HOw much Xanax do you take? How long have you taken it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Sep 23, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I've been taking .25 in the morning and .25 in the evening for about a month. I'm scared of getting addicted but it's the only thing that keeps my anxiety in check. I've been having breathing problems, like a tight band is around my chest (have had heart and lungs checked out - all o.k.).

How long have you been taking it? My dr. doesn't seem to have a problem dispensing it but I've read lots of stuff against taking it long term. But if it helps me, what to do?

Thanks,
    Meow
  2. cozykitten

cozykitten New Member

Hi Meow!
    I took Xanax for 15 years straight. Took different dosages depending on what I needed at the time. At one point, I was taking .5 mg 3 times a day. I had very bad anxiety, panic attacks for many years. I understand the tight band around your chest. I had my heart checked out too, but it was not that....just anxiety. Take the meds in good faith, they are great. When I felt that I no longer needed them, I quit taking them. No problem. But I had tapered down to only .25 once a day. It is a great medication for panic disorder. when I started taking Paxil, it did the trick for me and I was able to get off Xanax. I still keep it around, and maybe have taken 2 doses in a year....maybe.
    Good luck!!
    Kay
  3. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

I am on 4 mgs a day. I take the Xanax XR which is an extended release and I take two 2 mg. pills a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. I have been on it for a little over 3 years. I had a very SEVERE anxiety/panic disorder so bad I would barely leave my home. After trying several lower doses.
    It took this much to finally get me back to normal and since I have been on this dosage. I have not had one attack and can go anywhere now. My Mother is also on it. She only takes . 25 twice a day. She has been on it for 11 years.
  4. nje

nje New Member

I`ve been taking 1 mg. which is twice the strength of .5,i take 4 a day. i-morning,1-afternoon and 2 at night along with other meds to help me sleep. they are also for panic attacks which like you,i felt like i had a band around my chest. i went through all those tests to eliminate anything else. i`ve been on them 7 years;i don`t know what i would do without them. theres no harm in taking them unless of course you took too many,like 10 or 10,but you`d have to be on a suicide mission to do that,and really i don`t think that many would kill you,probably make you sick as a dog.
    we are fortunate we have Drs. that will write them for us. some Docs will not write them no matter what.good luck and
    (((((((((((((hugs))))))
    NJE
  5. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I guess it's just hard but it's the only thing that helps!
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Once, though, I found myself taking 1 every morning and when I tried to skip a day, I was miserable. I don't like to feel this way, so I weaned off and only use it for anxiety now.

abbylee
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Meow, don't be afraid of xanax if it helps take it..I take .25 four times a day and more if needed..It has been the only thing that has helped me with my cfs symptoms and anxiety..Also it is the only benzo that does not interfere with stage 4 sleep..

I have read that more doctors are prescribing xanax to help with some of the symptoms of this disease...

About 11 years ago before my disease I was given xanax for anxiety..I took it for over 2 years, .25 four times a day and got to feeling better and had no problems getting of off them..I just started to forget to take it and before I knew it I was not taking any.

Since I was dx. with cfs I have anxiety/depression, agoraphobia etc..but its different than the anxiety I had years back..Its much worse and the xanax has been a great medicine...I will probably be on it the rest of my life.. My doctor has no problem with me taking it, if fact she told me I should probably up my dosage, since I am so upset over this heart issue and cfs....

I have read some of your post sounds like we have a lot in common..Are you able to go and do or are you mostly a stay at home
    cfs suffer? When I try to go and do then I am in bed for days don't know when I wil
    ever learn I just can't do the things I want to...

Take your meds if they help, with this disease there are so few things that help us...

Would love to hear more from you, your symptoms etc....

Best of Luck.
    greatgran

[This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  8. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I too take Xanax for Anxiety and Panic. I take 1 mg and can take up to 3x a day. I usually try to stay at 2x a day. But somedays, I do have to take it 3x a day. I have been taking it now for at least 5 years, having to increase a little over the years.

I personally, dont know what I would do without it. It has helped me to be able to leave my home. I know, I would be going out even less, if it were not for Xanax.

I think if its truly helping you, then you should continue taking it. With anything, if it comes a time you want to stop taking it...you can graudually be wined off of it.

Hugs
    Bluerose
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I take .5 mg. three times a day. I have been on this amount since 1997. This is why I hate to switch docs because I don't think a new doc would keep me on this.

