how many take Vit.D3 for Fibromyalgia??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by campbeck97, Oct 14, 2009.

1. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I have been reading tons of information on all the great things vit D does for our bodies and was wondering if anyone was taking it and with what results have you received....good or bad.Oh and what dose are you taking . I know there are mixed ideas as how much we really need compared to what the govermnment states that we should have (400 IU) compared to the 4000 IU for adults and higher. Do you need your vit levels tested before starting.. or just start? Thanks any responses would be appreciated.
  2. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

my level was 28 and last month it was 54. I take about
    5000 IU every day.

I found it helps my depression issues too.
  3. Also taking it because my level was 6.

After three months of taking 2,000 IU (once a day) of vitamin D3, my level was 43, and the NP told me to stop taking it, "if" I was "going to be getting a lot of sun" (this was in March)

I did not stop taking it... I've always read levels should be *at least* 50-90.... and some doctors who are interested in this matter, believe even the 50-90 may be on the lower side.

So, I do still take it, simply because I disagree with that NP, that 43 was a good level....and, I do NOT get a lot of sun, (MS!)
    I am sooo light complected that even "Ivory" foundation =the palest shade any company makes, is 'too dark' for me!!!!)
    MS, and sun/heat DO NOT usually mix. I go outside, lol, don't get me wrong, but, probably not long enough to get anywhere near the amount of sunlight I'd need, to *only* count on sun, to raise my Vit D levels.

I've not noticed a THING, btw, other than the bloodwork gives numbers... from taking Vitamin D3, but, since I know I need it, I take it. HOPING it will improve my immunity this year! (Caught the flu twice last year, plus a 'regular' cold- that's the most I'd been sick in YEARS.)

I had a couple of years, of only getting the sniffles, maybe... but, it appears I'm back to being like the start of my illness- catching *everything* that comes my way.. I've skipped family events due to it, don't know what to do about thanksgiving & X-mas!

Anyways, that's why, how much, and I notice no change in how I feel, or symptoms, from taking it. Wish I did, but, like I said, I'll still take it, because I need it.

(I'm 31/F if that matters... supposedly that, and body weight can play a factor in how much a person needs/should take- well, you can see Beadlady takes 5,000 IU, and her level is only 11 higher than mine was in March, even though mine was 6, hers was 28 starting out...)

Hope this helps

4. KerryK

KerryK Member

I was told by my doctor to take supplements since my blood levels were extremely low. Its only been a few weeks, but I noticed that after a few days my chronic depression improved a lot! It hasn't helped my pain issues at all, but the impact on depression is well worth it. I take 4000 iu/day. It has worked better than any antidepressant I have used over the years.

Great topic
  5. is it vit D 3 or just D that u need to ck blood testing? I heard one u fast? Can u take too much D?
  6. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I take 2-3000mg a day. I mainly started taking it to help w the depression I battle w. I think it's helped a little.
  7. jole

jole Member

I don't think just telling your doc to check your D levels is enough. You have to be specific with them about wanting the D3 checked also. Some are just plain ignorant to some facts.

For instance, my PCP honestly didn't know there was such a thing as a free T3-4! She thought a TSH was all you needed. When I argued with her she slammed out of the room in a huff, came back later and snottily said, "Well, obviously YOU know more than I do". (She had at least gone to ask the lab about it, hoping to prove me wrong.) BTW, she is no longer my PCP....

If they don't want to listen, and you politely provide info that they won't take the time to look at, forget it. There are still some out there who get extremely offended if we know more than they do because of our research. Some hear there's no "cure" for FM, so they don't want to be bothered with us, plain and simple.

And yes, I do take Vit D in liquid form with my magnesium and also in capsule form with my calcium. Haven't noticed a difference though, but have severe osteoarthritis and know I need all three for my bones.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/15/2009]
  8. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I just went through the D3 thing.
    When I had my back surgery in 2007, they wouldn't even do it until I upped my VitD3 levels.
    They put me on 50,000 IU a day (no that isn't a typo, 50,000) for six weeks.
    Then last year I had it checked again as part of my routine blood work at it was back down to 19. I too am incredibly fair skinned and don't get out in the sun much just due to how sick I am.
    I have my levels back up but I continue to take 4000 IU's per day. There have been alot of articles in the medical journals lately about the recommended 2000 IU currently used is way toooo low, especially for people above the 40 deg. latitude. That includes I believe anyone at or above the state of Utah latit. They are saying it makes a great differenece in how people feel.

