HoW oLd ArE yOu AnD wHeN dO yOu ThInK YoU Got It?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Jun 5, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

How Old are you now and how old were you when you remember getting your first symptoms of CFS/FM?

Not when the doctors told you you have it ,but when you think back to when you really started feeling bad and never got better?
  2. onlythestrong

onlythestrong New Member

I was in my early 20's I had a horrible childhood and the doctors tried to blame everything that happened then to bringing it on but I have no clue all I know is it is here.
    Take Care,
    Mary
  3. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Mine started with Chronic Fatigue, and then turned into Fibro also, but my severe symptoms started maybe around 15.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I started have odd problems, in early teens. Still highly functioning, but knew something was wrong. (Was living next to a Pesticide Company for 18 years)All hell broke loose following oral surgery around age 22ish.(Certain anesthetics potentiate ORGANOPHOSPHATEs.) Got REALLY bad again following flea bombing in our house. Got REALLY worse while living in an apartment where another tenant heated with Kerosene. Got WORSE STILL after building a new house and became SEVERLY chemically sensitive. GOT WORSE STILL, after having our home treated for carpenter ants.

UGH. Cehmicals. Ugh. Pesticides. If I can figure it out, why can't the powers that be?
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Now 53 .Took care of my parents for 7 yrs.

Dad and Mom passed 31/2 yrs ago and BAM.I woke stiff neck could not move and than it traveled every were.I had FM first now CFS and OA>

Take Care
    Sue
  6. shanel06

shanel06 New Member

I am now 34. Diagnosed with FM at 15. Got sick with what was eventually diagnosed as CFS when I was 17.

And every day is a new learning experience :) Both of CFS and FM keep me on my toes with new symptoms, it seems.

Shannon L.
  7. ohmygoodness

ohmygoodness New Member

You were all so young, something needs to be done. I was probably having symptons when I was 38, diagnosed 4 years later, now 47 - now my whole body.
  8. jrose

jrose New Member

I am 58 now. I started menopause at 50 and think that may have started FM big time. By age 52 I had to stop work. It's difficult to tell what the problem was cause I also had developed OA in knees and later hands. I worked with torn knee cartilege for 5 months before dr. did surgery.Then had to have other knee done.But I also had pain and stiffness all over...neck,shoulders,wrist. Then my pcp sent me to rheumy who diagnosed FM. don't know if pain from knees started it. Always had neck tension and tension headaches.Sorry if i'm not clear cause the situation isn't clear to me-lol. Judy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  9. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

I will be turning 32 next month.

It all started when I was 24.

((Hugs))
    ~Bluerose~
  10. skyeone

skyeone New Member

Well I'm 34 and I believe that I first got CFS/FM or at least the first symptoms, very early in life. Probably around 10 or so, but it's really hard to tell as I was still fighting off the effects of having had Rheumatic Fever at 6. So it could have even started that early, can't tell!

Skye
  11. lin21

lin21 New Member

I'm 46 now, was diagnosed at 42, but I definitely had it 7 years, so 39 but prior to that it may have began. I suffered with severe endo though for years and then at 35 had my daughter.
  12. goaska29

goaska29 New Member

The first symptoms I ever noticed were between the ages of 20 and 21. But they faded after about 6 months or so. I never knew what was wrong during that time, but I tried to forget about it. I was pretty healthy and led a very active life until I was about 25 1/2. That's when it really hit me and I was unable to work or go to grad school.

It's been about a year and a half, and I just started to feel well enough to start a part-time job next week.

I don't think this chapter of my life is completely over yet, but I think I've come to a level where I can manage my illness.

-GoAskAlice
  13. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

26 for me, IC two years before that.

Only had allergies when I was younger.

28 now!
  14. carebelle

carebelle New Member

congrats on your new job I hope you are doing well.
  15. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Wow, amazing that I just posted something similiar to this then see your post. How cool is that?

I suppose we are thinking alike. Should I delete my post?

BlueSky555
  16. carebelle

carebelle New Member

dont delete someone might see yours if they dont see mine
  17. jess

jess New Member

I was 7 and am now 57. It was after I had mono that symptoms started gradually and worsened as a teen. Actually, I kind of think I was born with it because I had lots of sore throats as a toddler with tonils out at 4.
  18. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

I am 43 now and about 8 years ago I began having severe foot pain and EXTREME exhaustion. I am not sure if it was due to CFS or undiagnosed diabetes. I went on for about 3 years like that when I got the "Big "D" diagnosis.....so who knows???? Now I am on an insulin pump and very controlled glucose but am still having CFS symptoms.
  19. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you, carebelle; I didn't delete the other one. Actually, I have a friend that told me she had it so I looked it up here and found out about it and more information on the board. I had most of the symptoms and was dx with FM; just found out. I don't know how long I have had it but been dealing with the symptoms since about 1996.

BlueSky555
  20. sisland

sisland New Member

as i look back i'm going to say about 8 years old remember have excruciating pain and passing out from time to time!......................................48 now so i guess 40 years!..........................................wow