How many with CFS first got sick in the mid to late 80s?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, Sep 8, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

My illness started started around 1987. Two of my former teachers had to quit teaching because of CFS in 1986.

I've also started reading OSLER'S WEB, Hilary Johnson's book about the history and politics of CFS. There were certainly illnesses very much like CFS before the 1980s, but it's strange how so many people "came down" with CFS in the mid 80s, not only in Incline Village in Nevada, but in LA, San Francisco, North Carolina, New York, Florida, and in other parts of the world.

I don't have any conspiracy theories about the outbreak of CFS in the mid-80s, but I do wonder why this is.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  2. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Progress and all the man made chemicals have a lot to do with it. It didn't happen overnite. Starting in the late 60s and into the 70s was when "scientists" began discovering chemicals and chemical compounds. They found it was a lot cheaper to make cosmetics, household cleaners, and other stuff using hazardous toxins. The bottom line was money. You're going to see a lot more new illnesses in the near future because of this. Any time some companies want to get rid of some chemicals, they put it in things we buy and eat so they don't have to pay for it to be correctly disposed of.
  3. spacee

spacee Member

was my year. There were three of us who "got it" at the same time. One recovered, one could work but still ran a fever and two of us....disabled.

But, the odd thing is that two of us had moved away from the other two. I moved to a different city and the other moved to a different state.

I still think that something "came through" but don't know what. We are all from Florida.

Spacee
  4. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I was teaching in the mid 80s when my CFS started with a flu like illness.
  5. littleleafhopper

littleleafhopper New Member

I can trace my symptoms back to the late 70's. I wish that I couldn't! It's sure a tough DD!

Yours, Lil
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

If I had not gone on my computer and investigated, I would have thought my illness was the flu or some other virus. It was caused by the air freshener stick in my bedroom.
  7. IndianPrincess

IndianPrincess New Member

That's the year I moved from Ohio to Niles, Michigan.

Got severe bronchitis twice in less than 6 months. I'd never had bronchitis before.

Was working 12-hour shifts with every two days off. Worked great for me since I was a high energy person - prior.

Could barely stand to strip film (lithographer with a journeyman's card), lots of confusion and falling asleep at work.

Lasted for about 9 months and then it subsided. Had an understanding employer who helped me through this so I was fortunate.

Came back years later with a vengence.

I believe it was exposure to mildew 'cause Michigan is a very humid state even in winter. Could smell it everywhere!

Cindy
  8. blueseat23

blueseat23 New Member

April 1989
    started with a sore throat and never got truly better
  9. forfink

forfink New Member

Feb. 1986

Started feeling complete exhaustion. Went to the doctor and asked to run a mono test because I was sure that was it! Everything was fine....then the pain all over hit me, here it is 20 years later. Northbrook, Illinois 1986(sub of Chicago), now live in Dallas.
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

back in 1970-71, I was ill for a year with mono and meningitis; my energy was the never the same again... all blood tests were always 'normal', after which I was always referred to psychiatrists. I never went because I didn't feel depressed, just not enough energy.

Interestingly I also did get a tick bite in the Ozarks right after recovering.

However I also do have endometriosis, which has been linked to dioxin; the majority of women with endo also have some sort of other 'autoimmune' disease(s), most commonly CFIDS/FM, so I think there's a broader context here to look at.

best,
    Victoria
  11. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I refer to all of these illnesses as chronic poisoning.
  12. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Wow!!! SF Bay area resident who had spent time in Incline Village visiting friends in 80's.

Now you are scaring me. I'm already afraid of my government. LSD dispersal in SF during 60's, Tuskegee Insti test in the 50's, Florida womens prison questionalble birth control testing and last but not least the Elders Small Pox blanket stories carried down from gereration to generation in our community.

Dang it, now I'm going to be up all night thinking about this one!! LOL!!! *smile*
  13. makezmuzic

makezmuzic New Member

Mine started in the 80's with multiple first-time boughts with "bronchitis". Was first DXed with epstein barr. Had mono as a teen. Was also exposed to asbestos as a young adult. And every possible drug in the world as a teen during "Haight Ashbury" & Berkeley hayday.
  14. victoria

victoria New Member

FORFINK - Hmmm, could be a link between us geographically, I grew up in Nbk during 50s-60s, then lived in Chicago until 1977 but continued to visit family a lot thru the 80s... but then, the whole area is polluted, as is the Midwest and other industrial areas of the country and then some... whereever there's been big industry...

WOOFMOM... YEP the poisoning doesn't help... it is mind-boggling when you read about all the xeno-estrogens in the environment, plus the fact that there are over 100 known chemicals in our body today that were not there 100 years ago. Sad! I would think that it would be obvious that most if not all of these would somehow affect our immune systems at the very least.

15. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I lived in the Sierra from '73 til '82 not far from Incline Village. Why is it that somehow my memory goes
    back to the idea that the Tahoe illness ("yuppy flu")
    had a connection to Lyme. Do you have any info. that
    might clearify or discount that notion of mine??

Thanks Ken!
    MRDAD

[This Message was Edited on 09/08/2006]
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Is just about right on target.

I ran out of Mr Clean for my floors yesterday and just stood there kind of clueless wondering what in the world we used to use before they convinced us that we need chemicals to get our floors clean...duh!!!

My illness really dates back to 1979 when I had Toxic Shock Syndrome (one of the first in the country to survive it) and I was never well after that. Progressively worse ever since.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  17. jeduanboneis

jeduanboneis New Member

when it first began, but I was diagnosed in 1983 to the best of my knowledge.

Didn't have health insurance so I opted to go the alternative way and was told that I had mono with hepatitis, CMV and coxsackie. I think that there was more but I would have to go back and look it up.

I do believe that I had mono 3 times and then a serious viral infection, which I could say might have been an HHV-6 event after reading the book "The Virus Within". When I was little I remember getting very, very sick from the polio shot.

All this is cumulative and has resulted in this "Syndrome".

The question about the outbreak in various states takes some research and I don't think that they tell us everything so it is open to speculation.

Jeanne
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Trishicks and all,

Yes, that was what I was diagnosed with sometime in the 1980's. I don't remember when. I just know that I was finally dxed about 5 months ago with FM/CMFS. Don't you think it was about time??

I know stress has alot to do with it. I was doing home childcare, had problems with a daughter and a very FIL with Alzheimers and have 5 children.

I just got a bug and then never got rid of it or felt progressively worse with other weird symptoms. Of course my doc really didn't have a clue edxcept for this after a blood test. In those days they new next to nothing as far as I was concerned..

Sorry gotta run.

Warm hugs,

Granniluvsu (Marilyn)
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The story of the Incline Village/Tahoe outbreak in the mid 80s is fascinating. OSLER'S WEB recounts this story in great detail, and it's a much more readable book than I thought it was going to be.

There have definitely been quite a few other outbreaks of illnesses very similar to CFS, dating back to the Victorian era (read Dorothy Wall's book, ENCOUNTERS WITH THE INVISIBLE), so I'm not convinced CFS is something totally new.

But I do think it's far more common now, and I think the increase of toxins in the environment have greatly contributed to more devastating, chronic illness.

Kholmes
    [This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  20. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I haven't heard about any connections between Lyme Disease and the Incline Village outbreak, but I'll keep reading!

Kholmes