How much tv do you watch???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I watch a LOT of tv...I can only clean for short periods of time without needing to sit...Reading isn't always easy...Computer isn't always easy to manage...I don't often feel good enough to leave the house....I used to love to cook for hours..but that doesn't happen too often anymore...We are in a new house in a new state..so I don't have friends stopping in.
    So..I end up watching a lot of tv..and honestly I am not always so sure even what I am watching is sinking in at all...
    So, now I am curious..is watching tv a normal thing for FMS'ers???My friend who happens to have M.E. and I have laughed many time on phone calls because we both ended up watching QVC because we had seen all the decorating and food shows that were on! Crazy but true!

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Because I am off work for a few months. But I can only take so much! I like to read also, and most days I am able to read without problems.
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

if i am awake which is alot i bought 27in for my bedroom since i am in there all the time. charlene
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

Way too much.

Michelle
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

Way too much. It is on most of the day. I use it as a pacing device a lot of the time and force myself to get up and do something constructive during the commercials. It is amazing how much you can accomplish that way. My concentration level makes it hard to remember what I read. Most TV requires less attention.

I have wondered sometimes if artificial light generated by TVs, computers etc., or even just regular home lighting, might upset circadian rhythm to some extent in those who are susceptible, contributing to problems with insomnia.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/09/2006]
  6. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I watch tv little to not at all. About the only thing I use it for is a rather expensive nightlight XD

The noise it makes fills out the empty spaces my rain cd doesn't cover.

I've just never been very big on tv, and it seems since I got sick, I like it even less. The constant chatter of shows annoys me. I won't even eat dinner with my parents anymore because of it. (both are avid tv watchers)
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have trouble watching to much tv. Can't stand all the noise. If I do turn it on during the day I have to turn it down low. I guess partly because after the kids and hubby get home my house gets noisy and the tv is on the rest of the evening. I have such a hard time with all the noise. Anyone else have this can't stand noise problem?? mick!!
  8. namow

namow New Member

It is the only thing that I can really do, sometimes I feel bad because how much tv I watch but it seems to be my companion...
  9. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

The tv is the 1st thing I turn on in the morning and it goes off during my nap and then back on until after 11:00pm when I try to go to sleep. I love to read but my hands and arms go numb after a few min. I move from one end of the couch to the other and then to my recliner. I know, its sad that my life with fm has come to this.

Suzette
  10. lorraine50

lorraine50 New Member

I have closed caption on my tv. I wouldn't be able to watch with all the noise...I never have the sound up..I'm also hard of hearing, so the noise way I use to miss so many words. now this way i get all the words...if anyone objects. I turn it up so little they can hear the words and I can't..

also depends on your situation if you watch alot of tv...

take care

lorraine
  11. cct

cct Member

I read somewhere (I think it was on my ISP daily newscast) that they have done a study somewhere (England?) that has shown that watching TV reduces pain levels.

I know that when my pain levels are high, I tend to watch more television.

Many years ago, a neuologist asked me what I did to deal with my migraines. I told her that I watched television because it distracted me from the pain.

Now, I mostly watch old black & white movies because the visual and auditory cues are less intrusive. When I do watch regular programs, I use the "mute" button on my remote like I was playing a video game!!! I mute out the commercials; they are too loud and over-energized.

12. Empower

Empower New Member

I am addicted to Regis and Kelly, Ellen, The View

Then we go on to the Young and Restless, Bold and Beautiful

Then Dr Phil, then Oprah

And then we go into all the new night time programs

I don't get anything done
  13. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Next to nothing. Food TV on Saturday morning for 1 hour. "24" when it is on...season premier in January.

Once in a while if there is a good movie on. Otherwise, we rent movies from Netflix and that's it!!

Too much stimulation and the commercials drive me nuts

Lola
  14. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

I always have, I am addicted an it is only worse now. I have been trying to read more but I can only get thru about 3 pages before my eyes are closing and I'm ready to fall asleep! It's crummy when your really interested in a book and it takes forever to read it!

Blessings,
    Kelly
  15. MsE

MsE New Member

More than I should.
  16. Erotika2

Erotika2 New Member

I find I am watching a heck of a lot these days.....
    I think its also because I am off on a sick leave at the moment as well.

When I am having a really bad health day, I find that the TV is too much, and I need to rest in a quiet, dark room.
    Reading is something I have also done a lot of but I do find when I am really bad, its hard to concentrate and stay focused on it.
    I have been thinking about getting an Xbox even, just so I have something to do other than watch TV when Im feeling bad.....? does anyone else play games just to pass the time?
  17. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

it's hard not to just sit in front of the t.v. when everthing hurts and all you can do is curl up with a heating pad that's all there is to do! but, this is part of what makes this dd so depressing and isolating, you don't feel go enough to do anything else.
    rachel
  18. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I do try to occupy some of my day with things other than tv...but the worse I feel, it seems that is all I can manage to do..and even that at times is overload! I find myself turning down the sound...watching things that have very low key content..etc. Lately I haven't been doing well..and it seems like the tv is always on ..and always what I am doing..UGH>
  19. mary124

mary124 New Member

I work so probably not too much. When i get home, i turn it on for the news, but I'm not usually watching it, as I'm in the kitchen cooking dinner. I would say about 2-3 hours if that during the week. (depending on whats on) On the weekend about the same (I don't have cable so there really isn't anything till the evening.