How old were you at diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eggshel344, Jul 6, 2005.

1. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

I am just about the age of typical diagnosis for FM.

From what I have read it seems that it is most common at middle age, but I am only 28, also, if I am right about having it, I beleive that I have had it for at least 8-10 years, as these symptoms are not recent.

so I guess my questions are how old were you at diagnosis, and how long do you think you had FM before being properly diagnosed?

Thanks-
    Samantha
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

and many of the symptoms I have had for years without being able to connect the dots.

Sonya
  3. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

But again, had symptoms for a while before they figured it out.
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

At the time of my diagnosis I was 47 years old, but most problems got bad when I was 46. I think I had FMS for many years prior to that, but just didn't know what my muscle problems were from.

I am 55 now...

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Samantha:
    I was 45 and have had it for five years.
    NyroFan
  6. Meekah

Meekah New Member

Was just finally dx. in April of this year, so I'm 36. I've been sick with CFS/FMS for atleast 10 years.

Hugs
    Meekah
  7. joc_07

joc_07 New Member

I am 24 and I was diagnosed a few months ago. And that is because I finally found a Dr. who would listen to me. After years of repeatedly saying that there was something wrong with me and my home town Dr.'s not listening I finally found a Dr. in Edmonton who listened.

Even in high school I didn't want to participate in sports because it caused to much pain and just wore me out. I've been called lazy for a long time. So I have been suffering the effects of this condition for a long time.

I never thought it would be Fibro, I thought for sure I had arthritis or MS. Never once did the thought of Fibro ever come up because I never heard to much about it. Now to get my family to recognize my problem!
  8. kimkane

kimkane New Member

I was 40. I am 47 now.
  9. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but it had affected my ability to walk 7 years earlier.
  10. BLUEROSE7

BLUEROSE7 New Member

24 but had symptoms many years before being diagnoised!!

But really hit me hard at 24 and has only gotten worse for me. I am now 30 will be 31 on the 11th of this month!

Hugs
    Bluerose
    [This Message was Edited on 07/06/2005]
  11. soonerchic10

soonerchic10 New Member

I was 20. It couldn't have hit me at a worse time. Sophomore year at OU, I was enrolled in 21 hours of class and working 52 hours a week. It hit me at the worst time possible.
  12. darude

darude New Member

I was 52 but suspect had for years! At 52 collapsed completely and have not been same since. Also found a lot of other problems since then. Working until 52 and then no more! Waiting for disability and working on second appeal.
  13. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

..but I know I've had it for at least ten years - since I had my hysterectomy in 1995. And I've probably had it for years before that. Before it ever had a name.
  14. swiss

swiss New Member

I was diagnosed when I was 34. For years (since 17 yrs) I had wierd things happening- fatigue, pain in neck (severe), migraines, dizziness,etc. I thought I was depressed, crazy, lazy, a hypocontriac...but finally after many years I was diagnosed.
  15. iforgotagain

iforgotagain New Member

I was 30 when I started having severe symptoms but I had mild symptoms for years. The doctor told me I was just getting older and that's why I didnt feel well. But at 31 I was not prepared to be "so old" I couldnt get out of bed or take care of my three kids. So I found another doctor who diagnosed it quickly.
  16. pepper

pepper New Member

I had a bout of mono in Jan'93 and basically never got better. I was diagnosed with CFS in Mar'93 and with FM about a year later.

Pepper
  17. Cookie3

Cookie3 New Member

I was 28 shortly after having my first child.
  18. eggshel344

eggshel344 New Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I feel exactly as some of you have said, so old for my age. I contstantly joke about being 28 going on 65, and people just look at me like I am nuts, little to they realize it's really how I feel sometimes.

As scary as the idea of being diagnosed with Fibro is, I am looking foward to seeing the doc on monday and seeing what he says. At least knowing what is wrong would be a start at being able to take care of myself after all these years.

Hugs to all-
    Samantha
  19. crazydaisy0578

crazydaisy0578 New Member

It was just almost a year and a half ago that I was diagnosed..

My life has changed dramtically. In some ways better and some ways worse!

Hugs to everyone!
  20. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I was 19 years old..am worse now than ever and am 27 now.

[ advertisement ]