How many would be interested in a book club? Suggestions welcome.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes, May 3, 2006.

1. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I had an idea the other night. I'm thinking of starting a CFS/Fibro book club. We wouldn't necessarily read books about CFS or Fibro, but all of us in the club would read the same book, maybe once a month, and we would post messages with thoughts/questions/ reactions about it. Live Chat makes me a bit tired, so just regular posts would work as well.

I would suggest we read books that are interesting, thought-provoking, not overly long or mentally taxing (no Tolstoy or Dostoevsky!), maybe uplifting, and books that we could all obtain at our local libraries, through interlibrary loan, through Amazon's web site, or at your local Mom and Pop bookstore. I would say that fiction, non-fiction, inspirational, mystery, adventure, etc... are all fair game. Pop fiction would be welcome. I'm a big David Baldacci and Dan Brown fan.

Here are some books I'm planning to read in the next few months, that friends have recommended to me:

Saving Fish From Drowning, by Amy Tan (her latest, since recovering from Lyme disease; she's an incredible writer and storyteller)

Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson (this is becoming an adolescent fiction classic, and has been adapted into a film)

Facing the Lion: Memoirs of a Young Girl in Nazi Europe, by Simone Arnold Liebster (recommended by ShannonSparkles!)

The Last River: The Tragic Race for Shangri-La, by Todd Balf (the story of the exploration of the Tsangpo River, in the world's deepest canyon, in Tibet)

When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times, by Pema Chodron (Chodron is supposed to be extremely good)

The Amazon and Barnes and Nobles websites give good thumbnail reviews of any book you're interested in.

I'd love to hear who might be interested in the book club.

Also, please post suggestions for books that YOU think would be worthwhile for the club to read.

Thanks.

Kholmes

2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Can your library do interlibrary loan?
    I'm lucky to have a good library system here in Albuquerque. I rarely buy books.
    Does your library have a website, and can you reserve books online?
    By the way, what part of Wisconsin do you live in?
    Kholmes
  3. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I like the idea of humorous or uplifting books. I am also willing to read books about cfs/fm.

Your list looks good, and I could think of a few if anyone else is interested.

People that beat the odds and live to their fullest are a theme that is good. I still remember books I read as a kid that made me aware that not all lives were like mine. I credit books (and my family) for teaching me compassion for others.

I like biographies of not famous people, but those who lived in unusual places, circumstances, etc.

I was a librarian for years and was lucky enough to have access to very new and very old books.

Jana
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Sounds like a great idea! I would love to do it. I love Amy Tan's writing. and Pema Chodron have read a little bit - would like to read more.

By the way, have you read the latest Hillerman mystery? Don't give me any hints, in case you have.:) I have read his books 3 or 4 times, and became fascinated by Navajo culture.

Sometime I would love to hear your stories of teaching there!

I'll make a list of some favorite books and be back.

Wonderful idea.
  5. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It's about the only thing I have energy for, and I pray that fibrofog doesn't take the enjoyment away in the future.

I read alot of fantasy (Raymond Feist, David Eddings), Christian thrillers (Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker), and humor (Lilian Jackson Braun is my favorite).

Maybe we could take turns picking the book of the month.

Great idea! You're really good at making us stretch our minds and keep them active. I, for one, appreciate that.

God Bless.

PS: Sometime I would like to hear your take on Christian apologetics. Maybe another thread so others don't have to read if they don't want to.
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Marley & Me. No, it's not about an illness but it is a heartwarming, loving, hanging-in-there book. I got it at the library and loved it so much that I bought my own copy to lend.

Great idea!

Marta
  7. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I thought taking turns choosing books was a very good idea!

Jana
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

The idea of taking turns choosing books is a great one.

Windblade: I have read quite a few Hillerman novels, but not the latest one. About half of my Navajo students loved Hillerman, while the other half didn't like the fact that he was revealing sacred Navajo belief in his novels (the hero twins, blessingway, and other cultural stories). I really like quite a few of Hillerman's books, though, and I think he is very respectful of Navajo culture. The Navajo Nation officially honored him as a "friend of the Navajo Nation."