My sister went through this, this past summer. She was starting to feel generally lousy and mind you she has none of the CFS/FS crappola, she is my step-sister, so not blood related. Her Dr. saw that she was vit D defit. and put her on 4000 IU's 2xdaily. Within weeks she was feeling sssoooooo much better. So Vit D really does play a significant part in how we feel.

I myself can tell when my level D3 is dropping now that I know the difference. Every little bit helps us.

Just make sure you use the Vit.D3. It DOES make a difference.
    If I had a scanner I would send you the article my pain Dr. gave me.
    I'll try and find it and at least put up some relevant quotes.

Lots o luck,
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I take a "One-a-Day Women's 50+ Advantage" multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement each day which has 800 IU of Vit.D (200% daily value).

I also take a high-potency D-3 vitamin, 1000 IU, a day (250% daily value).

I only added the extra D-3 because I never go outside in the sun. I am in a wheelchair, so I only leave the house to go to a doctor's appointment or to Wal-Mart once or twice a month for groceries. I know one of the sources of Vit. D is the sun, even just 15 min. a day would be OK, I think I remember reading. But I hardly ever go out and I seldom drink milk which is fortified with Vit. D.

I have never discussed it with my doc yet, but on my next visit, I'm going to mention it and ask him to check my level in my next set of labs.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  10. zeowa

zeowa New Member

So a Vitamin D level isn't sufficient? Does one need several D levels tested?

My pcp did want to test D and she was shocked that my level was 19 after 3 months of taking 2-3,000 mg/day. So am I, now that I'm thinking about it. Oh, I am/have been taking the D-3, bioactive version. I can't imagine what my level would have been prior to supplementation!

11. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

I can't comment on its relation to Fibromyalgia, but I take D3 because it's a major deal for your immune system, and like many here, I don't go outside much.

I don't notice a physical difference, but I didn't really expect to, because I wasn't deficient. I started taking it because of its benefits and my increasing lack of sun exposure. Overdose is exceedingly rare for Vitamin D so this is one supplement I wouldn't worry about taking too much of. If you keep it below ~10,000 IU daily (and at that point you'd be eating horsepills, LOL), you should be good. Hope it helps!
  12. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

My new pain Dr. did say that when your levels of vitamin D are that low (mine was also 19), she says you need to take the RX level of 50,000 IU per day for three months, some need it for a year. She did a heavy study and wrote a medical paper on Vit D and how it affects your body, so I guess she would know.
    I have my D levels chkd every three months along with my liver function test.

Very Important to every cell in your body for immune, development, replacement etc.
    Look it up you will be amazed.
  13. Svette_Palme

Svette_Palme New Member

I also take Vit D, about 1200 units per day except in summer when I basically stop it.

It could be like placebo effect, but I think it helps my mood and energy levels [to say nothing of all the other benefits it is reported to have on our health!!]
  14. zeowa

zeowa New Member

Is your doc a "normal" doc or naturopath? I need to look up some studies on these amounts and this level of deficiency! Are your liver function tests b/c of the Vit. D?

That number is blowing my mind!

I think it's more than a placebo personally! I probably became deficient long ago when I was unable to go outside at all, and then b/c of what I read about the MP, I thought it was best to have as little exposure to D as possible.
  15. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I was reading an article the other day that stated that Vit D has been misclassed, it really should have been in the hormone category.
    My first experience with Vit D was when I went to an Endocrinologist for a hormome level check, he never told me what my level was at that point but it was so alarming that they called my house all day till they got hold of me to call in the 50,000 IU per day RX for six weeks.
    This was a good call on his behalf because without enough Vit D. your body can't heal or regenerate cells and the day after I finished my last dose, I went in for back surgery.
    Funny how these things work out.
    When I get my next blood work done they will check it again and see if I am maintaining.

the liver function test is because I take percocet, ambien, tramodol and excedrin. These pain killer medicines can wreak havoc with your liver. If any of you take pain meds frequently you should have a liver function test done every three months. Once your liver goes, you think life suks now? It can get worse.

16. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

I have been taking 2-4K IU's per day for several months due to a deficiency in Vitamin D OH25.

I have even taken the Rx Vitamin D which is 50K IU's.

Neither have done very much for me over the last few months.

17. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

I have been taking 2-4K IU's per day for several months due to a deficiency in Vitamin D OH25.

I have even taken the Rx Vitamin D which is 50K IU's.

Neither have done very much for me over the last few months.

18. bunnyrabs

bunnyrabs New Member

I don't get a lot of sun either. My Vitamin D level was 21, so I am now on 2k IU's of D3 a day. I wonder if that is even close to enough based on what some of you have been prescribed.