How to ask for pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Apr 22, 2009.

1. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I'm doing better with the brain fog and some of the pain/weakness by using the methylation protocol. But I still have "bad days" where nothing will touch the pain except Vicodin or similar.

Yesterday I began to feel unwell and today have swollen glands, sore throat, slight fever, all over major aches and pains. Sound familiar?

All I want is a handful of tablets per month for the really bad days. I've never become addicted nor abused any drug.

How do you broach the subject with the docs?! Last time I had strep throat I asked for Vicodin because of the pain and was told to take ibuprofen instead, which doesn't do a bit of good.

If I am in pain, I can't work, and I desperately need to work. So - how do you make doctors understand that you are not "drug seeking" - you legitimately need HELP!?
  2. tandy

tandy New Member

For me,... asking for help w/ pain was my toughest battle.
    Drs just did'nt wanna know a thing when it came to pain meds.
    what worked for others did'nt help me. (ultram)
    so finally after dealing w/this situation for yrs, and becoming more & more depressed
    about "not living',......
    I told my Rhuemy that if he could'nt or would'nt treat my pain then who can he refer me to that will. I told him that I just could'nt do it anymore with freakin tylenol or advil or ultrams!
    those pain meds are OTC for a reason. they are for simple/mild pain.
    This Fibro pain is far from mild.
    so,..I'd suggest,especially if you have a dr. thats been treating you for awhile,...
    just ask.
    I hope you have luck~

3. loto

loto Member

I know what you mean, but I haven't had this problem with my doctor. The thing is, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing!! But, I made him understand that I was SICK AND TIRED of living with all this stupid pain. Just try to make your doctor understand that since there's no cure for this crazy stuff, he/she should do something to make your quality of life tolerable!!!!!!!!!! My doctor understood, and did have compassion there. He may not know much about Fibro, and I have to do my own research to ask for tests, etc to do, but he does understand pain!
    Hopefully your doctor will understand, and prescribe pain meds so you'll be able to cope!
  4. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I was so fend up with the pain, even taking the Lyrica which does help a bit. I simply told the doctor that I wasn't able to cope with the pain anymore and that every time I went down the liquor isle I considered getting some...I was getting that desperate. And I wondered could be try something for the pain.

Another suggestion would be see a pain management doctor.

5. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

everytime i was given meds, it's because i just came right out and asked for them.

i was nervous and scared to, but i just did it. i was tired of being in pain.

try to muster up all your courage, and just come out and ask, "can i please have something for my pain?"

let the doctor have it from there. if they have reasons why not to give them to you, give them the reasons why you need them: you cannot perform your everyday duties. because the pain stops you, you are having trouble falling and staying asleep because of the pain, the pain is causing you to feel down, etc.

just be direct. you deserve to have a life free of pain.

best wishes to you.