how soon must lyme be treated to be cured/or is it curable?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bevy2most, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

This is a repost from the lyme board, I only received one response, hopefully I will get more feedback here.

My son and sister both tested positive for lyme in this past week.

They are both in the Military, my son in Nc, my sis in Va.

Both of them were doing training missions at different places and both had to pull ticks off of them.

My sons symptoms came about 3 weeks later, and my sisters about 1 week later.

They are both on Doxy, my sis for 3 weeks, and my son for 6 weeks. My sister is starting to feel better, but not my son.

The only difference in the two are that my sis has been able to take a couple of days off, and my son has not.

I don't know that much about lyme, and I would appreciate any help you can give.

2. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Hi Bevy, Im sorry no one answered you on the Lyme board, I checked over there, but I dont see your post. I was diagnosed with lyme 1/08 and have been on abx ever since.
    Most llmds give abxs for at least 3-6 months to start. How long ago were they infected? Sandie
  3. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

My son was infected about a month ago, and my sis, about 3 weeks ago.

I hope it was caught early enough for them not to have the chronic symptoms.

4. EricaCFIDS

EricaCFIDS New Member

The sooner the better! I think if they start treatment right away, then it will not be as long as a chronic person. It's very early and that's good.

Can they see an LLMD? That would be the best. They are "lyme literate" mds. I really don't think even 6wks is long enough, more like up to 6 mos. Lyme is never completely cured, but is very treatable and gets put into a state of remission. It's important to treat it correctly though to do that.

Try looking at some other websites to educate yourself. Just google "lyme" or "lyme sites" and many places will come up for you to learn more.

Good luck!

All the best,
  5. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

With Lyme, time is of the essence,tell them to try to get there docs to give more abxs and go to for lyme disease doctor referal.(LLMD)Most maintstream docs. dont know enough about Lyme to treat it properly. They really need to see a LLMD for proper treatment. I know others who were treated with short term abxs and now they have chronic lyme. It is very important to see a LLMD. They have a better chance of recovery if treated properly in the early stages. Good Luck. Sandie
  6. erica741

erica741 New Member

I agree with EricaCFIDs and Sandie that both your son and sister should see an LLMD. (I am assuming they were treated through a general practioner in military?)

Even though your sister is feeling better, she should see an LLMD to make sure that the lyme is under control to prevent getting chronic lyme.

On the Lyme board, Victoria started a post entitled "LYME LINKS, INFO & PROTOCOLS SITES == please add on!". You will probably find a lot of good lyme sites there.

Let us know if you have any other questions or problems finding an LLMD, etc.

Good luck!

[This Message was Edited on 06/12/2008]