable. I am going to up my dose for awhile .

Rafili, read your post and replied. Thanks for your help.

God Bless,
  13. Wolverine

Wolverine Member

Strangely, the only one i can tolerate is valium, though i don't see many people on here use this one particularly.

I use it most nights (half-one 5mg tablet). Mostly just half tho to get to sleep. I really want to wean down a bit, because i get more dependant eventually. Want to get it back to 2-3 nights a week or wean if poss. For now it helps enough to keep on it.
  14. lwhite1111

lwhite1111 New Member

I take clonazepam 0.5. One at night, 1/2 of that in the morning and another 1/2 at 2:00pm. It was originally prescribed for panic disorder. They say it is very addicting. I've been on it for 3 months so I don't know yet...

15. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I have 1 mg tabs. I can to 1/2 to 1 tab 2 times a day. So some days I don't need it. Other days I take the 2 mgs totaled throughout the day. I never take more then 2 mg within a 24 hour period. I try to start with the .5 at first, adjust as necessary. I have finally figured out that when I feel anxiety starting, you know that feeling of your stomache in your throat, I take .5. Instead of waiting to be in a full panic attack.
    At bedtime I usually take 15 mg to 30 mgs of tamazepam. But If I have had a very stressful day, Iskip that and take a xanax at bedtime.