How much sleep do you get in 24 hrs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by vannafeelbettr, Sep 11, 2008.

1. vannafeelbettr

vannafeelbettr New Member

On average, of course. Collectively, and does it include a nap during the day?

I feel I get a good 8 hours overnight (broken, I own a toddler refusing to sleep through the night) and have such a strong urge to take a nap midday, but cannot because of kids. Was wondering to those who took a midday nap, if symptoms were more tolerable.

2. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Vannafeelbettr,

I’m sort of at a loss as to how to estimate the hours of sleep I get during the night, because like you, my sleep is very broken. I am usually in bed 7-8 hours during the night, but I wake up so many times. Sometimes I can go back to sleep right away, other times, it may take an hour or more and I may have to get up. I do occasionally take naps during the day, although I have never really been a nap person. When I have really severe migraines (usually around my periods), some days I’ll sleep most of the day away, because that’s the only thing that helps at all. But its never really helped with any other symptoms.

Have you had a sleep study performed or been diagnosed with a sleep disorder? I had a sleep study performed earlier in the year, and I was diagnosed with Alpha-EEG sleep disorder. I guess that’s where the alpha brain waves (the awake brain waves) intrude into your deep sleep, which does not allow you to get that refreshing, recuperative sleep that we so desperately need. I’ve known for a long time that it was happening, so it was nice to have that diagnosed.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Sometimes only 7 hours plus a 1-2 hour nap......... sometimes 10 without or with a 1+ hour nap........ I guess it depends on how what I'm doing medically at the time.

I did do low-dose cortisol for 6 months, which gave me a lift that really helped for a while -

even tho my testing showed ok, my doc agreed that blood tests were not 100% reliable so gave me some to try, I think I worked up to about 15 mg/day, which is considered a physiologic dose -

The wonderful effect lasted for a few years. I'd been taking regular 2+ hours/nap per day at the time no matter how little or how much I slept at night. It helped me to eliminate my afternoon naps which were very regular then.

Physiologic cortisol is another topic that can generate some 'upset', but the idea is to give it in low doses, just like thyroid is........... the big mistake MDs made in the 1950s were to give it in much higher doses, which of course ultimately backfired. If they'd done the same with thyroid replacement, it probably wouldn't be rx'd today much either.
  4. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I get about 10-12 hrs sleep at night. I don't sleep during the day, but I do snooze once in a while sitting up in a chair if I get exhausted.

Fortunately, one of the medications I am on allows me to get a good nights rest. If I get up too early, then I am in a fog all day.

Unfortunately, I don't know which medication it is! But it is really great to not wake up yelling from the pain.