How often do you go to the doctor?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fezhat, Oct 24, 2006.

1. fezhat

fezhat New Member

How often do you go to the doctor for FM? I go once a month to the rheumy. Maybe every three months to the Family Doctor.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  2. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I usually go to my GP every 2-3 weeks and I think I need to change Rheumy as I can only get in to see him every 7 months

Love to all, Ann
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Welcome to the board.

I go to my CFS/FM specilist ever 3 to 5 months and to all other doctors when I have to go.

I really do not like to go because most do not understand. I need to find some different doctors. Are you satisfied with your doctors?
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I don't see my Rheumy anymore as he has stopped treating FM patients.

I see my family doctor every couple of months for my sleeping pills and pain meds prescriptions. Other than that, I just go if get something that's out of the ordinary.

Regards,

Eileen
  5. fezhat

fezhat New Member

I adore my rheumy. He has improved the way I feel overall by 75 percent. It took me years to find a good doctor. I feel lucky.

I wonder if going every month is normal or necessary.
  6. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I go to a great neurologist rather than rheumy. He has been great.

Kelly
  7. fezhat

fezhat New Member

How often do you see your neurologist?

8. mary124

mary124 New Member

I think I see all of my doctors on a regular basis (except of course, my gyno.- I don't have a rheumy doc.)
  9. huska

huska New Member

I go to my psychiatrist ( bad speeled i'm sure) every 2 months, once a year to my gymn and maybe every 10 months to my family Dr.
    That is more than enough for me...
  10. fezhat

fezhat New Member

Thank you for the idea. I edited the title because I go once a month and I'm wondering how necessary it is. I feel some pain, and refills can be done by phone. But a follow up every month can be expensive for insurance comapanies and co-pays, time off from work and for work, etc. It's my rehumy, but I'm not sure how common it is. I like the follow ups, but not sure if it's necessary since it's costly.
  11. Juloo

Juloo Member

FFC by phone -- about every 3 or 4 months. I'm approaching my 1-year anniversay, and I'll be doing an 'in-person' visit in January.

Massage Therapist -- not an MD, but much more important! I see her for 1 1/2 hours once every 4 to 6 weeks.

Chiropractor -- not terribly critical these days, but probably, on average, once every 3 to 4 months.

Nurse practitioner -- this woman oversees my anti-depressant use and treats my husband for Lyme. We go together once every 3 months-ish.

Local family practice -- as needed basis. As little as possible!

Ob/Gyn -- once a year...then mammogram once a year.

Dentist -- every 3 months for cleaning.

I *think* that's about it!

Lately I guess it feels like more because my son (10) is in the midst of a couple of sinus surgeries and allergy testing. Part of the surgery stuff is that his adenoids (out at 4) have grown back. Also, he's scarred up -- the pediatric ENT is not sure if it is from his tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy at 4-year-old (she didn't do it) or if it was congenital. In any case, she's working on opening up the back of his nasal passage and trying to find the openings for his eustachian tubes. With all that going on, the last thing I want to do is see a doctor. Poor kid having to go through all this at his age!
  12. browneyelady48

browneyelady48 New Member

I havent been to a rhemy, but have noticed that alot of people here go to one. In your option do you think they are better understanding than a primary dr.

I am really messed up this year, I switched primary dr. that knew me inside and out and knew about fibro and cf. But he let all his office staff go and brought in new ones with a nurse practioner, and I just wasnt happy with the situation. But really have reqretted, because I am having a hard time finding someone to replace him.
    Love Brenda
  13. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

since my internist handles pretty mush all of my med i see him about every 3 months, but i usually end up talking to him on the phone a few times in between. the only other dr i see is my psych and i see him every 3 months also.
    rachel
  14. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Right now I just have 2 doctors as I am looking for a gyn as I have had so many female poblems. I know that I have had a hyesterectomy but I still feel better with a gyn. And mine retired.

My Pain doctor I see every month. or Every 28 days. When I went to see him I found that the law states that when you taking a narcoitc pain medication you have to see the pain doctor or anesthieialogist{SP} monthly. They have to know how your pain is doing , if your meds are working and if your taking them right.

Also I had to sign a contract with my Pain Doctor. I see him every month to get my meds refilled , he checks to see how I am doing on them and if they are working.

But along with the contract it states that I will see 1 Doctor {Him } and that I will go to 1 pharmacy. That way you don't doctor shop as if you do you will soon not have a doctor.

I sometimes wish that they could see me every 3 months and give me a script that would state that I could be given 90 days worth of meds over the 3 months.

As most inusracne will not pay for more than 30 days at a time. So for me it would be really nice if I only had to see him every 3 months and could get 1 script per-perscritpion that would say that I could get 3 refills. But since I am on some stong pain pills that is not what happens.

Then I see my GP if I get a cold or flu and need antibitoics or have other needs that he can help with . Since he will NOT prescribe me any narcoitics. Most GP's don't like to prescribe you narcotics on a monthly basis.But some will give you a script for 30 pills and then if you need more you need to find a pain clinic like I go to.

I should see my ortho every 6 months as I have a titanium plate and six screws in my left wrist because I shattered my left wirst and it was so bad that I am in pain right now and hurt and my pain doctor has suggested that I need to check in with him and find out if the screws are ok and not lose and that there are not any other problems.

HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  15. suz45

suz45 New Member

I see my family doctor usually every 3 months for both the FM and also he monitors my seizure meds as my seizures have been under control for a long time, therefore my previous neuro thought it would be okay to be monitored by my PCP. My PCP is great, has a very small practice, takes time with you as a patient, I never feel rushed or that any concern I have is petty.

He made my intial referral to the chiropracator when my back started acting up and put me in a flare. He knows I'm not crazy about meds, so he put me on short term med therapy until I could be seen by my chiroprator.

I have been seeing him since early september, he has really helped alot, I am currently seeing him every 2 weeks to work on my shoulder area and work out the CMP trigger points in my hip region and lower back that have caused me alot of pain. This is the best I have felt since August.

Suz45

[ advertisement ]