How much pain is "normal"??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, Jun 29, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

I have a question that I don't know if it's really possible to get an answer to, but I'm curious. I am still mentally fighting with myself about this diagnosis of fibromyalgia and what it means to me and my future. Some of you know that I am trying to train for a certification exam in September to become an AFAA Group Certified Fitness Instructor. I want to be able to teach a couple of times a week (cardio dance for kids, and now I'm also looking into teaching a class called Ai Chi--which is like Tai Chi but taught in a deep warm water pool).

The problem is, every time I push myself enough to where I'm making significant progress towards my fitness goals, I end up in what I guess must be a "flare?" I'm still only a year into being diagnosed, so I don't know a lot yet about what's a flare and what's not. But what happens is I go from being kind of sore all over, to being in burning/shooting/stabbing pain all over, especially in my neck, shoulders, and hips.

The other day we took our boat out to the middle of the lake and I was able to tread water fast and hard for over an hour without stopping for a break or to hold onto anything, and two days later I took a really high intensity cardio dance class that is basically like running, but with your whole body going in different directions. I was so proud of myself. Well, damnit if I didn't wake up the day after dance class feeling like I'd been hit by lightning. I start to hurt so bad I want to creep around the house like a little bug, and I feel like I could vomit if I bump into anything too hard, or even lay on anything too hard. I can't sleep from pain even.

I'm not taking pain medication hardly ever anymore, and I don't know how smart that is. I'm really questioning whether that is wise anymore. But then I see things like interviews about this whole Michael Jackson tragedy and they talk about people addicted to painkillers, and enabling doctors, and etc., and I question whether I'm just a big wimp.

Every time I end up feeling like this (I'm feeling this way right now, actually, and it's making it so hard to deal with my poor kids who are on summer break--I just got home from having to spend three hours in the hot sun at the pool with them and I feel like I want to curl up and die) I wonder if I really have fibro or if I have an injury of some kind that's just going undiagnosed? I don't know what to think anymore.

Thank you for letting me vent. I try so hard to stay positive, and be upbeat. This pain is really getting to me right now. I don't feel like being positive right now.
  2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

What you describe Satchya sounds exactly like FMS to me. That's how it is. I know it's horrible.

FMS pain can range anywhere from slightly annoying to extremely debilitating. We experience all kinds of pain and overall symptoms in our bodies that can be difficult to put into words.

You're not a wimp if you use pain meds. There's a huge difference between somebody treating chronic pain and someone who is an addict.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

The weird part about this fms and I am glad you said flare because you do exactly like me.
    You have to learn what you can do and cannot do so you will not have a flare.
    Cardio, heat and sun seems to be some of the worse.
    I cannot believe you take nothing I cannot take it.

Seems to me more active people or type 1 people get this fms. Or is that my imagination?

It is like a death sentence until you accept it. Then sometimes it makes you so angry!!
    I got that way not to long ago.
    Totally understand venting, go right ahead

Take care
  4. 3gs

3gs New Member

The only excerise I have seen recommended is light. Your body is telling you to much!

I pushed and refused to listen and am now housebound if not bedridden. I can't even take my grandkids for an hr swim in sun. Rest is key with this dd and not pushing til you crash.

There was a good article on here on pain and not taking meds. They have proven it hurts you more not to take the meds because than your body is taking a toll fighting the pain then you tense up and get muscle spasms. Like other poster said said there is a difference in chronic pain and people who become addicts,you will become physically addicted.

take care your body is telling you something
  5. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i have developed OA with FMS and I know if yesterday I did a lot, that today I will hurt so much! that's the way it goes! I can't exercise hardly at all. When your body tingles, burns, feels hot, feels cold, your joints hurt, all of your body hurts, you have loss of feeling in fingers, etc., it is FMS.

It is not pleasant but that is the way it is.

I take 1 painkiller a day - supposed to take 2 evefry 8 hours but can't seem to figure that out! I add Extra-Strength Tylenol to that - 2 at a time every 6-8 hrs. I am also on Lyrica - supposedly 3 a day but on 1. My supp-lement is OK now but in a month or so, I will be on my own.

The whole thingt is difficult - finances, being alone, (DH just passed away May 17) not having friends accept FMS as real, just gettingn ouit of bed.

I hate to sound negative but that is our life. Yes, you will have happy and fun times but it is always there.

Just let your body tell you what to do.

We love all of you, whatever your afflicaion.

i just read this over and it is really not the end of your life. You just accept it and you will have a hapy life.

Again, Lilaclover
  6. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

>>>But then I see things like interviews about this whole Michael Jackson tragedy and they talk about people addicted to painkillers, and enabling doctors, and etc., and I question whether I'm just a big wimp.<<<

He owed one pharmacy, alone, over $100,000 US, so that should give you some idea about the degree of this man's addiction to prescription drugs.
  7. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

dang, what pharmacy was allowing him to go into debt to get meds?! every pharmacy I have ever been to only gives meds if you pay up front (or if it goes thru your insurance first)

and, how sad - debt for anything is bad enough, but debt for an addiction is awful

and as others have said, there is a big dif between addiction and needing it for chronic pain.....I am not a big fan of meds, but I do believe that we should have the choice and if the pain is bad enough, then taking them can be better for the body than not taking them....not only for the reasons mentioned before, but also bc of the impact of pain on sleep and the need for good sleep when one is chronically ill