How many with high sed rates?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseylisa, Jan 17, 2006.

1. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

After being diagnosed with fibromyalgia which of course shows nothing on a blood test, I had some blood work show up with high sed rates (which shows inflamation) Dr. said I have osteoarthritis also. The things is I have no swelling around the joints or any nodules that people get with arthritis... Anyone else?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

At one point, it was down to 1! That is indicitive, but not definitive, of hypercoagulation. After my Heparin injections, it rose to a 5.

Love, Mikie
  3. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Roseylisa:

Not sure why your sed rate was high, but mine is also (as high as 65). I have FMS/RA and some spine issues. My rheumatologist (new one) is great. When I first went to him in December, he asked me about swelling/inflammation in the normal RA sites. I did not seem to have much swelling, just pain and loss of range of motion. I told him that I was taking more than the max dose of advil each day (I was sometimes taking 4000mg per day) and he said that I was controlling the inflammation. I had to have a more detailed blood test (cannot remember the name) but it did show a high level of inflammation. He also had me come to his office BEFORE I took my morning advil. It was tough on me, and even he was shocked at the difference...but he gave me a shot of prednisone (which works wonders for me) and I was feeling much better within 12 hours.

He wanted to start me on Methotrexate, but my liver function tests were not good enough to do that...so the other choice was ENBREL. I have been on that med since the week before Christmas. I cannot tell you how much better I am doing.

I can actually walk for 1 hour now, I am sleeping better, I am feeling less pain, and taking less advil (my PCP made me take the max dose of advil and the max daily dose of extended release tylenol). My liver function tests have not really improved, and my PCP tells me that I have most certainly "fried" my kidneys. Gee, I have been honest with her about the amount of advil I have been taking for the past 5+ years (last time I took vicodin, prednisone, etc)...and she just thought it would not be an issue for long. My liver function tests always came back okay...so she was not concerned...well guess what, not any more. Thank goodness I do not drink, or I might be looking for a liver transplant.

Ingrid
  4. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Mine has been high for 15 years. It averages around 40 but has been high as 130. I have never been diagnosed with any other auto-immune disease. Some doctors I`ve been to say Fm does`t cause inflamation, others say it does. I believe it does.

Sandy
  5. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I too have had off and on elevated sedimentation rate since the very beginning. When I first got sick, it was up to 65, and whenever I flare, it goes up. Recently, it was as high as 61 again. Not fun. Horrible pain and fatigue. I just wish someone would figure all this out.

GBHope