How old were you when you got FMS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iconracr, Jul 29, 2003.

1. iconracr

iconracr New Member

Just wondering how old everyone was when they got FMS or CFS. I had CFS first then FMS. I got it when I was 28 after a car accident didn't heal. My was brought on my breast implants.

Also, did any one you have breast implants? If so did you have them out?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2003]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I was about 30, got pneumonia, then pleurisy, then bronchitis, had just had a baby four months earlier.

Was diagnosed with Fibrositis (which the name was changed to Fibromyalgia right afterwards) about 20 years ago. But think I contacted it with the pneumonia and all the time I was treated for pleurisy, it was FM.

No breast implants.

My cousin had them and contacted Lupus, had them removed but it did not help her condition.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Myth

Myth New Member

I am one of those that developed FMS without infection, surgery or trauma. It began when I was 12, with a severe sleeping disorder, fatigue and aches. My mom says I began to complain about pain when I was 8, but my memory does not go that far back. My doctors swung back and forth on the diagnosis for years. i was not diagnosed until I was 20.
    Myth
  4. shoshi68

shoshi68 New Member

34 but had it for several years before. I think it began after I had my second -last- child. I came down with a postpartum infection two weeks after he was born, was hospitalized (thank goodnes for anitbiotics). i became very weak and tired and always achy. I had to have a hysterectomy, related to the infection... at the end of 32nd year, I got the flu that never went away.
  5. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I know definitely, age 24, but at age 17 I got bilateral knee injuries & my knees have ALWAYS bothered me since. Also, around the same time I was in a motor vehicle accident & didn't get too hurt, but was "anemic" & no further work-up was done. So, possibly 17, definitely 24. dolsgirl
  6. mycatprint

mycatprint New Member

I can remember having tender points before I started school, but of course I was told "nobody else hurts there -- so neither do you" and learned not to mention it very much. I grew up thinking everyone felt this way and so learned to hide it and just cope. I have had disturbed sleep patterns all my life also.

The chronic all-over, all the time, screeching pain, didn't come on until menopause. I was 40 and all the doctors told me I was too young for menopause -- but I stoped having menses then. My hormones were tested and doc found nothing out of the ordinary -- and had no explaination why I was not having periods -- but was adamant that I was NOT going into menopause. Silly DOC!

I was actually diagnosed with it about 3 years ago -- because I started researching my symptoms on the net, and asked for a referral to a rheumy. Original doc disagreed with the rheumy dx and told me I was just depressed! He refused to recognize or treat the pain. I fired that doc and went shopping for a new one who would be willing to consider the research I had done. Have since been to a different rheumy and have a bonafied - documented - dx of FMS.

The point here, is that I don't know which answer fits your question. I have had this for as long as I can remember, but no actual dx until fairly recently.

I have not had breast implants. Always had bigger breasts than I wanted. (lol, we're never satisfied with our own bodies, huh? I would have given them away if I could.)

I seem to be rambling here, so I will end this message.

Hugs from Cat
  7. Betsy2

Betsy2 New Member

I seemed to have symptoms since I was a girl in elementary school but it just got ignored. I knew there was something really wrong in about 1996 and went to see a physician, then another and finally a rheaumatologist who confirmed the my PA diagnosis. So I guess, I can say I was diagnosed when I was 42.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2003]
  8. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

I was in a car accident when I was 20 year old and have not recovered since. I'm 28 now. Looking at these post I see a trend in the car accidents department, interesting...

Rachel
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2003]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Since I believe we are genetically predisposed to these illnesses, I think the question is, "Whey did your illnesses get triggered?" There are some whose illnesses were triggered by any number of stresses on the system and who then went into remission until the next stressful event.

Pretty much anything can trigger our illnesses. The question of what causes our illnesses has been asked many times and the answers have been so diverse that it seems anything can trigger our illnesses, especially during times of high stress in our lives.

What is changing is that it appears that people's illnesses are being triggered at younger and younger ages. Docs are seeing more and more children with our illnesses. Some believe it is due to all the pollution and additives in our food which lower the threshold of suseptible persons to having their illnesses triggered full blown.

My Mother had her first flare in her 70's and appeared to recouperate but was never quite the same. I became ill after a mycoplasma infection in my 40's, but I can look back into childhood and see symptoms which were predictive of things to come. Both my daughters are in their 30's with full-blown FMS.

