How Many Take Over 1 mg of Xanax Daily?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 1, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have been on xanax for at least 7 years . I am now taking .05 three times a day, it scares me to be do dependant on this drug but without I would be in more misery. Its no miracle drug but it does help with the anxiety/depression, agoraphobia and I can't tolerate antidepressants. When I am in a bad crash or there is something very stressful going on ,I can take extra.

Just wonderin if I am the only one that relies on this much xanax , this is the only Rx drug I take.

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I don't know why I worry so much. I never used to be this way . So you think this is a small amount, I hope so. My doc has no problem with me taking them but I wonder if this is just to get me off his back. I never have to ask for a prescription. Guess I am just a worry wort that came with this darn cfs or what ever I have.

Yesterday I had a good day , actually did a little shopping and felt ok this morning but later the awful gloom , scared feeling hit so popped the xanax and ate some turkey. The doc wants me to eat turkey because of the L-trytophan and theanine in it. He says it helps with anxiety.

Just can't understand why I can feel almost human one day then days of doom and gloom.

Thanks for always being there I just needed to vent.
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

I at one time was taking 4 mgs of clonezapam. I ended up with seizures and in hospital for a week 2yrs to detox off of this drug.There was a lady in hospital with me that had been on xanax for over 20yrs and her sypmtoms were worse(she had all you listed)and was having shock therapy. They had me talk to her and I tried to convince her to go off.

It was due in large part to docs not precribing right and my pa leaving her partice with no notice and no one else would fill prescrip.

Have posted many times about the dangers of this drug but understand w e have to take what works. Thier only suppposed to be taken for 2 wks.

After I went off I was amazed the clearing in my head and my symptoms went way down.

Could you be having a rebound after 7 yrs? Your anxiety doesnt to be getting better. Maybe time to switch?
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

I was on xanax for about 3 years before cfs. They did wonders for me. I got to feeling much better and would forget to take them and before I knew it I wasn't taking any and was drug free until the cfs. The doc first prescribed them for vertigo. I didn't take them regularly at that time but as time went on I only took about 1/4 mg 3 times a day. Then all the trouble started with granddaughter and me keeping the greatgrans in order to be able to keep going I have to take them to keep the agoraphobia , anxiety etc at bay. I feel if my family situation would get better or I wasn't responsible for the little ones I could cut my dose way back.

I think its all the added family stress I just don't handle well.

I have tried other meds but none worked like xanax and they just take the edge off but that helps and i don't want to increase my dose.

Maybe it is rebound I am not sure, how do you know.

So glad you are off the drug and doing better and thanks for your reply,
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Hey, I laughed yesterday.. I had eggs this morning, put a turkey breast in the oven and have just eaten trukey and 1/2 of a sweet potatoe, didn't feel up to fixing anything else.

Its 56 here today and beautiful outside. Got to get off this worry go round.

Thanks and Hugs,
  6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i am also on the same does as you. sometimes i take all three for the day. sometimes im good with just one or two, depends on the day.usually when my script is up i still have at least 10 or so left, so i feel like im managing ok with that dose. i think your like me and are scared of the side effects of meds, but you have been on them for a while and if they were gonna do any damage then it would have already showed up.( thats what i think) and like me i think your depressed, and xanax isnt for depression, although i think it helps some. i am debating on getting on ad's i know i need them and it will also help with my disability claim. i just hate new meds like you do cause of the side effects. the fibro & cfs does so much damage i cant stand the thought of a drug i willingly took making me worse!! It's scary to say the least. But sometimes we just have to "Let Go and let God" ya know??? easier said than done I KNOW!!!! lol.but hey .05 is a low dose and if i have to go be it. were not abusing our meds we just need some help, and sometimes that means meds we dont like to take, but we need to. try not to worry too much about the xanax.yes it's addictive, but so is lots of other things.And if it works for you than so be it, just keep thinking like me, one day we wont need the meds, cause we wont need websites for fibro/cfs anymore... cause thier gonna find a cure!!!! Love ya, Kat
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Its nice to share with someone who can relate. Have you tried AD's before? I have and can't tolerate the side effects, maybe I don't give them a chance. I am afraid of meds. Is this part of this darn anxiety.

Why does this dd have to bother our brain so much. I even doubt if I really have CFS or FM , maybe its all depression/anxiety.

Oh, well, hope the cure is soon. If not maybe we can count our xanax together.

8. MsE

MsE New Member

I have been taking the same amount of Xanax's cousin, Lorazepam, and in the same dosages of .05 three times a day. I've tried antidepressants with disasterous results, so I stayed with Lorazepam.

