How much do you detox?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

There's a lot of talk about detoxing on the board, but I've never been able to figure out how much of a problem it is for people with various sorts of problems.

If you want, please answer the following questions.

Is detox a major issue, a minor issue, or not an issue for you?

Has this varied throughout your illness?

What kind of health problems do you have (CFS, FM, combination, others)?

To your knowledge, have you had more than your fair share of exposure to whatever kinds of toxins in your life?

Thanks much!
  2. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I haven't really done any yet, and I think that this is going to be a major issue for me. Mercury is my enemy and it lives in me since I got dental amalgams as a young teenager. I've had recurring problems with my gums, and even landed in the hospital for at least a week when I was about 14. Have only just discovered that this is what caused my health to deteriorate to the point of CFS. Recently, I have been having shortness of breath and some palpitations as well.

I have definitely had more than my share of exposure to the 2nd most toxic substance on the face of the earth, the first being plutonium, I believe. All I can say is thank God for this board, and all the information that people are willing to share. I would be lost without it. Now, if I didn't have brain fog and feel so sick all the time, research would be a lot easier. Marie
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I'm constantly trying to detox. Exposures: trichloroethylene, coal, aspartame poisoning, kerosene, formaldehyde, etc. And I have mercury in my mouth.
  4. ETN

ETN New Member

Hey Lisa

well I don't know if you remember my protocol that I am on but it is rigorous.

Detox is a MAJOR issue with me right now.
    No not varied as I know what meds create a huge detox for me.
    CFS, FM, Epstein Barr, Cytomeglovirus, Chlamydia Pneumonaie (Cpn), numerous other things LOL

I just saw my fibro doc and I am so bad he wants me to stop taking the INH. I am supposed to be at a full tablet but I can't even take 1/4 of a tab. I can't function when I am on it and am in bed for days on end.
    So we did a "test" to see if I could get some sleep since I have tried everything. He wanted me to stop the INH and start taking a dopamine drug (Mirapex) and Vitamin C 1000mg right before bed. I can't believe it but I slept for 2 nights in a row. My pain levels are remarkable down.

I am not sure what I was exposed to as a child?

Also they are finding that Vitamin D is playing a huge roll in all of this. So I am adding 2400 iu in about 4 days.

5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

The directions say to use it only once per season. It also gives instructions to make it work even better. You drink lemon water every morning among other things.
  6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i try to use glutathione in one form or another every day. I have to tread carefully with the stuff that goes straight to the liver.. ie the oral lipoceutical or the undenatured whey.

I can overdo it with these 2 products, whereas the IVs or the nebulised glut I can take a ton of.

As you may know, some CFS researchers suspect our glutathione production is all screwed up. Glut is the body's major antioxidant.

I recently tested high for some metals on a 24 hr urine collection. Plan to do a hair test and mebbe a challenge. Apparently Andy Hall Cutler does not recommend a challenge test .... so jury is still out on that one.

Ortho/alternative doc recently recommended a milder chelating agent than either DMPS or DMSA.. it's called Metal Magnet.

Seems to help, although i have concerns about it's safety, but I could say that about a lot of supplements.

IMHO, all long-time CFSers probably have a high toxic burden becuase of the impaired glutathione.

Delia
  7. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

For me this is majorly important, but the last time I tried (as you may remember hehehe) was a major issue!
    I have FM and the little things that go with it, stifness, unrefreshing sleep, painful muscles, fatigue, headaches, IBS etc.

I did an intensive detox in oct 2005 and I think I have never felt better than that! The lady who gave me the program said it was based on Dr. Bernard Jensen's work. I fasted and had colonics everyday, according to this you can not detox if you keep putting things in your body, which makes sense to me. So I do not think that you can detox properly while you keep eating, because your body will never empty itself completely (if that makes sense).

I felt so amazing after I did this, my pain drastically decreased, my energy increased and even all my cellulite disappeared! Even while fasting I didn't feel bad, I was sure I was going to feel miserable, tired, achy and so on but I didn't.
    I really have to mentally prepare myself to do this again.

I was definitly exposed to toxins as a child, I remember playing with mercury in my hands in science class for one thing. Besides that, I think we poison our bodies every single day with the food we eat, the air we breathe, and the stress we go through.

Phoebe
  8. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I have only had fibro for two years. What is herxing?
  9. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I lost the bottle in my hotel room. I have to get another bottle and start all over again. Luckily, my niece has a bottle of she got in her kit (she won't use it) and I don't have to pay for this one.
  10. desertlass

desertlass New Member

Just thought I'd try a funny title. What I meant by it is that I feel like I have never really done it properly, although I have tried many times. I FINALLY have found a doctor who is willing to test me for metals, food allergies, etc., and I'll be interested to see what the results will be, and what he will recommend. For the first time, I won't be trying this on my own.

I have tried to detox before, but I get so sick that I can barely function, and I've got two kids who are growing up too fast. So, detoxing is a "goal" for me, right now. I am trying to set things up here at home so that if I end up requiring a home health aide for a while, then so be it.

I have cfs and fibro. I think the fibro came first and was mild for most of my life until various "events" made it worse. I think I was exposed to pesticides as an infant because we lived in a rural Ohio town. I was brought home from a hospital to a room that faced a large stretch of fields and being summertime, I'm sure the window was constantly open. No air-conditioning in those old houses in the 'sixties, and probably no enforced regulation of chemical pest and weed killers during that time either.

One thing that I was wondering about those of you who are doing the detoxing and/or taking anti-virals, do you have to do any kind of supplementation with glutathionine, or have had any kind of test for that particular deficiency? I had read Dr. Cheney's treatment not too long ago, and he posits that this deficiency can make detoxing cause a severe reaction, and also can create a "pro-viral" state. Since that is new to me, and since detoxing seems to make life almost unlivable for me, I have been wondering if that is the missing piece for me to finally be able to do it up right for once. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
    Lisette

P.S. OT-- My life's dream used to be that I would write plays and novels and films, which would all have heroes and "bad guys" in them. Now my dream is to get rid of all the "bad guys" in my system. Not only do our phsycial lives become so dramatically altered, but so does the life of our minds. CFS could stand for "Changed Fantasies Syndrome" as well. But I WILL write about this some day, in the form of a play-- I'm still working out how to handle the passing of time when the main character is just lying in bed. Who would want to see that? Any suggestions? Anyone?