How much do you pay for a haircut?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwinMa, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've been going to the same hair stylist for about 10 years. I only get my hair cut every 3 months or so. She does great on my highlights, but the haircuts are so-so. To be fair, you can only do so much with my hair. Silk purse--sow's ear, you get it.

She usually charges me $35 or so for a haircut. I give a 20% tip, so that ends up being $42. That seems like a lot for a haircut, but I've been out of the loop for so long, I really can't judge. I do know Great Clips or SuperCuts charge much less. But then I'd feel like I was "cheating" on her! Is that dumb?

Anyone have any luck with the cheap places? Horror stories? Should I cheat? If I do cheat, what do I tell my stylist next time I go in to get highlights?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's been so wonderful having you do my hair all these years, but I just can't afford it anymore.
    ____________________________________________(insert reason).

I'm really going to miss you. If there's anyway finances improve, I'll be back.

Exit stage left.

3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Our whole family goes there -- gals & guys. Always a good cut, and we've been through a lot of different styles with our teens.

Regular price is $11 for adult cuts. Several times a yr. there is a coupon for $6.99.

In decades past we frequented "Beauty Schools" -- and DID have regular horror stories to tell about those experiences. GC for only a few bucks more is a no-brainer. GC hires licensed stylists, then retrains them in the company's standard techniques.

You could hang around the waiting area at a GC -- watch people go in & see if you think their cuts are an improvement. No cost for lookin.'

I can't speak to the loyalty issues from personal experience.
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I always use Great Clips and have been very satisifed with them except for the last time. Was a fellow that I tried to explain my hair and what I wanted and he told me "look, I've been in the business for over 20 years so I can see already and I know already" then he proceeded to do the worst job that I didn't realize until the next day.

Today I went back and explained I did not want that guy, he did a cut I did not like and think he didn't even do a good cut as the top was all uneven. The lady smiled and said "we understand and get that with certain men in here" so I understood she was saying he was all talk and no talent. She corrected his mistakes and did a great cut today and I'm very happy. I took her name, the days she works and I'll be back for her to cut my hair from now on.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/31/2009]
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Yvonne! Too funny Rock! I was hearing vaudeville type music as I read your post.

Thanks Snooz and TwoCat, too. I might just have to try Great Clips.

I have a few pretty bad horror stories from beauty school dropouts, too. Most involved the hate-to-admit-it perm years of the '80s. Not a pretty decade for hair.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I was humming vaudeville music while I was posting.

Actually I haven't had a professional haircut for decades. Gordon does it for free.
    And he's never had a lesson. Well, he's Chinese. You know how dextrous they are.
    Comes from all those years of using chopsticks.

He gets a perm every couple months. Over the years he's gone to various beauty
    schools. He's happy with the results.

There was an article on the net last year. Some beauty salon in New York charges
    $600 for a hair cut. Well, you know who their customers are. The filthy-rich but
    brain dead. Probably the same people who are always showing up in the tabloids.
    Britney this and Paris that.

I guess the most I ever paid for a haircut was ten bucks back in the 70s. Guess that's
    why I have so much money in the bank now. (Smiling out loud.)

Here's a clue that shows up now and then in the crosswords: What the barber says.
    The answer, of course, is "Next!"

7. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There's a book out now about breaking up with people - hair stylists etc.
    What Rock said was perfect.

I go to Aveda, so you don't even want to know what I pay for cut and color. I'm going to have to switch because finances are tight. I really don't know where I'm going to go. I try to go as long in between as I can stand. My stylist says she's seeing her clients less frequently because of the economy - those that used to come every 8 weeks are coming every 10-12.
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Just tell her that your 'cousin' is now cutting your hair for free. And then just sweetly say, "She can cut pretty well, but she just can't do highlights the way you can!!" With the economy the way it is, the hair stylist has to understand that everyone is cutting corners, and if you compliment her in the process, she shouldn't get upset that she is no longer cutting your hair.

9. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

I don't have a lot of good things to say about GC. My boyfriend has had so many bad haircuts. He did talk to the store manager a few times and she would have him come in and fix the bad cut.

My son was also going to GC and I finally got him in with another stylist where I get my hair cut. He just loves how she cuts his hair and now he only sees her.

Yes, seeing a regular hairdresser does cost some extra money but well worth it IMHO. I once went to CC to save some money and she butchered my hair. I cried for days and then I went back to my hairdresser and told her about my financial situation.

She now gives me discounted haircuts and colors. And I get any shampoo, conditioner, etc. at cost. I have been with her since beauty school and I will never stray again.

Also, it took a long time for my hair to grow out from the bad hairstylist. To me it just isn't worth it.
  10. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I have been going to the same lady for years. She only charges me $45.00, which includes haircut, and foil highlights. I go about every 3 months.

I remember once she was out of town for awhile and i called around to get prices and most of them were well over $100. I couldn't believe it. I just hope she never goes out of business. LOL
  11. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My hair is driving me nuts. My bangs are in my eyes and I'm about to go for the scissors. I know I should stop, but I can't!

I like the cousin idea, but this woman knows I don't have any family in town.

After what Monica said, I'm scared to go to GC, but I'm going to have to do something tomorrow. Maybe just a tiny trim on my own tonight...
  12. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

$ 20.00 for a haircut. This gal is awesome--she used to work at a salon, but due to health reasons had to leave that job, but she still cuts a few of her favorite clients hair {lucky for me} and she does the haircut in her home or my house.

I try to get it cut every 6 weeks, but like everyone else it is has been longer in between and I have to take the scissors to my bangs--getting better at that.

***TwinMa---talk to your hairdresser and see if she can work out a cheaper arrangment for you---if she leases a spot in a salon she may not be as flexible but it is worth asking.***
  13. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Years ago, my hubby, being a nice guy, allowed his best friend's sister, a beauty school student, to practice cutting hair on his head. The only reason why he did it was because his friend's mother was a very experienced hairdresser, and she would straighten out the 'mess' right after the sister left. Well, one day, they were waiting for the sister to leave befor his mom could straighten out hubby's latest 'haircut.' As they waited for her to leave, they sat around the kitchen table chatting. As they waited, they're new little dog excitedly ran around under the table, and proceeded to cr** all over hubby's foot!! We all had a good laugh over this, but hubby decided to return to a regular salon from that point on!