I'm on it for anxiety and one psychiatrist thought the Prozac was making me nervous. I have always thought the Xanax helped relax my muscles.

I'm doing well and I've been on it a long time as you can see.

Hugs,
    Faye
  10. rosed2

rosed2 New Member

take enough and I don't take it often enough. I need all I can get some days but I don't take it on days I can get by. I don't want the doctors to think I am drug shopping so I limit what I take.

Rosed2
  11. ltarmand

ltarmand New Member

OK here is my situation. I currently had to be evacuated to my brother's house with two extra children, all under the age of 7. I can tell you that without my xanax, i would have gone nuts a long time ago. I also take wellbutrin and zoloft every day. I am a nervous wreck because I don't have any idea of when I will be able to go home. My husband is in a different city. My feelings are if you need it take it depending on the situation, that way you would not be dependent on it.

Just my thoughts.

lana
  12. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Quick question: I get terrible anxiety/panic attacks (along with the fatigue barely leave house) and I just got a prescription for Xanax. I am extremely sensitive to meds and have anxiety about taking an anti-anxiety medication (go figure). Anyway, getting to the question…can I take a ¼ of a pill when I am not having anxiety just to see how I react to it?
    Thanks,
    Carrie
  13. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Carrie,
    Yes, you can take 1/4 of a pill just to see how you will react to it. If you are able to get 1/4 of one cut. Mine are generic, but scored in half, but I guess with luck I could get 1/4 of it. :)

Xanax helped me so much when I first had symptoms of severe pain from FMS. One time, it was so bad I took 2 of them and went to sleep on the sofa. I was first given Xanax for anxiety and found by using it that it helped the pain of FMS for me, at least.

I've been on it since 1997, 3 pills a day .5 mg. per pill.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
  14. mmeszar

mmeszar New Member

Xanax is a very effective medication, as evident by the other postings, but should not be feared if the dosage taken helps with your anxiety. I also take 1 mg in total a day, sometimes less, which depends on my anxiety level, and find it helps me at least be more at ease. Very important : ) However your concern regarding dependence is valid and this type of medicine should never be abruptly stopped unless advised by your physician. I wish you luck and health : )

Btw - It’s a pleasure to read & see from so many CFS suffers since it’s quite frustrating to me at times, and being privileged to your "personal" experiences is very helpful. Thank you!

Michael

[This Message was Edited on 09/26/2005]
  15. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I have been on it for 2 years. I take .25 (one pill) before bedtime. But sometimes I take an additional one during the day if I have a panic attack or increased anxiety, usually this happens around my period.

Cindy, I have a pill phobia, and I took the Xanax in little bits when I first started, so you can do this too until you feel safe with it.
  16. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

where did you read about AD's causing parkinson's? I haven't heard that.
  17. gongee

gongee New Member

I have been on Xanax for 5 years at .50 mg 5 times a day.
    I had tried every anti-depressant on the market and they just are not for me. Xanax has been a life saver for me as I have anxiety and panic disorder very bad and it is the only medication I have not had any side effects from. At first, I was worried of the addiction possibility and didn't want to take but the bare minimum, but after weighing the pros and cons, I decided that if I wanted to live a half normal life the anxiety and panic needed to be under control. Also with having fibro and cfs, anxiety and panic just make things so much worse. GONGEE
  18. Gwennie

Gwennie New Member

Xanax is a wonderful medication but you can develop an addiction to it, especially if you abuse it.

I've had a prescription for years and only took it when I needed to. Averaged maybe 1-2 times a month. But last fall I had a major depression crisis and the only way I held on was by taking xanax. Needless to say I was taking it like candy until I got the proper help I needed. By the end of six weeks I recognized that I was hooked. Read all sorts of literature about dangers of going cold turkey so talked to my shrink and we had a plan. I weened myself off of it but I had several days of misery in the process.

I think I can honestly say that xanax was a lifesaver at the time. I can still take it just like I used to on a periodic basis. I know my experience differs from others here; I just wonder if you took it only when you had to have it if that would work for you.

As for anti-depressants, many of them help with anxiety. Others recommend klonopin to deal with anxiety. Hope this helps.
  19. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

20. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

for two years because of PTSD. I was on .25 twice a day (I was also on Prozac).

It really worked well for me but I did get addicted to it I knew I was getting addicted even though my doctoe kept telling me it wasn't addictive and weaned myself off when I didn't need it anymore. As I did that I went on Valerian (sp?) which made the transition easier.