How much humidity does it take

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Musica, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Musica

Musica New Member

to affect you? Lately, I have felt better with nicer weather, and we don't have the high humidity like the east coast. Yesterday was a high of 88. There was 93% at 7am but high 70's by 8 and it dropped steadily to 33% by 7pm. This morning is 77% humidity and 62 degrees at 7:30, but I think it is the coolness making me feel like this now.

Yesterday, I was very achy with limited energy. It makes me wonder why I wasted it vacuuming yesterday morning, but I think it really took a lot out of me. Anyway, would that kind of humidity be enough to cause such symptoms or is it just coincidental and I would be feeling like this, no matter what the weather? Okay, also, I did come under some stress at work on Friday from the boss, and I have to work this weekend, although at home.

It really bugs me to feel crummy on a summery day! It's not like we get high 80's very often! I look at all these other people and wish I could just walk around like I used to, normally and not having to deal with something being stiff or hurting all the time.
  2. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I feel you! I love the summer, cold makes me hurt soooo bad. Up until 5 years ago I never had an air conditioner. I even wethered summers in Austin TX without it. Now it seems the more pain I an in the less able I am to handle the heat.
    Today is 95 deg in VA. with the humidity at 88%. Normally this would not bother me to much, I would take my kids to the pool and enjoy the day. But today I am a hermit inside the house. I just can't handle the heat and humidity. The actual weight of the humid air is to much for me to handle.
    So now I am in a tight spot.... unable to tolerate the cold of winter or the heat of summer.
    I am only in my mid thirtys but feel as if I am a senior citizen. It makes me afraid of what my life will be like at 60.
    I hope with the fall nearing you will be able to get out more!
    A
    A
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

It doesn't take very much heat or humidity to affect me!!!

But I don't know if bothers me so bad because I have fibro, or my lupus, or heart problems. I have always gotten physically ill from the heat and humidity since I was a child--and my rhuemy says that's the lupus.

Yesterday, it was 103 degrees here with humidity in the 90's percentile. AWFUL!!! UNBEARABLE!! I HATE THIS TYPE OF WEATHER!!

I live in the mid-Eastern part of the US, I guess you would call it! I live in northeastern Kentucky, close to the Ohio River.

Yesterday morning, my grandson, going into the 2nd grade, had pee-wee football practice at 7:00 am in the morning. When they got done at 10:00 am it was already 95 degrees! My daughter said he looked like he had the life sucked out of him when he got done. They went home, her with a headache from the heat, and him half-sick, took showers and had to go back to bed -- the heat had already gotten to them.

In this weather, I don't leave my house unless it's an emergency--we have central a/c and keep it at 68 degrees. I've been like a hermit this summer due to the extreme heat wave. I only go out for doctor appts. and then come home sick!!

I wished I lived in a part of the country that stayed in the low 70's during the summer and with low humidity!!

I could wish my live away!
    Janet
  4. Logand

Logand New Member

My Dad bought me something called an All Weather Wireless. It shows temperature and humidity inside and outside. It's been interesting to say the least. Anything above 65% humidity, and I start to sweat and get fatigued. The higher it gets, the worse I feel.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When air is hot and humid, there are more particles of moisture in the air and fewer molecules of oxygen. Hot air is thinner just as it is at high altitude. When there is a front and the ambient pressure drops, the pressure inside our bodies increases relative to the outside air. This can increase breathing problems. It can affect our joints and how we feel. In the old days, those with rheumatism would always predict when a storm was approaching.

I, personally, feel much better here at sea level with the heat and humidity than I did in CO with the thin, dry air which is horrible polluted along the mountains in the winter. I don't spend much time outside when it is this hot and humid. I don't like using the A/C but it's a necessity right now. I live so far south that it is in the sub tropics. The fronts which cause people to feel worse usually pass to the north of us. Our weather doesn't changes much. We have two seasons: Hot and Hotter!

Love, Mikie
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I notice you live in Northern MI. Does the cold bother you in the Winter or are you more bugged by the Summer humidity?
    It has been non-stop humid here in Carlsbad and I am dying.
    I hate it. I have been considering a move to a drier place in the desert or something. For some reason, humidity is the #1 aggravating factor for me.
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but since I've moved to Southern Cal it has helped me.
  8. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

As in $500,000 for a rundown starter home.
  9. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I call it the tropical zone of the America's.....

I grew up in west Tennessee....

Humidity is unbearable again here right now...

but cold weather bothers me too.

I need 90 degrees and dry dry air!

I said when we moved here 10 years ago that I would have to develope gills in order to breath in this stuff.

I kept chronic bronchitis flare ups for 8 months out of the year 4 months hacking my lungs out and 2 months break only to get it again.... this went on for 5 years...then about that time I was diagnosed with the fibromyalgia.....

I think I just had soppy wet lungs for too long.

When I visit my family in Tennessee I always feel better and then wind up in bed for 2 weeks when I get home...and nose and head dripping again with the sinus crap.

I have spent August's out in Arizona when it was 120(112 in the shade)and personally thought it was much cooler then the 98's here. The humidity makes all the difference in the world.