How much magnesium is safe?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by klarry, Jun 27, 2003.

1. klarry

klarry New Member

I take 250 mg of magnesium plus a multivitamin that says it supplies l00% of daily magnesium. How much can I safely take? Would a higher dosage bring more pain relief? Thanks for all your help.
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

He suggests 200-500mg daily. To reduce the dose if you get diarrhea. My internist suggested I keep increasing the dose until my bowels got loose. Others take more than 500mg a day, and tolerate it very well.

So, to answer your question, what you are doing now is ok. You can try increasing it, but just watch stomach and bowels, too much and you will know it . . .

Some have suggested that a magnesium/malic acid combination is good for muscle pain relief. I couldn't stay on it long enough to tell. Hope this helps. -Karen
  3. klarry

klarry New Member

Thank you for the help. I don't really see any benefit with the dose that I am on, but maybe I'd miss it if I stopped taking it. I'm going to try scupuncture next week. Maybe that will work.
  4. klarry

klarry New Member

I am definitely going to bring this up with my doctor. I also take calcium for osteopenia. I'm confused by the recommendation to lower calcium when on magnesium. I want more energy (definitely!!) but don't want to weaken my bones.