How severe can you sensory overload get

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Joyce1, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Joyce1

Joyce1 New Member

Please let me know. I get really severe sensory overload just listening to the radio (music). I can only listen to straight text. No characters on audio books just lectures and dry stuff. I've been having trouble reading lately my eyes gett terribly tired and then I get adrenalin rush.

All in my head everyone is saying. sigh.....
    They say it is the concepts in the book that is effecting me. Well this is like the fourth time I've read that harry potter book yah know.

They are going to give me eeg test at my request but maybe I should just cancel and say ok I'm nuts...

joyce
  2. TerryS

TerryS Member

You know, this is a CRAZY symptom. I first thought I was nuts, but sure enough it can bother me just to hear a voice on the phone. Definitely when multiple people are in the room talking. Dogs barking. All of these things make my head spin and make me feel weak.

Reading books and even watching movies are often beyond my capabilities. I don't understand WHY this is happening??? All this free time on my hand and too disabled to do anything worthwhile with it.

TerryS
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I have gone through times when sensory overload takes over my life. It is in your head because its your head that is experiencing the overload (ha).

It comes in many forms for me;Sound, vision problems, motion, smell . I have lost my depth perception while driving, I have felt the floor moving under my feet, I can't read even with my glasses, I can't tolerate noise it causes confusion and anxiety. Smells can make me sick instantly. The list goes on.

You are not nuts it is part of the disease.
  4. ephemera

ephemera New Member

sensory overload is part of the big 3 for me: pain, fatigue & sensory overload.

I wear headphones & dark glasses for hours. I've tried shutting out many noises, vibrations, moving objects, etc. Can't watch lots of TV as the change in movement (such as zooming in on the weather map) or things overlapping each other send me into a migraine.

Garbage trucks, helicopters, leaf blowers, ambulances, ceiling fans, etc. drive me into a dark room where I have to lay down & deal with flashing in my eyes, nausea from the room moving (even when I'm not moving), etc.

I was at a conference last weekend a doctor said sensory overload is now where CFS was 10-20 years ago. Bummer for all of us!!!
  5. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I think it is similar to the idea of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity Syndrome. Another person on here gave me a link, and then I started reading about this "sensitive to EVERYTHING" (all stimulus) syndrome called MUSES.

I think it must be one of those overlapping issues. My daughter just turned the animation on for the icons, and I can hardly stand them! Just the movement of all those bright colors, and noise is the worst. Sunlight is too much, and I used to be a morning person.

The story on the site is about a famous singer with a band called Shanti, Shanti and she got so that she couldn't perform. I think this article is still up there.

http://www.mcsrr.org/
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

I will add to what others have said........words jump around so much at times that I can not read. I use to read a lot! Love to read. Or Did.

Take the test. You never know. We should keep searching and some of us do find answers this way, and are able to be better or part way better?

Blessings.........Susan

7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I believe noise sensitivity is a form of MCS. If you eliminate Aspartame and MSG (in any form) it's possible you'll see a huge improvement. I DID!!!!!!!!!! Research Russell Blaylock MD. He's been a huge help to me.
  8. Joyce1

Joyce1 New Member

For your support and understandings about this. I feel like I would appear as though they should put me in a psycho ward if subjected to enough noise ( and couldn't get away from it).

My doc recently said that I could not read cause of the concepts in the book. Odd enough I can listen news on the radio which has worse stuff. Reading is such a loss. I can't do much else.

I hate being labeled "all in my head" its such a copout and I start to think maybe if enough people tell me I'm nuts I should believed them.....

Sorry to keep dumping but I'm just so confused. I will take them test and try to think "who cares what they think they don't have to live it"

Tnaks you guys for a bit of a boost. :)

joyce
  9. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

why do you automaticly assume that everyone is using MSG or Aspertame?
    I just wonder because it seems that you post about that stuff a lot and it seems you think that is the reason for all of us being sick or for symptoms we have.

I don't use/consume things with either of those things in it.

I have sensory overload rather badly at times. I sometimes have to turn off the radio in the car if someone is trying to talk to me, or if the kids are in the car and they are talking.
    I also get really anxious when there are too many people in the room I'm in, or if they are talking, especially if they are trying to talk over each other.

I'm also very sensitive to perfumes and such. Especially at church. The ladies class I am in is really bad...it's a small room and the ladies in it are older, so they wear heavy perfume and a lot of it at times. UGH!
  10. ILM

ILM New Member

Sensory Integration Disorder.

2 of my kids have it.
  11. mezombie

mezombie Member

There's some good information about some of the causes of sensory overload on the post entitled

mezombie (bppv)

Might be worthwhile checking out.

Many of us seem to aquire some sort of problems with our vestibular (balance) system, which consists of the eyes, ears, and a part of the brain. If any part is out of whack, sensory overload can start.

The good news is that EEGs and other tests can pinpoint a diagnosis. The better news is that there are treatments for many of these problems!
  12. Joyce1

Joyce1 New Member

mezombie - I can't find that message in the search. Any other phrases that might link to it?

Me - overload manifests itself:

MUST have silence
    temper
    fatigue
    dizzyness
    anxiety leading to panic or adrenalin rush
    hunger

joyce
  13. mezombie

mezombie Member

If you type in

mezombie (bppv)

carefully, with a space between my username and the parenthesis, in the "search" box, and then click "go" next to by "title", it should come up.

I'll bump it up for you now, just for good measure.
  14. ephemera

ephemera New Member

sensory bump
  15. piebear

piebear New Member

I definitely don't have it as bad as everyone else but its still a problem for me as well.
    I have a problem with noise, smells, motion and sometimes light. Mostly though noise is the thing that gets to me the absolute most.
    And I've found out what being exposed to too much can do to me. For example the apartment we moved into about 5 1/2 months ago has very, very, very thin walls so I can hear EVERYTHING. And we have very, very noisy neighbors on top of it. And we live on the bottom floor. Oy.
    Anyway I've started to have whole body spasms and fatigue on a daily basis because it gets to me so much. I'm constantly hearing noises all day from the time I get up to when I go to sleep. I do try to block it out but its hard. So all I can do is make do until we can move. It bothers my husband too but it doesn't make him nuts like it does me. I get so irritable when I hear noises too. It turns me into a raging lunatic cause it bothers me so much. Its not fun being like this. :(

[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2007]