How much do you sleep ??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by susabar, Nov 23, 2002.

1. susabar

susabar New Member

I slept 13 hours last night, and have felt almost normal all day, I am new to this whole thing... I can't afford to sleep 13 hours every night, so what do you suggest???
    Anyone ???

Thanks Sue
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

I slept 13 hours last night, and have felt almost normal all day, I am new to this whole thing... I can't afford to sleep 13 hours every night, so what do you suggest???
    Anyone ???

Thanks Sue
  3. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

I don't sleep that long at a time, but with the naps I take I bet I sleep that much everyday. Some days I nap three times a day. It doesn't leave much for a normal life. But like I told my counselor it is the only time I am pain free until the pain wakes me again. Take any better feelings you can get anyway you can get them.
    Vickie C.
  4. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

I find that if I don't sleep long enough, I hurt.
    If I sleep more than 6 hours I also hurt. I wish I
    could afford to sleep more.
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

but not enough!(make sense?)It does'nt to me,but thats the way it is.I sleep usually from 11pm till 7am-8,and in 3-4 hrs later I could easily go back to bed.
    Sorry...I have no suggestions~wish i did.
    best regards,
    Tracey
  6. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

I can never sleep for more than a couple hours at a time, and it certainly isn't because I'm not tired! It's just that laying down is like trying to sleep on a bed of marbles, no matter how I'm lying. It's pain that wakes me up, and the less sleep I get the more I hurt. A self defeating cycle. I've tried sleep meds, whic do help me stay asleep for at least 3 to 4 hours, but then I'm in agony when I do wake up becuase I've lain in one position for so long. Not much help for you, I know.
    Sorry, and softest hugs
    Stormy
  7. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

What's that? I don't sleep in my bed for more than 3 hours before I'm in so much pain and stiffness that I can't get out of it. Sometimes I stay up all night and well into the next day. By then my whole body is electrified with fatigue. I'll sleep in the chair sitting up in narcoleptic fashion. I never intentionally fall asleep in the chair, I just zonk. It's only for about 15 minutes tho. The most sleep I get in a row is 3 hours. Before this DD I could have won the world championship for sleeping.
  8. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I usually sleep 7 hours a nite. That`s with taking my Klonapin and Utram. I get very tired during the day so if
    I`m home I end up taking a 2-3 hr. nap in the afternoon.

It`s seems like lately I`m always so tired and fatigued, I cant`t get enough sleep.

I think alot of meds also have the side effect of making
    us sleepy, I know klonapin and Utracet do that.
  9. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have CFS and FM and I sleep between 8 and 12 hours at night and between 1 and 3 hours in the afternoon. Would I prefer to be doing other things? Of course I would, but I really don't have a choice in this. Getting the right amount of sleep is important in keeping my pain down as well as allowing me to function at all.

If you are in so much pain that you cannot sleep I would suggest that you begin looking for better options for pain control. If you can only sleep for a few hours at a time you need to look for better options for helping you sleep. There are lots of choices available, from prescription to supplements. Your pain will not improve until you are able to get your sleep on a regular basis.

Barbara
  10. pepper

pepper New Member

although I would love to! I am exhausted all the time and, despite sleeping meds and ZMA, there are many nights, such as last night, when I do not fall asleep until 3 or 4 a.m. I rarely sleep for more than one or two hours at a time. I usually doze off and on for 7 or 8 hours but spend 4 or 5 more hours just lying in bed, trying to sleep.

If you can sleep 13 hours in a row and, as a result, feel better the next day, count your blessings! I would so love to be able to do that. Not sleeping is so frustrating.

I have not slept more than 4 hours in a row in 10 yrs. - and that much sleep in a row has been very rare.

Sleep tight! Pepper
  11. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Did your doctor tell you that Klonopin was helping you get deep sleep???
    The reason I ask, is that my docs have all told me repeatedly that all of the benzodiazepines eliminate stage 4 sleep, so they make us worse in the long run.
    Klutzo
  12. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I'm one of those who can't seem to sleep more than 1-2 hrs at a time. Collectively, I may get 7, 8 or even 9 hours, but I wake up tired and achy. Lately, I've been waking up in a lot of pain--not much stiffness, I don't think, but maybe at least part of the pain is stiffness that I just don't recognize as such.

I think one of my big problems is my sleeping position. I thought I had gotten that worked out recently when I started using a body pillow behind me and a small throw pillow to support my arm as I sleep on my side, but lately, I just can't seem to get comfortable. I think I may need to replace my head pillow, but I'm not really sure what I need. The physical therapist who ran the fibro class I recently attended suggested the kind that's low in the middle but high on both sides, as I need more head support when I'm on my side, but too much pillow thickness is bad for me if I'm on my back. I'm a bit leery about that kind of pillow for some reason, but I'm beginning to feel a bit desperate! I just can't seem to get enough sleep, and I often wake up in a lot of pain--especially lately. I've been fighting pain in my lower right molars for weeks. I keep going back and forth between whether the problem is referred pain from a trigger point (or trigger points) and whether the problem really is in the tooth, even though the X-ray didn't show any problem.

I'm told a good night's sleep (with deep, restorative sleep) can help with the pain. I'd sure like to find that out from experience!

--Laura R.M.

13. lucky

lucky New Member

can be a very helpful med for CFS/FM. It is amazing how fast you are asleep and for how long you are sleeping if you can tolerate this antidepressant. It worked as a miracle for me after I tried everything first alternatives and then meds many years ago.
    Pepper, I remember that you are also on Zoloft. I remember it well because when I was on it and was up most of the night, it was awful. There is a big difference if we get some rest at night, and I hope that others find something too that helps them get some much needed sleep. Take care, Lucky
  14. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

Sleep? What is that? If I could sleep for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time.......WOW....there are nights that I also will just lay there, amongst the muscle spasms, and not get to sleep until 5 or 6 am.....then at 8 its time to get up....My Dr will not give me anything for the sleep problems.....I dont think she really belives me....This is the 5th Dr, the only one who understood retired. I am in the process of trying to find a new Dr, but without health insurance this is proving to be quite a challenge.
  15. beans

beans New Member

I sleep probably 10 hours a night and nap at least once during day. Beans
  16. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep during the night. I do get help with my meds though, or else I wouldn't sleep at all. I try to stay up until 11PM, but most of the time it's 10PM. I wake up around 6AM, but don't roll out of bed until after 7AM (it takes that long to get things moving).

I also try to rest here and there throughout the day. It really helps with my pain too!

I'm sorry I could not offer sound advice! Lisa
  17. JP

JP New Member

Hi Sue,

On a good night I will sleep 6 hours without waking. Sometimes I am able to go back to sleep for 1-2 more hours. My pain condition really gets in my way of getting more sleep. I am working on having this be better. I used to sleep about 90 minutes at a time...so I am very pleased with this great improvement.

jp
  18. Myth

Myth New Member

Don't get much myself, about 2 to 6, four hours on average. Which explains why my fibro fog is so horrible. But my dad has FMS and he sleeps like 12 hours a night, he says he still feels like he has had none when he wakes up. The problem being that niether of us gets quality sleep, but I also have problems falling asleep and staying asleep. On days off I can sleep to like two in the afternoon, which is better than just two hours, but it does not really make me feel better- actaully I feel more sluggish. My dad was helped by sleeping pills, now he gets about ten hours of better quality sleep and this has decreased his brain fog.