However, since putting myself back on the estragen patch, I've been able to cut back. Most days I'm down to 1mg per day. It has taken a couple of weeks to ease down to that. I've been careful and slow because I know cutting back suddenly can be dangerous.

But I haven't felt the need for the Lorazepam, and getting out and around is not the ordeal it was a couple of weeks ago. I'm not spoofing you, Greatgran. Estradiol really is making a difference.

However, if I found out that this is just a fluke, one of those blessed times with CFS eases, and am down and out again in the future, I will most definitely go back to using Lorazepam to help me live my life. As my doctor says about Lorazepam (and also about Estradiol) "If it helps, use it." He totally gets it that I'm a real "princess" when it comes to most meds, and when something works--helps a bit--he's delighted.

I suspect you'll find a lot of people use Xanax regularly. My sis, who has MS, wouldn't be caught without it. She uses much more than you do to keep the MS spasms from keeping her immobilized. By the way, her doc just told her to try the estradiol patch. Quite often if one member of the family who has one of these "grey" diseases is helped by something, another member is, too.

I got a phone call from her a couple days after she started the patch. She was almost crying ith happiness. Said she had slept long and hard that night for the first time in months. She said she thought she would ween herself off the Xanax, "but not yet." She wants to make sure she is really and truly better before she begins that slow process.

By the way, the amount of Xanax you are using isn't all that much compared to other people I know. Well, enough. I wish you well, dear friend of many years. Love, MsE
  9. greatgran

greatgran Member

How long did it take for you to notice a difference after starting the patch. I just found my old prescribtion and there is one left. I am thinking of using it but could I tell a difference in a week. The doctor was reluctant to prescribe the HRT for me.

Anything is worth a try, I know it did wonders for me years ago.

10. MsE

MsE New Member

Greatgran, within an hour, my hands begin feeling as if I had just used super good hand cream. By the end of the day, I was less anxious. My the next morning I knew something was different. By the end of the second day, I was moving more easily. In other words, I could tell a difference in hours. I think my body had been screaming for the stuff. It was sort of miraculous, and I put it down to placebo effect for several more days. Not. I am definitely feeling better and sleeping better.
  11. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i tried one several years ago,called Celexa. thats when they put me on Xanax the first time with the AD. i did pretty good on it, no major side effects, although it kinda made me where i didnt care one way or another, i wasent depressed, but then again i wasent really feeling anything. dont know if that makes sense.Also if i get on one, and im sure i will be soon, it will have to be one that dosent make me gain a ton of weight either!! im pushing Maximum Density now!!!
    I also do think Anxiety kinda puts some of our fears into overdrive, like if i drive over a bridge you can bet ill have a small anxiety attack, specially if my xanax is wearing off, or driving in heavy traffic!!!it scares me to death! even getting any kind of tests done, MRI, Bloodwork, anything even a chest xray and im about ready to loose it, it's got to be the disease. before i got so sick, i could do all of that, heck i had 2 kids Natural with NO Pain meds and wasent scared at all, i'll be going to my doc this wednesday and am gonna have a looong talk about AD's i want the one with the least side effects that she can give me.
    I also agree with the hormone thing here, theres lots of them to choose from now since you have been on them, you might try just to see if it makes a difference, i have been on them for 8 months, and i can tell that i'd do way worse without them. it's worth a try.
    keep hanging in there, ill post you some info on ad's. you do what makes you feel better,thats the bottom line!! {{Hugs}}Kat
  12. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

hi gg,

it sounds perfectly "o.k." to me; i would not worry about the xanax - i have had a 'script for almost 20 years, and use it "as needed".

the exact same amount as you, too. it's not a large dose, especially spread out over 24 hours.

i also take 1.5 Klonopin *every* day (for anxiety), and the xanax just "as needed". I would recommend Klon. to you just as well -- feels exactly the same as xanax but lasts almost 24 hours.

take care.
  13. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

is it an AD or anti anxiety??? i thought klnopin was just an extended release form of xanax. does it help with pain? like from muscle spasms?? actually it sounds like it would be better than xanax if it lasts 24 hours, thats the only think i dont like about the xanax, i only take a half at a time cause a whole one just puts me to sleep. but when i do the half thing, about 30 minutes before my 4 hours is up or sometimes sooner i can tell its wearing off and can feel the anxiety building. and sometimes when that gets really bad i put it under my tongue so it relieves the anxiety faster.thanks for any info, Kat