How often do you fall down?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by getfitat40, Dec 30, 2005.

1. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I did a search on falling down and it seems a lot of us have this problem. I am wondering if your doctor was able to pinpoint it to a specific cause or do we (as patients) just attribute it to FMS.

In the past 6 months I have had 3 really bad falls. One of the times was that I completely missed a step in to my hair salon. The other times, I was walking home from my train and I ended up face time. I cannot tell you if I tripped or not, but I know my prescription for my glasses needs to be changed.

All three times I have had several bruises and abrasions on my hands and knees and I have been extremely sore in my upper body. I can look at things from a glass half full instead of half empty by realizing that I must have strong bones since I did not break anything! Am I just a klutz or what? Is it part of FMS or part of my eye problems?
    Nancy
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I posted a week or so ago about falling on the ice. My husband started calling me Airbourne!

I have fallen several times. Usually just lose my balance and tip over.

Broke my leg once and one time I caught myself with my hands, but my head snapped forward and my forhead banged into the pavement.

I lose my balance a lot, but usually just end up running into walls! When I am outside I keep my dog close so I can hold on to him if I get a little "tipsy". I stand still while he does his business so I won't fall when he is "busy"!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean
  3. lolee

lolee New Member

I had 3 bad falls in the year before I was dx. I always wondered about this.

I just fall, my leg twists funny or my ankle goes out . . .i don't know. can't wait to hear what others say

lolee
  4. sdown

sdown New Member

Hi, Could be low blood pressure or an inner ear imbalance. I have both right now. Have you been tested for any kind of viral activity? I had the HHV6 virus and was on biaxin for 18 months. The virus is dormant now. Or could be metal poisoning. They found mercury, aluminum, arsenic and nickel in my blood. I went thru DMPS treatment (a kind of chelation treatment). Could also be adrenal glands. Exhausted adrenals cause dehydration which could cause imbalances or dizziness. Good luck!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know what causes it, but I lose my balance every now and then and almost fall. I've only actually fallen once in the last couple years.

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. Chestercat

Chestercat New Member

I fall or overbalance regularly. If I walk slowly I definately fall over. Although exhausting and more painful,I find walking at a steady pace safer. I only browse or queue if I have my stick. I don't know why it happens, but, (and please forgive me) I'm glad it's not just me!
    About 3 weeks before Christmas I had a different kind of fall. I was trying to do the ol' mind over matter thing with the pain as I tried to get a family meal. I remember feeling angry,in a cold sweat and feeling sick. I am my own worst enemy sometimes - I guess I should have asked for help before I got that bad. The next thing I know I go down like a sack of spuds, right beside the (you got it!)sack of spuds. I never did that before - collapsed due to the pain and it really scared me. I went to the doc and he gave me sleeping meds. He said I was exhausted as the pain was stopping me sleeping properly. I slept for almost a week which was WONDERFUL but I am used to them now so I may come off them for a while and then go back on them.
    Maybe falling and overbalancing is due to exhaustion?

Hugs,
    Chestercat.
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

It is nice to know that I am not alone - though I am sorry to hear that so many of us have this problem. Maybe knowing that all of you and others are with me will help. I hate that I have panic attacks and that prevents me from being able to get up by myself. I almost think the panic attacks are as bad as the fall - bruises & all.

I just hate all of the stuff that comes along with this DD. I wish everyone a happy, healthy & fall-free new year!

Nancy
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I lose my balance a lot and it generally seems when I'm in the bathroom, so I have the walls to brace myself with. I don't actually fall much at all.

I seem to drop things more than I lose my balance.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Faye - I drop things all of the time...it is awful. I always thought the dropsies were from my Carpal Tunnel but maybe it is FMS related. I think my downstairs neighbor is ready to shoot me - because with out fail I drop something heavy while getting ready for work and I get up around 5:45 or 6 am....
  10. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I can find no rhyme nor reason as to why I fall down, but yeah, I do it more than I should. It is so embarrassing and neither doctor knows what causes it.
    Tigger
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Getfit,
    As long as you don't drop the heavy item on your foot/feet, you should be okay. I guess the neighbors will just have to get used to it. lol

Hugs,
    Faye
    I was fit at 40--I lost being able to do all my exercises less than a year after I got FMS due to the flares it would bring on.
  12. patches25

patches25 New Member

About 18 months ago I fell off a step, broke 2 ankles, injured legs, and am not fully recovered yet. I have rails to hold onto now. I am careful if I lean or try to pick something off the floor. I stop and carefully manuver any step up or down a sidewalk. I still feel unbalanced so I am really careful at all times.

I don't want this to ever happen again. With a foot still in pain, I have a reminder to be careful. Please everyone, be careful!!!!! This is a $47,000.00 injury so far, nursing home care, and a lot of pain talking to you. Please, please, be careful. Assess what you do and where you go and what precautions you need to take at all times. Take care of yourselves!!!E.
  13. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

Faye - I was supposed to be Fit at 40 - and I was close. I changed jobs, gained about 50 lbs of wieght lost, and diagnosed with FMS.

I am going back on weight watchers with a new handle - 'startingover43' - I hope it brings me good luck!

E-man oh man - $47,000 fall is awful!

Tigger - I have perplexed doctors for years too. But I have finally found a doctors who are at least interested in helping me figure it all out!

Nancy