How much do Fatigue and Insomnia play apart in your Lyme disease?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by HppeandMe, Sep 28, 2006.

1. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi Friends,

It has been such a long time since I have posted. I have not been doing well. The worst symptoms I have is insomnia and bone crushing fatigue. I was wondering if others have this same problem or where on your chart you would put this? These are definately my top 2. If I don't sleep everything else falls right out of whack!

Missed You Guys!
    Hope
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I know my son would say they are major along with cognitive problems...

Everytime he takes abx he gets hyperinsomnia in particular -

AND the weird thing is everytime he takes Flagyl in particular everything worsens.

hope this helps... seems like it can take a really long time to see results... my son's pulse and BP has normalized, he has gained weight, but the cognitive/brain symptoms still persist.

Vic.
  3. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Thanks Victoria! Bumping for more responses as well :)
  4. jarjar

jarjar New Member

My insomnia is much better but I went thru a phase where it was really bad at one point. Fatigue is a major symptom also.

If you look at the sypmtom list of chronic lyme and CFS or FM they are identical.......sad to see so many people go around for years with cfs or FM and being misdiagnosed like I use to be.

The marshall protocol is the only thing that helps my fatigue. I take way fewer naps. Victoria is on the MP also best of my knowledge.

J
  5. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Yes, insomnia and fatigue are big ones. It's really important to get the insomnia taken care of, if you can. Your body does it's healing during the deep sleep phase.

What have you tried so far? I'm nervous about trying prescription meds, but may have to go there at some point.

For awhile I used Peaceful Nights, from this site. It worked for a number of months, then stopped working for me.

My acupuncturist had me try Schizandra Dreams, a Chinese herbal combo, and, she did acupuncture for sleep. That really helped a lot. Unfortunately, I no longer have insurance coverage for that.

Moving on...just trying Quietude by Boiron. It's homeopathic, and is helping.

What about melatonin?

If you can get the sleep improved, that may help with the fatigue. For me, fighting off all these infections, and getting appropriate thyroid medication is helping with the fatigue. Next, I'm going to try cortisol from compounding pharmacy, for adrenals. My Dr. also suggest that I try testosterone for the fatigue.

Hope something in here helps you.

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  6. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

Hi there-

It's been a long time. I am on enough sleep medication to put out a 500-600pound bear. I am on Xyrem 9 1/2 ml's, 4 Trazadones, 2 Lyrica's (also given for pain), and two klonopins. Would you believe that I still wake up only after 5-6 hours max of sleep. When I am on my period or even the week prior I am lucky to get 4 hours.

I don't know what to do! If you have only taken mild supplements than you would probably do very well on a low dose of Trazadone. Maybe even half of a one or a small dosage of Xyrem. Once my insomnia took off nothing could get me down.

How does the chinese accupuncture help? Do you fall asleep in their office? Can you fall asleep at home on your own?

I would do anything to get off of most of my medications! It's stinks that they don't even work well for me!
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

trazadone . However, there is NOTHING ON EARTH that really helps with fatigue and the eternal flu feeling .
    It is hell period.
  8. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

aw, sweet sleep! Can't tell you when the last time I had what would be considered a good night's sleep. If I do sleep soundly for a few hours, I have dreams. I'm usually getting up in the middle of the night in search of something to read to try to make me sleepy.

I take Librium for sleep - it helps a little - without it I was averaging about 2 hrs. a night. I was useless.

The fatigue that goes along with it is horrid. I spend my workday watching the clock for when I can get out and go home - and if I try to nap at home, I lay there wide awake too!