How many that have fibro have High blood pressure too?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Just wondering how many also have high blood pressure. I never did until the last two years. I take avalide, I see where now after a testing , they say water pills do the same thing as blood pressure pills.
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

pressure, which started in 1999. I take Inderal LA 120mg and 25mg of HCTZ, which I believe is also like a water pill.

Dara
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

All adults on both sides of my family have high BP, so I think it would have happened anyway. I take 0.1 mg. of Clonidine, three times daily.
    I once took a survey on this when I was running my support group. The number of people with high blood pressure was exactly what you would expect in any random sample of Americans over age 40, about one third. What I thought was unusual, was that there were just as many who had abnormally low blood pressure as high blood pressure. I don't think there are that many with a low BP in the general population, but am not sure.
    Klutzo
  4. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

I got it when I was pregnant 30 yrs ago. Took meds for about 2 yrs after that.

Acquired it again in 96. I take Atacand, Verapamil and Microzide. I've tried prinivil (sp?), cardizam, HTCZ, and Lasix also.

Gentleness

5. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

HELLO,
    HAVE HAD FMS FOR 28 YRS, AND HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE FOR ABOUT 10 OR SO. THERE A FEW CLITCHES ON THE SCREEN W/ FMS,
    NOT ALL RELATED TO IT THOUGH. I HAPPEN TO BE 160LBS OVER WEIGHT, THAT WILL DO IT TOO. HAD LOTSA STRESS ALSO. THESE THINGS ADD UP. PAST 55 TOO... 1MAQT
  6. Grams

Grams New Member

I've had FM for 20+ years and have been on meds for high blood pressure 25+ years.

Through the years I've had many changes in the BP meds, and currently take Atacand, Norvasc, and HCTZ (water pill). It's still higher than ideal, but I do the best that I can.
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Had fibro since this past May, started on Toprol, 100 mg in am, working great, I feel a lot better, it seems to help with pain too, I noticed that right away. It has lowered my heart rate also which has steadily been creeping up along with my bp.

Jaci
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In eight days on the Suzanne Somers diet, my BP came down to normal range and is often in the low/normal range.

Love, Mikie
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

since I was 16!!
  10. Breel

Breel New Member

I was told about fibromyalgia in 1995 and actually started on blood pressure medicine that same year. I first took cardizem 120, 1 a day. Now take Inderal 60mg, 2 a day. I am also over weight and have much much swelling and fluid retention. I do not have any menstrual cycles because I had a complete hysterectomy in 1990. I take Lasix for the swelling. I start out the new year with an appt with my rheumatologist on Jan 6,2003. Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year. Love, Breel
  11. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

Sorry, can't read your post cuz it's in upper case, but for the rest of you, I have wonderfully low blood pressure, and when I'm in a flare, it really drops and is pretty much hypotension.

Marilyn :)
  12. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

Yes I have high blood pressure now.I used to have for a long time when I was working because of the stress.Then it went away for awhile.Now that I have fibro it's back.My doctor put me on a water pill called hydroclorazide.So far I think its working.Have to go back on friday to the docs for other tests results.Will find out then.

Bob
  13. clueless

clueless New Member

Yes I have high blood pressure. I know now that I had FMS for many years before it was diagnosed ( I am older and it was never heard of, if it had been I would`nt have it as severe as I do ).The high blood pressure appeared later. I used to be so tired I felt I could lie down any where and go to sleep and they could`nt find out the reason. Then Hashimotoes disease was found and finally FMS. I pray they can find something to help besides pain meds. + narcotics which is all that will help at this point.
  14. clueless

clueless New Member

Yes I have high blood pressure. I know now that I had FMS for many years before it was diagnosed ( I am older and it was never heard of, if it had been I would`nt have it as severe as I do ).The high blood pressure appeared later. I used to be so tired I felt I could lie down any where and go to sleep and they could`nt find out the reason. Then Hashimotoes disease was found and finally FMS. I pray they can find something to help besides pain meds. + narcotics which is all that will help at this point.Sorry, the brain fog is so deep tonite I can`t make much sense.
  15. Nana2Andromeda

Nana2Andromeda New Member

I have high blood pressure too....
    I am on three diffrent kinds of medication,

Norvasc 5MG two daily
    Diovain 160 MG two daily
    Altace 10 MG one daily

Do you think there is a connection between FM and High Blood Pressure?

Donna
  16. darlamk

darlamk New Member

I had been on Hydrochlorthiazide for fluid since my total hyst in '93 when I started taking hormones. I started with hypertension about 2 years ago & we have tried several different meds. This was at a time when I had taken quite a few steroids too so I often wonder if that has a correlation. Anyway I was on Diovan HCT but I am switching to Avapro this week to see if I have less fatigue (the Dr's plan anyway) He just doesn't accept that I have so much fatigue from "just the FMS or pain". Anyway I am about 50 lb over wt too so I am sure that contributes to the hypertension too.
    Take care,
    Darla
  17. tammyinwv

tammyinwv New Member

i also developed high b/p after fm.I was started on 25 mg of hctz which is a diuretic.I feel there are multiple reasons for this not directly caused by fm.Such as increased immobility causing weight gain,and fluid retention.Also stress from dealing with the illness.There is just more stress on our entire body.Another thing to think about is that your heart is a muscle,and fm effects muscles,ligaments,and tendons.I have heard of some fm sufferers developing heart murmurs after fm.Not sure if its a direct effect or coincidence,but its something to think about.
  18. rbtheidmanhabs

rbtheidmanhabs New Member

Hey fibrobutterfly!
    Yes I have high blood pressure now too.The doc put me on HTCZ and so far it's working pretty good.Yes it is a water pill.It does do the same thing as blood pressure pills.Some people it may not depending on how bad it is.Mine was 154/104 for a little while and I havn't had that since I left work 4 years ago.When I left work my blood pressure went down to a normal level.

Bob
  19. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

I too have high blood pressure, runs on my mom's side of the family. In fact my cousin 37 years young just had an anurism Saturday. I don't know if that's connected to blood pressure, but she also take meds for it. Thank you in advance for your prayers for her. Reg
    PS I also found it to be strange because sometimes my pressure will drop. "Who Knows HA".[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2002]
  20. Debs63

Debs63 New Member

I was having that problem as well viral infections...was taken of hormones and other drugs...no more problem with high blood pressue...wish I could say the same about fibro :)