How many with Fibro also have Diabetes?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjcookie, Aug 10, 2008.

1. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Diabetes runs in my family but I managed to avoid it until about three years ago. After my accident, I gained a substantial amount of weight and was very dormant. They also pumped me full of steroids.

Just wondering if there were a lot of us out there with the same problem. It seems that many of you mention it in your posts.

I've lost quite a bit of weight and exercise now but I haven't lost enough to get it fully under control. I'd like to lessen my meds sometime.
  2. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I have both. Also have 0ther autoimmune problems-osteoarthritis, thyroid problems, along with fibro.
  3. lurkernomore

lurkernomore New Member

Type 2 Diabetes here as well. Along with Sjogren's Osteoarthritis and, until I got the vaccine, recurring shingles. I truly wish the research would catch up and realize that Fibro truly is an autoimmune problem and once you have one, more will very likely come along.

Note that type 2 Diabetes is not autoimmune. But so may times I think we may be genetically predestined to develop Type 2 and a few of the Fibro treatments? I think they could well be what exacerbates the development. JMHO, for what it's worth.
  4. Willow97

Willow97 New Member

Hi Cjcookie, I checked out your bio and I love your little dog, I had one just like yours for 15 years she was the cutest, sweetest thing, her name was Squeaker! I still miss her!

I have been dodging the diabetes thing forever, it surrounds me in my famiy, I'm concerned because I too am having trouble with the weight issue, I saw first hand what damage diabetes can do to the body. I certainly don't need that on top of everything else. I'm in the process of seeing whether I have MS. I really hope not!!! Excuse me, I am just having one of those days. Sorry to be a downer!!!

Anyway, Have a great day....Heather :)

5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

to hear that yours was alive for 15 years. Mine is only three now, but I get scared weekly about losing him or his little sister. Your collies are adorable.

I also have arthritis. My grandmother on my Dad's side was bedridden and died in the 1960s. She suffered from arthritis, diabetes, and depression. Sounds very familiar. I didn't even know about the depression part until recently. If she was around now, she would have gotten much better medical care.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2008]
  6. pjj

pjj New Member

Hi, I too have Type 2, Fibro, HBP, low Thyroid, Mvp. The Diabetes runs in my fathers family ( my grandmother )and when I was in my 20's was told I was pre-diabetic but there wasn't all the info and counselors as now. I didn't feel bad or have a lot of symptoms then but in my 60's, got the diagnosis again and was put on Avandia. Now, I am controlling it thru diet, exercise and weight loss. I try to walk on my treadmill daily but this last few mos have not been so regular and have gained abt 10 lbs back. Proves the exercise is important.
  7. lrning2cope

lrning2cope New Member

Yes , I have type II , so they think . Lately , my sugars have been going up and down and all over ,and they are debating whether I have type I.

I also have fibro , of course , myofascial pain disease , asthma , IBS , arthritis in neck , knees , shoulders , hips , polycystic ovarian syndrome , adrenal problems , rotator cuff syndrome , sleep apnea , circadian rythm disorder ( my sleep clock is all messed up ) , HBP ,cerebellar ataxia and depression ( I wonder why ?)

For the diabetes , I take glucophage 500 mg 6x a day , Novalin , Lantus and Symlin - 8 shots a day total .

But the government says that I don't have any disabilities . Funny (not)

PS I also have a nasty attitude that I am working on ; )
  8. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I also have both fms and diabetes in fact I got them about the same time, when my son was born. Wow, never realized that before now, how interresting! I do wonder if there is some kind of somethong that makes a person get both?

9. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

I have both I was diagnosed at the same time with both of them. Although I think I had fibro a lot longer than that. I have exercise induced asthma, PCOS, and allergy problems as well. I mangae with all of them and am getting used to it.