How much melatonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by magic, Oct 25, 2002.

1. magic

magic New Member

do i need to take as i can only find 3mgs doses and any information i can find says that only 0.5mg is needed. many thanks
  2. magic

magic New Member

do i need to take as i can only find 3mgs doses and any information i can find says that only 0.5mg is needed. many thanks
  3. Duffsangel

Duffsangel New Member

I love Melatonin! It is the best sleep aid I have ever used. No druggy feeling in the morning, and it makes me sleep much deeper than I normally would. As we get older our bodies stop producing Melatonin, so it something our body needs. I started years taking 1.5mg, and now I take 3mg. It is wonderful stuff in my opinion!! Happy sleeping!
    Duff
  4. magic

magic New Member

I am also in the U.k. and Ihave to buy all my supplements from U.s.a. as my G.P.is not helpfull.My consultant is really good and has advised me to try melatonin.
  5. themarce

themarce New Member

I had been taking 3mg. of melatonin for about 2 years or so. It was amazing - fell asleep quickly and did not feel drowsy in the morning. Unfortunately my new doc said that I should go off it. Apparantly it only works for about 9-10 months. I really do not notice much of a change since I have been off it. I live in Canada where you cannot get it at all, I had to have a friend mail it to me from the U.S.
    Good luck.
  6. webkook

webkook New Member

Is there a best time to take melatonin? I would think right before bed wouldn't work - maybe a couple hours before? Any ideas? I've heard that it works but am just wondering if there's a proper way to take it. Thanks!

Lynn
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

I've read somewhere that the amount of melatonin individuals produce themselves varies at a ratio of 1 to 200 (which seems enoumous to me). I tried various doses, taking it to be the right dose whichever is the largest I can take without feeling groggy in the morning, which in my case is 0.4mg, so I cut 1mg pills in halves and then crumble off a bit ... . It doesn't make me sleep on its own (I take various other things as well), but I imagine it contributes to my sleeping ok these days.
    Instructions say it should be taken in the evening, between 20 minutes and an hour before bedtime - again, I think it's a matter of trying out how long after you take it you get sleepy, and then you work backwards from there.
    Susanne
  8. webkook

webkook New Member

Thanks Susanne for the info... I have to try something, my sleep is so poor now I'm averaging 3-4 hours a night of poor sleep and the rest of the time I'm just sitting up because I'm too frustrated to lay in the bed anymore. The fatigue and stress from not sleeping is causing my symptoms to go crazy at the moment. I used to be on Elavil and that had helped the sleep problems but it caused irregular and rapid heartbeat so I am no longer on it. One medication is enough (for high BP, since I got off the Elavil - ack!) - I'm trying to deal with this without medication until I can find a doctor who's willing to really pay attention to what's going on with me symptom-wise with the FMS.

I'll let you know how it works out. :)

Lynn
  9. sb439

sb439 New Member

lynn, if your sleep is that bad and your symptoms are getting worse, I think it is likely that you need more than just melatonin. There are some threads on sleep on this board which you could search for. One thing that helps me a lot (and is recommended also e.g. by drs Cheney and Teitelbaum) is valerian root. It's not addictive, and it seems one cannot easily overdose on it either. You can get it in pill form or (what I take) as alcohol free valerian root extract. (A small percentage of people who take it seem however to get more awake rather than more sleepy, so it doesn't work for everyone.) Having said this, it is of course wise to start one new thing at a time, so that you know which things work and which don't.
    Susanne
  10. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Type in Melatonin and dreams, this was a very interesting survey and result status.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  11. magic

magic New Member

I have just looked at the report you sugested.Many thanks for all the help and information given.