How Scientific Is Modern Medicine Really? - Joseph Mercola MD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AllWXRider, Nov 5, 2010.

1. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

"However, these studies are what doctors use to prescribe drugs or recommend surgery. Ioannidis asserts that as much as 90 percent of the published medical information relied on by doctors is flawed or incorrect"

"The British Medical Journal's "Clinical Evidence" analyzed common medical treatments to evaluate which are supported by sufficient reliable evidence (BMJ, 2007). They reviewed approximately 2,500 treatments and found:

•13 percent were found to be beneficial
    •23 percent were likely to be beneficial
    •Eight percent were as likely to be harmful as beneficial
    •Six percent were unlikely to be beneficial
    •Four percent were likely to be harmful or ineffective.
    •46 percent were unknown whether they were efficacious or harmful"

The article is too lengthy to post entirely here. I think the wisdom here is to research every drug and "medical opinion" yourself.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

We recently had another post about this and I found the following helpful.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

You make a good point. The following is from Science Based Medicine.

"We advocate science-based medicine (SBM) on this blog. However, from time to time, I feel it necessary to point out that science-based medicine is not the same thing as turning medicine into a science. Rather, we argue that what we do as clinicians should be based in science. This is not a distinction without a difference.

If we were practicing pure science, we would be theoretically able to create algorithms and flowcharts telling us how to care for patients with any given condition, and we would never deviate from them. It is true that we do have algorithms and flowcharts suggesting guidelines for care for a wide variety of conditions, but there is wide latitude in them, and often a physician’s “judgment” still ends up trumping the guidelines.

While it is also true that sometimes physicians have an overinflated view of the quality of their own “clinical judgment,” sometimes to the point of leading them to reject well-established science, as Dr. Jay Gordon frequently does, what I consider to be physician’s judgment is knowing how to apply existing medical science to individual patients based on their circumstances and, yes, even desires and values."

ETA I broke the above into shorter paragraphs for easier reading.

[This Message was Edited on 11/11/2010]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Couldn't this be said about alternative doctors as well, possibly more?

Don't alternative doctors have practices?

I fail to see your point nor what it has to do with SBM.