how much sleep is too much for a Dog?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rene, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm borrowing my moms pet as I am by myself and he sleeps 22hrs a day! He is a small dog age 12. Isn't that way to much?
    Rene
  2. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

at 12yrs hes a pensioner bless him :)

like us when we get to a certain age were going to want to sleep more. hes probably up and about more than you realise.
    if you do find your self worrying and watching over him i would take him to a vet for a quick check up, it will be money and time well spent as it will either find a reason for this or will put your mind at rest.

if he is normally an active dog then book him in asap but if hes normally sleepy then a check up will do it.
  3. btatusko

btatusko New Member

Don't fret! That's normal. Is it helping to have a dog with you?
  4. Rene

Rene New Member

Well he lives at my moms and she has a yard. I think he is more active there cause I'm in an appartment. He has a brother and sister but my mom doesn't talk to them much or pet them. I don't think he has been to the vet in yrs.

I'm glad you think 22 hours is good! I guess since he can't watch tv or anything would he just stair at the walls!

I got him a squeaky toy and a pig ear and enjoy him but its hard to get him down the steps for me. Its nice to have someone here to greet me and actually miss me.

Thanks you for the quick replies. I feel better about him (Bandit or Bandie or BoBO or BoBo Bear). He's a pekinese but he looks like a Saint Bernard puppy!
    Rene
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Rene, I have had dogs all of my life. Adult dogs sleep most of the day. That is normal for them. He may be awake when you are sleeping, going on "house patrol" or whatever.

I have maintenance insomnia where I wake up many times a night, and if I happen to get up, each time I will find my dogs in a different place in the house. So they obviously are awake and doing their job guarding the house. They just prefer to doze during the day.

Hope you're enjoying him. Take care.

Michelle