How much B12 injections (mg and frequency) is recommended?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cc0526, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

I finally got some B-12 for injection. My doctor wished she had thought of it before. Since my gastric bypass, I can't absorb B vitamins because that part of my stomach is gone. Always done the sublingal though. Never did have my b-12 level tested.

Anyway got 1cc or 1000mg last week at her office and I told her that people were taking it more often that the recommended once a month. I had the article from Dr. Cheney with me but he just says "large" doses and so she prescribed it every 2-3 weeks. Can someone tell me how often the injections are recommended? Any links with this info would help too. My doctor is really good at reading articles I bring her. I do have a vial with 30 cc's or 30 doses so I could take it more often until I see her again.

Thanks,
    Patty
  2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Do a search under B12. There's a ton of info on the board already.

FYI, there seems to be some difference of opinion on which form of B12 is best... cyancobalamin.. hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin..

I've heard that hydroxocobalamin is good for detoxing the brain....

I tried cyancobalamin for a couple of months..didn't notice much difference. Now trying hydroxocobalamin...1 ml a day...

It helps a tiny bit.. but I read somewhere that European studies suggest you need as much as 10,000 mcg (think it was mcg ....) and I can believe it from my experience.

Good thing is .. it's completely non-toxic.. you can't take too much of it...

Cheers
    Delia
  3. cc0526

cc0526 New Member

I found lots of information, but after reading this reply I realize that I really need to be more educated on this. I am getting the cyanocobalam. What are the other kinds and doses for those? What are the differences? Have to have the specifics if I want my doc to help.

Thanks,
    Patty
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

She is going to take 1cc of B12 every 5 days for a few months. She also has low iron.

She gets a colonoscopy done end of July.

You can't OD on B12.

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

1 cc. twice a week. I think it helps...he takes cyanocobalam.