how many who have CFIDS get sick when you crash?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Nov 18, 2005.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have CFIDS only, no FM - I don't have the pain of FM.

I crash quite badly when I overdo it, end up bedridden with severe exhaustion for a few days. But unforunately, I also often get sick at the same time, usually with a respiratory type ailment, so even when I get over the exhaustion of the crash, I'm often sick which will take another week or two or more to get over. And it happens over and over again. My "good" days are very few and far between.

So, I wanted to know, how many of you with CFIDS have the same thing happen to you - get sick over and over again, especially when you crash?

Someone posted an article a few weeks ago about a link between CFIDS and immmune system malfunctioning and I'm wondering if this is part of it.

Mary
  2. jane32

jane32 New Member

It is so hard to say. I did a lot last weekend and I began sneezing on monday and it now turned into a sore throat. I thought I was hexing but I think my system was down and I caught something my mom has. I have always been the one to catch every cold and it always brings my system down where I just feel so sick even though it is just an annoying sore throat. So I am not sure if CFS did this or if this is just the way I am:)To prevent it from getting worse I am taking zinc spray, Vitamin C drinks and I increased my proboost.
  3. adberens

adberens New Member

I have CFIDS. When I flare I feel sick and sometimes throw up. I have no appitite. All I want to do is curl up in bed and not be disturbed... but life goes on.

Hope this helps.

Ardy
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I do tend to get sick when I do a lot and I'm like you, Jane, in that I will feel very sick even though it's a mild sore throat, or slight congestion. It just knocks me out.

I think it's different than what you describe, Ardy -- getting sick on top of the CFIDS exhaustion, so even though I may get over the "flare" (I call it a crash), I will be still sick with a respiratory bug which seems to come on after I crash, and which will linger for days or weeks, and keeps coming back.

I'm starting to take colostrum which my doctor recommended. I tried it once several years ago, it didn't do anything but it could be I didn't take enough, or it was the wrong brand, who knows. I'm also doing zinc lozenges and extra vitamin C and resting, resting, resting. I'm also taking olive leaf extract which hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I just get sick so much, my immune system is out of whack.

Mary
  5. vickiw

vickiw Member

Hi Mary,

I call it crashing, too...it's just more descriptive of how I feel. Anyway, I don't get sick with every crash, but there are times when I'm going along relatively OK when I catch a bug. THEN I crash and burn, and can't seem to get over the bug. Once one gets hold of me, I often go from one secondary illness to another.

I read somewhere that when we PWC's get a secondary illness, we should take extra rest for a few days even after we THINK the bug has left. That's my plan of attack for the next go 'round. It's never-ending trial and error with this DD!

Take care,
    Vicki
  6. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

I have CFIDS, and yes, i "colapse" too with some kind of Flu or whatever. As the name CFIDS implies (spelling??)
    "chronic fatigue IMMUNE SYSTEM DISORDER". we are prone the any bug which flys around, when your body is weak (when you overdo it). Just now the flu season is starting and i am down for the last week.Could not move even my arms yesterday night. It seems a lot of us get worse during this time.
    I take it more slow in this time, try to rest more and a lot of vitamin C . Lets see if i can make it this year with less crashes.
    All the best karina
    Excuse the spelling mist. my motherlanguage is swiss germ.
  7. wangotango

wangotango New Member

cant sleep, bad headaches joint pain, want to be left alone, i can set my schedule by mine any more ! bill
  8. LdyM

LdyM New Member

Yes, I do become very sick with the flu over and over again for 11 years now. Happens about once a month in the winter and I completely lose that time each time.

My opinion is that it is the EBV, HHV6, CMV getting the worst of me. Or perhaps I do "catch" a real flu. Who can tell the diff?

BTW I drive up to Ventura and see your wonderful Dr. Cocaine as often as I'm able. I'm sorry that you're so far away now. It takes me over an hour each way and wipes me out, but he is on my Kaiser chiropratic plan so that helps. Thanks again the recommendation last year.

Love, **LdyM
  9. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Vicki, I think you're right in that PWC should rest for an extra couple of days after they think they're better. Once I seem to get over a bug and my energy starts to come back, I get out and do things right away and then all too often relapse over and over. It's just so hard to keep resting, and keeping my life on hold. I know we all go through this, it's maddening, but it's the way it is.

Karina, your spelling is actually quite good, at least as good as most of us. And I am finally beginning to realize, as you say, that when I crash, my body is very weak, and vulnerable to infection. I seem to keep getting the same ones over and over, I think they just stay in my body and reactivate when I get weak.

Wangotango, I guess we all crash differently, but we all do crash.

And LadyM, I'm very glad you get to see Dr. Cocaine and that you think well of him. I really miss being able to go see him.

Take care --

Mary

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Most people with CFIDS have at least one chronic infection which keeps us sick. Many of us have had these infections for years. I believe it is important to address the infections before we can heal.

Lyme, clamydia, mycoplasmas, and the Herpes-Family Viruses are often the culprits. Treatment with ABX and/or AV's can be very helpful as can transfer factors. Those with long-term infections also often have fibrin overgrowth in the bloodstream and have to be treated for that. The fibrin networks can provide places for pathogens to hide from the immune system.

I like the comprehensive approach the FFC's are taking in testing for and treating these infections. The treatment can be a bit too aggressive for some, but unless something is done, these infections will keep a person sick all the time.

If no FFC is available, one must work with one's doc or travel to the closest clinic.

Love, Mikie
  11. upnorth

upnorth New Member

I have M.E./CFS
    I don't think I get sick when I crash (although it's hard to tell b/c a crash feels like the flu anyway for me)
    BUT...
    Like a few others mentioned, esp. in the winter when I catch a bug (usually a cold) it can put me into a crash. It's weird b/c sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. THis past summer I had a 4 day throat infection that crashed me for 2 months.

Right now I'm in remission at around 7 out of 10 (happens every fall) Even though I just found out I have a c. Difficile intestinal bug, my M.E./Cfs has remained in remission? THANK GOODNESS - but I don't know why?

upnorth
  12. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mikie - thanks for your comments. I have been tested for Lyme, it was negative. I did try doxycycline treatment for a few months a few years ago thinking, I might have a mycoplasma infection, and had no reaction at all, I didn't herx (and I herx on almost everything I try it seems). My doctor did test my blood for hypercoagulation, it was negative so I don't think I have the fibrin problem. Having said all that, I may be fighting a chronic virus or something else as you suggest. My immune system is definitely weak so am going to try the colostrum for at least a few months. I tried it a few years ago with no reaction either but my doctor says it's the best thing I can try right now. I may look into an FFC center after the first of the year -- I hate the thought of spending more money, my savings are disappearing, but c'est la vie --

Stormyskye - thanks for the suggestion to rotate the olive leaf extract with other antivirals, a very good idea. I've never tried bromelain so may give that a shot.

When I was able to go see my chiropractor who did the muscles testing, I often tested positive for strep or staph infections. I have taken antibiotics on numerous occasions and can't keep taking them. I have had a lot of stress lately -- my divorce was final last week after 24 years of marriage, among other things.

Thanks again --

Mary