How strong of meds can my PCP prescribe??PLZ HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. fieldmouse

    fieldmouse New Member

    Does anyone know how strong of meds my PCP can prescribe. I don't see a pain specialist due to the fact that no one in my state is taking new patients. At least none that I can find. I guess I am wondering what my doc can prescribe. I have heard that they can only give you certain things. I need something stronger than vicodin. My knee and wrist hurt SO bad....Any help would be great...thanks...Mick!!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 10/03/2006]
  2. mildred623

    mildred623 New Member

    Not sure if maybe the rules are different for each state. But I know here (in Ohio) my PCP RX's Vicodan, and Fentynal pain patches. Have also had PCP RX oxycontin and Methadone in the past. I think sometimes they try to just tell us things like their not allowed to RX certian things to get them out of doing it. I know one PCP told me he wasnt allowed to RX Methadone because he wasnt a pain specialist. So the next doc I went to (another PCP) RX'd the Methadone with no problem. So obviously he just didnt want to do it and was looking for an excuse.
  3. fieldmouse

    fieldmouse New Member

    I am in Oregon and I have been told the same thing. That I have to see a pain specailist. Wonder how I can find out the truth....Anyone in Oregon know the rules???? Thanks...Mick!!
  4. FMsolider

    FMsolider New Member

    I heard that any doc can prescribe you anything - except intovenus drip and the like.
  5. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    Doctors have many drugs for pain. You need to be very clear you need pain treatment. Don't specifically ask for one kind, I think that is what raises red flags with doctors.

    If you are in terrible pain, they should be able to give you Lortabs, Vicodens or something that strong.

    They might help you get a "Tens" unit for pain in your wrist and knee, not sure.

    If your doctor won't treat your pain you might need to change doctors.

[ advertisement ]