How often have you needed to adjust pain meds???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suzan, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I am new to using meds for pain, I have been taking vicoden since November 2002...and in the first months, one pill would do a pretty good job of alleviating most of my pain. Now it seems that I more often need two at a time. My doc isn't concerned at all about how many I am taking at this point. But, I am wondering how long this drug will continue to work and at what point might it be wise to change to something else? What is your experience on this...and did the next drug you try work for a long term?
  2. Dara

Dara New Member

you because I want to see some of the replys. I also have been on the same meds for several years now and they sure aren't working like they used to. One thing I don't understand about my doctor is that he prescribes the 5/500 Vicodin up to six per day. Since the tylenol isn't good for us I would think he would prescribe the Narco which has twice the amount of pain medication in it but about 2/3 less the tylenol. I wonder if because it's a stronger medication it requires more paperwork??? anyone know?? Wish Madwolf were here, he'd know..

Dara
  3. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I'm wondering the same thing. Hope we hear from someone. It seems odd to me too how much tylenol is in vicoden, what is it for? If the tylenol wasn't working for me, then why give me more.
  4. IndigoSC

IndigoSC New Member

I wonder that all the time. I'm on Vicodin too, the 5/500. And when I first got on it, same here, 1 worked really well, now it's gotten to where I have to take more. I asked the dr. about it cause I was concerned cause I heard acetaminophen wasn't very good for your liver and he said as long as I didn't take more than 3 or 4 a day I would be fine. But some days it's been taking more then 3 or 4 especially since they are only the 5mg of hydrocodone ones. And of course tylenol by itself doesn't do any good for me, so why do my pain meds have to have that much? Or does hydrocodone not work well without the acetaminophen in it??
  5. Suzan

Suzan New Member

What was found is combining the acetimenaphen with the hydocrodone gave patients better pain relief than the hydrocordone alone. Sounds like more than a few of us have this problem!
  6. KayL

KayL New Member

I was taking Lortab 5/500, 3, 4 or 5 times a day. It was to the point I was taking 2 of them at a time. My doc changed my Rx to Lortab 10/500. For months, 3 times a day worked well for me. However, in flares I would take them 4 times a day. The last 2-3 months however, I have to take 2 of them in the morning, and I take 2 more over the course of the day, so most days I'm taking them 4 times a day. Some days I'm managing with 3, others it's taking 5, just depends on my pain level.
  7. ranger

ranger New Member

I've been on the exact same meds for 3 years and they do not seem to cover pain like they once did. My doc has increased the mg. over the years but I keep asking him about a different med. He has tried NSAIDS, but they hurt my stomach. Tylenol doesn't and I am up to Ty 3, taking 2 300/30 mg. each, that is 300 of tylenol and 30 of codiene. So even at 600 Tylenol taken at one time and 60 of codiene, I am breaking through with pain. Also I have been on Soma 350 mg. times 2 tablets twice a day. They help still, but not as much as it use to. Where should I go from here....suffer the rest of my life?...sounds like a plan....
  8. tlc8858

tlc8858 New Member

Hi, I have been taking Vicodin off and on for over 10 years for different problems. When I was diagnosed with Fibro in February I had to start taking it a little more often. I have not found that the amount has always seemed to work ok, but I also always wondered if your body builds an immunity to it after awhile. I recently switched to Ultram just to see if it works, maybe using the 2 at different times for different pain levels might work for me. I will let you know.
    tlc8858
  9. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

bump for more replies
  10. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

I Started taking Oxxi in Nov,Last yr,stated w/ 10 know up to 40 & 40, And Resently , Had a 2 week flare,Witch at one time oxxi covered the pain of a flare up w/ in 20 min's
    Dr now has me on 80 mgstwice a day for 2 week's w/ scared me , but now 3 day's later I'm fine,But I dont know what or if she can go back down to 40 or 60 after thease 2 week's , if anyone has a answer to that ,
    That would be great,,
    cindy
  11. moose1070

moose1070 New Member

Cindy,
    I started taking oxycontin about two months ago, started at 10mg. in am. 10mg. pm. it worked great for like the first couple of days but as I once was told from someone on this board that if your taking Vicodone 7/750 as I was they have to give you an equal amount of the Oxycontin because they are pretty much the same till you up the doseage. You take 160mg. of it aday?? Ive had the same trouble in a flare but my doctor just added the vicodone 7/750? Please let me know what the out come is?? Im not sure that once you've been upped if they bring you back down I would think it's not gonna work?? let me know??
    thanks
    moose1070
  12. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

I was just talking to my doctor about this today. I had to have my medication increased a month ago. I had surgery due to cancer and on going treatment and it put the fibro over the edge. I asked her what happens if I start needing more and build a tolerance. I take oxycontin. She said they will either take you off the med for a short time or switch the type of medicine then go back to the one that works. I also was told this by a pharmacist about sleeping medication .If it stops working , then dont take it for 3 or 4 days and it usually works again. hope this helps
    poodlemum
  13. Suzan

Suzan New Member

Looking for more responses!
  14. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Boy I'll Tell ya they move thease messages so fast ,I Was Looking For another post , When I came across you's,
    To answer you'r question, Yes I take 80 in the Morning & 80
    in the evening,{160}I'm saposto just be one this dose for two week;s ,My Dr. said for me to just put my 40 away for know, I was wondering How she would go aboughtLowering me back down, I Dont think I need 80 & 80 yet , Hopfully for yr's to come, But I know how the body gets usto pain Med's, I to started out on 10 Mg's , I'll never forget, Once I finally tok it, I was so scared of all the hip I herd abought it, And I am a recovering alcoholic,Anyway That first day , It made me fill Great !!!! And the second day ,It had No response on me what so ever,So stayed on 20 for Awhile ,Then moved up, to wear I was before that Horrable Flare & Yes Early on When I had ran out of it went & got another refill, I was in a Flare up , And No Kinding, W/In 15-20 min's It was Gone, I told my husband its great that it made it go away !!!But scary also , to think a pill can make a flare up disapear!!!!!
    I think that's what you wanted hope I helped
    cindy, If you have anymoor question's put a post on pg 1
    for cindy G.
  15. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Boy I'll Tell ya they move thease messages so fast ,I Was Looking For another post , When I came across you's,
    To answer you'r question, Yes I take 80 in the Morning & 80
    in the evening,{160}I'm saposto just be one this dose for two week;s ,My Dr. said for me to just put my 40 away for know, I was wondering How she would go aboughtLowering me back down, I Dont think I need 80 & 80 yet , Hopfully for yr's to come, But I know how the body gets usto pain Med's, I to started out on 10 Mg's , I'll never forget, Once I finally tok it, I was so scared of all the hip I herd abought it, And I am a recovering alcoholic,Anyway That first day , It made me fill Great !!!! And the second day ,It had No response on me what so ever,So stayed on 20 for Awhile ,Then moved up, to wear I was before that Horrable Flare & Yes Early on When I had ran out of it went & got another refill, I was in a Flare up , And No Kinding, W/In 15-20 min's It was Gone, I told my husband its great that it made it go away !!!But scary also , to think a pill can make a flare up disapear!!!!!
    I think that's what you wanted hope I helped
    cindy, If you have anymoor question's put a post on pg 1
    for cindy G.