How many take Percocet for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Feb 27, 2006.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

My husband had some Percocet after his shoulder operation and I tried one for my pain which has recently gotten worse. He has 5-325mg and a whole made me drunk, but a half took away my hip pain for an entire day. And by an entire day, I mean that I took it around 7 am and it lasted about 12 hours.

I know it is "addicting" so I expect that neither my PCP or rheumy will give it to me. I wondered how many take this for pain consistantly and if you have had to increase to get the same effect - meaning, is is feasible for long term pain relief?

Thanks,
    Sonya
  2. janiemac

janiemac New Member

This is what I call my "bad day" meds. This does wonders when the vicodin doesn't seem to touch anything. If your doc is not treating your pain, I don't understand. Pain management is a very important part of helping a person. How can anyone function if they are in pain all the time. You don't say what all your issues are but you can bet I would speak to my doc if he is not helping you in that area. I only take them when nothing else can cut through the misery. It's been 2 years and there is no addiction....
  3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I have so far been on nothing but Advil for pain. I was dx 2 years ago next month. I am at the point now where I need something and tried that because we had it and I had an UNBEARABLE day with regard to pain last Friday.

I want to go to my doc and get something and am trying to research first as always. You all are the best resource for that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sonya
  4. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I don't take percocet.. but I do take Darvacet daily, it's not quite as strong as percocet..

Maybe inquire about that? You could ask your doctor for a 2 weeks supply-to "test" it.. If you show your doctor you're willing to experiement to get the right meds for you, he should be willing to help..

Good luck-
    zzz
  5. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

6. JLH

JLH New Member

They are too strong for me -- I can take just ONE of the 5-325mg. and I will be asleep for 24 hours! I'll wake up long enough to go to the bathroom and/or get a bite to eat and then I am back to bed sound asleep!

My MIL took it because of 3 fractures in her back. She soon got immune to the 5 mg and had to continually be increased to the higher strengths. She finally reached the point when they were not helping her at all. Her doc said it was because she had taken too many for too long.

7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I appreciate your input. Today I am suffering from menstral cramps and fatigue because I started last night. Another 1/2 today with 2 Advil and the pain is gone. That right now will last me all day, judging from the past few days. Why do I feel guilty for taking something for my pain when I have been having pain EVERY DAY for the last 2 years and either "toughing it out" with nothing or taking only Advil?????

I feel alot of compassion for people who are addicted to these and other drugs, but I have to admit I am a bit miffed that they have been so misused to "get high" that people who really need them cannot get them.

Sonya