How stress creates inflammation......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ljimbo42, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

Inflammation is so intertwined with cfs/fm, I thought I would post this. I am certain that very high levels of stress played a big role in my developing cfs/fm. I don't think stress is the only cause by any means, but certainly a piece of the "big picture" in developing cfs/fm. If you are still experiencing a lot of stress, finding ways to reduce that will probably help improve your health.

I think tremendous gains in health can be had by re-balancing gut flora and healing a leaky gut. The deeper I get into healing my gut, the more I realize how profoundly messed up it was and still is to some degree.

The irritable bowel syndrome I experienced (which was fairly mild) DID NOT reflect the incredible dysfunction of my digestive tract. It is very possible to have dysbiosis and a leaky gut and have mild symptoms or even no symptoms at all.

Also, think about the connection stress has to the gut. Stress can cause diarrhea, nausea, heartburn etc. So there is a strong connection with stress and the gut. Maybe something to think about?
    RadioFM likes this.
  2. RadioFM

RadioFM Active Member

I feel stress can be a huge contributing factor as it can lead to elevated cortisol levels. But, at the same time it can be a "cop out" Doctors use when they lack the information needed to effectively to their jobs.

Possible "Examples" of Doctors not doing his or her job below:

"It may be stress so I will not bother testing your B12 today."

"It may be stress so I will not bother testing you for Lyme disease."

"It may be stress so I will not bother referring you to a gastroenterologist"

Doctors use to blame stomach ulcers on stress for years as people would suffer and some would even develop stomach cancer and die!

What was the real cause of most peptic ulcers?

H-pylori infection -(Not stress)

"H. pylori infection occurs when a type of bacteria called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infects your stomach. This usually happens during childhood. A common cause of peptic ulcers, H. pylori infection may be present in more than half the people in the world."
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  3. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

I agree. I was actually referred to a gastroenterologist for my IBS-D and he told me it was caused by stress. Clearly it wasn't caused by stress or I would still have it. I use to get an IBS flair at least once a week. I haven't had a flair in months and my stress levels have not changed. What has changed, is that I started an aggressive dysbiosis and leaky gut protocol 4-5 months ago.

So it was dysbiosis and leaky gut, not stress, that caused my IBS. Although stress sometimes did give me flairs and made it worse, it was not the underlying cause.

Unfortunately conventionally trained doctors get only about 8-10 hours of training in diet and nutrition, in all the many years of schooling they do. So there is not a lot of they can do to help people with chronic disease, except treat the symptoms. Yes, H. pylori is another good example of an underlying infection and not stress causing disease.

It does not surprise me that GERD, IBS, H.pypori, and Gastro-intestinal problems in general have reached epidemic proportion and continue to rise. I believe, much of that has to do with the over-use of anti-biotics. I have taken vast amounts of anti-biotics in my life-most of them necessary at the time.

I use to get bronchitis once or twice a year for 15 years or more, until I found that echinacea, astragalus and other supplements would keep my immune system up when I got a cold or a flu and prevent it from turning into bronchitis. I haven't had a case of bronchitis in 10-15 years now. So we need more functional medicine doctors to help society as a whole learn these things.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    RadioFM likes this.