How much does Lyme treatment cost?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by sorekitty, Jan 9, 2009.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I haven't got an LLMD yet. I have been on a waiting list with one dr but there is another dr I may start with and he takes my insurance. But does insurance really pay for much besides the dr visits?

So far, I have had my IGENEX test. I am working with my current dr to heal my gut dysbiosis and be prepared for Lyme treatment.

With the financial market (my dh is a financial advisor) we are trying to get an idea of costs. I know this is a really general question and depends on a lot of things.

How much are IV antibiotics, IM antibiotics and oral antibiotics in general?

I'm on a lot of supplements that are expensive and I suppose I will continue with those.

What else can I expect to pay for besides doctor visits?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Molly
  2. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

I just started my treatment but since May I have spent over $5,000. (Insurance paid for some, but none of the supplements, none of the travel costs.)

Plus, I got my daughter tested because she seemed to be so much like me, symptom wise and she has it. We are driving from FL to PA in March just to see a LLMD.

I know in the other post you mentioned having a six year old. How long do you think you have had Lyme? Do you think your son may have it? I am positive my daughter got it in vitro....
  3. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

That is a long way to travel. I won't have that expense. I have already had my IGENEX test. So if I divide your 5,000 by 8 months it has been about $625 a month. Does your dr take your insurance? So as far as I can figure i will need to pay for:

doctor appointments
    medication
    blood draws
    supplements

Anything else I may be missing? Our insurance deductable is very high and since it is January we will basically pay everything out of pocket until the dedctable is met.

I'm not sure how long I have had this but i remember never feeling better after my son was born. I was dx with fibro when he was about 8 months old. But I have considered getting him tested. He doesn't have the same symptoms but I have read that there may be a connection between Lyme and Autism. I worry that I gave it to him in utero or breastfeeding.

Since I am so weak right now I must deal with myself first. My son is actually doing very well but still I worry of course. How old is your daughter?

Molly
  4. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

Hey!

Yes, you do need to take care of yourself. But, please keep it in the back of your mind that your son may have the same thing. My daughter is 6. She got a fever really bad when she was 16 mths old and had rocephin shots and we didn't even know why she had the fevers. I breastfed as well, but I think she could have gotten it invitro as well.

No, my doctor doesn't take insurance. The appointments are $200. Plus they were having me take IV vitamins there that cost like $125, the other injection was $35.00. The supplements they want me to take are $150 a month, the meds are about $250, but I take the antiboitics, adderall, sleep meds, diflucan, antidepressents. Then they prescribe specially compounded thyroid, cortisol, progesterone, and pain creme.

Most of my blood work was covered by my insurance, but it is a good thing they did because they ran $5,000 worth of tests!!

But, that was the Fibro/Fatigue center. I am hoping this doctor in PA will not think so much stuff is necessary. Where are you from? I hope you the best!! If you get the right treatment, lots of people get better!!!!