Kholmes
  9. leubie

leubie New Member

What a SUPER IDEA!!!!!!--------I would LOVE to be involved w/ this--------------reading is one of my favorite passtimes---------i pray i will be able to continue this-------if i dont go crazy from this fibro and all its tag alongs first!!!!!!!!!!!!Please keep me up on this---------YALL ALL HAVE THE BEST IDEAS-----THANK-YOU!!!!!LOVE TO ALL--------LAURA
  10. wuki1

wuki1 New Member

I love reading and it's always great to hear about new books or to try different authors as I've read everything by my favorites.

I just finished a book called "The Kite Runner" which made me very thankful for all the blessings I have (despite fibro and MS). Count me in!

Kim
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the new Amy Tan.

I like Lillian Jackson Braun too for a light fun read.

I like Alice Hoffman, Annie Proulx, Paul Scott, Evelyn Waugh, Anne Tyler, Anita Brookner, Dan Brown, Alison Laurie, Margaret Atwood, Margaret Drabble, Muriel Spark, and I always forget the author of The Ladies Number One Detective Agency-the new book Blue Shoes comes out this month. Also some obscure older British authors, that most USA people never heard of, like Peter Tinniswood-very funny and Ben Elton.

I also read a lot of non fiction, Paul Tillich sort of thing. I devour books on Autism, Temple Grandins newest is very good. I also enjoy books on Decorating and Gardening, wildlife, Oh I love Bill Bryson Books-Have you read his "A Short History of Nearly Everything" it is very good.

I also like political reading, I guess I like pretty much everything except light romance. I even like a few Stephen Kings when I am in the mood. not all but some.

Well you should start off by running a new thread with This month's Book Choice is (as a post) then we can all read it and review and comment. Sounds great. It keeps us away from the Merck Manual too(LOL)

Love Anne C
  12. gymmbabe

gymmbabe New Member

YES...what a great idea!! sign me up!

Dawn
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Too bad you don't live in Madison! :)
    Ever been to Bariboo?

How about we keep you posted on whatever book we're reading, and then you look up the book on Amazon?
    They usually have professional and customer reviews, which include plot summaries and commentary. So you can get an idea about what we're reading without actually reading the book itself. If you Google the titles too, chances are you'll find a fair amount of information about the books.
    What about books on tape also? Do they rent them in your town?
    Kholmes

14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

MY nap. (What famous American author does that sugggest?)

Before I lay down for my nap I posted something here. I wonder where it went. Oh, Little Post. Where are you?

Well, what a kawinkeedyink. I am curretnly reading Split Second by David Baldacci. Also the autobiography of Maureen O'Hara.

Some of my favorite writers are James Burke, P. G. Wodehouse, Ring Lardner and Dave Barry. (I read the last-mentioned to improve my mind.)

The answer to the above literary trivia question:

Washington Irving.

15. kholmes

kholmes New Member

And how is SPLIT SECOND?
    I really liked Baldacci's THE WINNER.
    Kholmes
  16. AquariusGirl

AquariusGirl New Member

Oprah would be so proud of us--CFS/Fibro book club:)

I'm up for anything--just post the details of what
    book and when to start.

Kelli
  17. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

I am glad to see him mentioned. I have all his books and have had the pleasure of meeting him twice.

Have any of you read Sandra Dallas's books? The Persian Pickle Club is my favorite. Her books are about women's friendships.

Jana
  18. mistyd96

mistyd96 New Member

I love to read, and would love to join the rest of you! I love mystery/suspense and I also read alot of historical books. I have been reading Dan Brown, James Patterson lately....go through my different moods with different authors, but I am always up for reading anything.

My favorite thing to do after a really bad day is to run a hot epsom salt bath, grab a good book and dissapear into the tub for awhile. Then just crwal into bed!

Misty
  19. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Sounds exciting! I'd like to check out something new if my ol' brain can take it.

For a short, laugh out loud, browse at your leisure book, I would suggest a copy of "Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs" by Dave Barry. Yeah, it's easy to make fun of those old song lyrics - funny too! Should jog our memories.

Look forward to hearing what the first pick of the month will be. I'd like to nominate Kholmes to choose the first one, since he thought of it - though I don't know if we can trust an English teacher to go easy on us. lolol Remember all those Great Tomes of Weighty Social Importance we all floundered through in high school? Nah, us CFS folks deserve a literary margharita now and then. Let's have one together!
    ((oohh, the anticipation!)) Shannon
  20. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well what book will it be for May? Do post a new thread with a book title, maybe one we know is available of books on tape too.

Love Anne C