Love, Mikie
  10. Flamingo

Flamingo New Member

I remember having pain at night time as a child! I know wonder if that could have been the beginning. I had my knee caps removed when I was 17 which has caused leg paid since! In the early 80s I got a so called flu that never went away!!! Then they dxd mono. I never really felt the same since then! Of course, some days are better than others but I never felt any relief until recently. Although the fatigue just will not leave me alone! By the way, I am 47 now!
    Peace To All,
    Flamingo
  11. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

but think I might have had some symptoms longer than that.
  12. iconracr

iconracr New Member

My body hurt when I was expecting my second/last child. I got an infection after my c-section. Since Sept. 11th just happened no one was doing their job very well. I had to go to the Drs office every day for an injection of antibiotic's. I was so sick. They couldn't do a hysterectomy because I bleedout during surgery and my blood count was low.

I had depression and felt like I had the flu forever. It was hard to realize what was part of being a new Mom with another child, what was the sadness of Sept. 11th (I have family that is with the FDNY and my Dad was there with FEMA). And what was FM.

Thanks for your reply. You have been so helpful.

Cheryl
  13. iconracr

iconracr New Member

First, you need to go to this site. www.breastimplantattorney.com and read.

It took years to find that I had a leak. I was wearing my seatbelt. At the point where the seatbelt hit my breast is where I had the leak. It was nothing major just enough to make me sick and for the silicone to get into my body. How did they find it. I had a very painful pimple. Around it was VERY red and hot. When squeezed a clear liquid came out and then it got better. This went on and on.

I was sent to Dr Vacey at the University of South Florida. He is the pioneer of Silicone research from the early 70's. He said it is so common.

Did you know, ALL breast implants will rupture, it is just a matter of time. They should be replaced every 15 years at the min.

I qualified for a settlement with the Class Action suit.

I hope you feel better soon.

Cheryl
  14. libra55

libra55 New Member

I was 45 when I was diagnosed with FMS. This was after a bout with Lyme disease. I will be 48 this year and I am still in chronic pain.

I do feel, however, that I had these symptoms MOST OF MY LIFE, and they were not given credibility. Like others on this board, I was told I was simply depressed, all in my head etc. It was only when I went to be tested for the Lyme, and it was positive, and I was sent to the rheumy, that he told me a lot of my symptoms came from fibromyalgia. I do remember having the vestibular symptoms (dizziness etc.) back when I was in my 20's. I think that is probably when it all started as I was quite healthy as a child. I think I really began to have the pain and fatigue in my late 20's/early 30's. So to answer your inquiry my diagnosis didn't come til I was well into my 40's but I think I have had this dd a long time.
  15. inkspo

inkspo New Member

looking back i had symptoms into my childhood. But i was not dx'd until i was 51 [i am 53 now] What brought the fibro on was a gall bladder operation. I woke up in the recovery room and my back was killing me. It took 5 pain shots to settle it down.That was the onset of the fibro and i was officially dx'd the next yr....Bonnie
  16. atrinigyal29

atrinigyal29 New Member

The first symptoms (fatigue and dizziness) started when I was around 23. Those symptoms got progressively worse and more symptoms appeared. I got full-blown FM when I was 28 years old.
    Alicia
  17. iconracr

iconracr New Member

You could use the support.

Did you do anything about it with the settlement. You know the shell is still silicon?

I filed a few years ago. Did you have the Ana test to make sure you don't have Lupus?

You can go to www.breastimplantattorney.com to get information about the affects of silicon on the body.

I hope your sister comes around and you start to feel better soon.
  18. CarolK

CarolK New Member

When I was a little girl I cried myself to sleep from what everyone called "growing pains".... they continued for what seems like years. As adult I had a whip-lash and after that I started the aches and pains all over. Terrible fatigue came after a tooth extraction and infection... then had polymyalgia rheumatica and went on prednisone.... then came full blown FM and CFS. It was a slow progression...today at 59 I'm in pain most of the time and fatigued as well! But nothing is impossible with God and I believe someday I will be healed!
  19. jyl

jyl Member

I was probably 25 or 26, no trauma involved, just gradual onset.

jyl